Anything that does not fit into other topics.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

8C recent review

Post by x-rad »

Out of the Detroit pressrooms: Seems some are excited about Alfa's return to the states but bring up an old classic concern...the gearbox.

here is a quote from a recent Autoweek review:

"While there's little to fault the 8C's engine, its gearbox has some annoying traits. In standard mode there is an uncomfortable pause between the swapping of ratios on part throttle. It is nothing too dramatic; the shift action itself is relatively smooth, but the lapse between the disengaging one gear and engaging the next is such that it can hamper progress. In sport mode, where the shift time is halved, it is noticeably more urgent and brutal, slamming home gears with little subtlety at higher revs. All you are left thinking about is long-term gearbox reliability…."

So the new car costs 225,000$, and at this rate, I calculated one gear repair of the synchros would be at about 5000$ ... :(

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 0564424642
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Does anyone know who makes the gearbox? Alfa, Maserati, Ferrari? Some other, independent manafacturer?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Is it the same as the Cambiocorsa paddle shift tranny? i thought this was a ZF tranny...??
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

FOR A CAR THAT IS SUPPOSED TO SPEARHEAD THE AMERICAN MARKET THERE SHOULD BE NO COMPLAINTS... There are only 500 in the world and they cost over 200k why would ALFA cut corners on the gb?! I for one will be disappointed, nay furious, with the powers that be if this cars doesnt rock the world for the next 20 years!

ya know what i mean! :x
v
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Hey Sport-t: My biggest complaint is that I am #501 on the list!!! :D

...but for that price it better be great! oh yeah, what other model are going to be imported????
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

I believe the 159, Brera and Spider are also meant to reach your shores.

OT: The 6sp transmission is meant to have been borrowed from the first versions of the Maserati Quattroporte. That goes along with the Maserati engine (albeit enlarged to 4.7L over 4.2L) and the floor is also from the Quattroporte.

Edit: Quick review of a previous thread elsewhere confirms they should be rolled out 2009 after they've done the standard tweak and refine. The 8C should be out next year! I've heard rumour an Australian Alfisiti has one on order, so hopefully it'll be out and about!

ROCK ON
R~R
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Yes, that Australian Alfisti is me!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I've never heard of a robotized gear change mechanism free of criticism. The SMGII, F1, E-Gear, Cambiocorsa, Selespeed, etc all have their fans and haters. It's either too jerky or too slow.
Dr. Alban
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

i heard x-trac trannies were pretty good...??...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Can we agree on that one persons ass can not determinate how durable a transmission is?
I'm sure it will be fine.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

I am with Mats on this one.This gearbox is related to Ferrari's F1 system,and if Autocars recent test of the latest F430 Scuderia is to be believed,the latest incarnation is superior to even that found on the 599 or the Enzo. :shock: Based on that,it's a no brainer that Alfa will have access to the latest upgrades before the 8C is handed over to customers...I hope. :wink:

Our American cousins will also be getting an extended run of 8C Soft tops I see.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Is the bulk of 8C numbers going to the US or Europa?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I read today that it's the Maser QP gearbox. Makes perfect sense.

80 cars to the US was mentioned in the same article. Guess there are a few going to the Japaneese and Saudi market too.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

I saw an exact breakdown of figures somewhere, but I can tell you that between 90-100 will be headed to the States, and they're all accounted for.

Edit: These figures were from Wikipedia, I've seen some articles stating 99 for the US..

Country Number of cars
USA 90
Italy 80
Germany 80
Japan 70
France 40
United Kingdom 40
Switzerland 35
The Netherlands 10
Others 55
Sum 500

ROCK ON