Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That ride height looks pretty good. I am always a little nervous after a torsion bar adjustment and before I set the car back on the ground. If it's not right, it's a lot of extra work.

Fernando, thanks for you comments. The supercharged 2.5 will pull strongly until the engine reaches a structural limit or the supercharger runs out of capability. With this particular engine, the stock rods are the main limitation, hence the 7000rpm rev limiter.

Greg
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

soo 3rd gear revlimiter(6500) hit on a 410gear TS box....how fast "should" that be

twas a good day on some deserted backroads
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Well if it is anything similar, I hit about 150 - 155km/h at rev limiter (bit higher in the the 75, 6,800rpm or so for some reason) in my standard 75 TS. Won't be the same but might be close.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Thought it would be a good time to give you guys some feedback on driving the car after Barry had put on the new 17inch mags and lowered the ride height slightly along with the 4 pot uprated front brakes.

My brother then replaced the dampers/shocks all round for me as well.You ask why didn't I do it ? Easy,Barry and my brother are far more mechanically inclined than me... :oops:

First impression was the stiffness and noticing bumps on my normal route I never knew existed before. :shock: I love it,but I realise it isn't everyone's cup of tea to have a fairly stiff setup.It's not that stiff that your swapping lanes without any driver input from a bump hit at too high a speed though.

Having 235X40X17 as opposed to my previous 205X50X15 has made a massive difference to outright grip in a corner. :shock: Seriously I am impressed,would never have guessed it would be so different.In a few weeks I will be fitting a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Assimetrics courtesy of my cousin who is in the tyre game. :D

Took a trip down to the coast last week,a drive one way of about 620kms.On the way down I hooked up with a new BMW 740i.This chap was keen for a bit of highway fun and as traffic was almost non existant in the middle of the Free State who was I to say no.... :lol: Well First off he led the way and I could easily run with him to an indicated 6000rpms in 5th.He then let me take the lead and we had a nice run with him tucked in my slip stream from about 4000rpms to just before 6500rpms in 5th.At about the 5500rpms mark the 3.6 starts pulling away and at 6500 I was about 5 car lengths ahead of him. :D I called it quits after that and let him past as the SO said that is enough,point proved. :wink:

The handling through the Kwazulunatal mountains was an absolute joy.No need for crazy antics to put a massive smile on my face.Mountain roads,a GTV6 and 16% extra power courtesy of the sea air compared to my usual 6000 Foot elevation above sea level was an absolute joy.

The ride back home was frikken insane in that traffic was so heavy the trip took me just over 10hours. :shock: One brief highlight was a moment when the heavens smilled on me and a Porsche Cayenne GTS owner and allowed us a brief traffic free run again through the Free State... Let's say I was suitably surprised to be able to run with him and when we both had a chance to flatten the middle pedal I pulled just over a car length on him up to 6500rpms in 5th. :shock: :D :twisted:

Okay I admit it,giving new car owners a bit of a carrot with an old Alfa just makes my day...I mean the current crop of Alfa's are a serious let down on the performance front,8C excluded,so we 116 owners have to keep the flag flying... :lol:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

These past few years and I never noticed this OTHER category on the forum ... Now I know where all the BS is!

Does anyone still love driving their GTV6 anymore? Yes - indeed :D In fact if I didn't it really would have gotten burried in hole sometime after my latest thrown donut replace all guibos driveshaft straightened (because it bent) and rebalanced ordeal ... my those little guibos have gone up in price haven't they:shock:! This was probably the 50th no 80th time in 19 years of ownership that I was just fed-up, then I get it fixed and am in love again!

Took the v6 out earlier this evening, still feeling like I need to take it easy on those guibos, when there I was at a stop before a nice gentle uphill S ... it just never felt so good to rip second gear :D

Honestly though it is the kid before Christmas thing that has had me holding on to this car for so long! For me the car is the perfect Hor Rod Sportscar, it makes great power, handles well and sounds great. It has it's shortcomings but it's the driving experience that makes it so fun.

I can only imagine that 3.6l!

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Gregory I am on GTV number 4 already,which just goes to show how addictive these cars are. :lol:

I too have had my fair share of breaking guibos.Barry replaced my front one for me a few months back.

I will never forget the way my one guibo let go in my first 2 litre GTV.One quiet morning chasing 7000rpms and the next thing is I feel this clunk underneath the car.I immidiatly looked into the rear view mirror to catch sight of a piece of rubber bouncing off the tarmac and then attaining a height I would never have thought possible. :shock:

Back then my brother and I removed the prop,got a new rubber had it balanced,then after work on the Friday had the engine out to replace the studs that it broke off my flywheel and everything back in the car by Saturday morning! :lol:

Later that day a fast drive in the country and it was love all over again.

As I was saying to Barry a while back,an Alfa can take you to heights of happiness and to the depths of despair all in the same day. :twisted:

I can clearly recall another prop issue lying in the pouring rain on a cold floor taking a 2 litre GTV prop out...wasn't love then I can assure you. :lol:

I must admit I have never encountered so many guys who want to take me on in impromptu races since I had the 3.6 motor done.It's kind of weird actually.Yesterday a typical VW Golf driver wanted to have a go from the traffic light.This guys seat was sitting somewhere in the back,you know that recliner position they are so fond of? This was a MK1 Golf with a turbo as I heard the distinctive pop of the wastegate when he pulled up alongside me.Cue two TLGP's and the 3.6 handing out a hiding both times... :D Probarly went straight home to turn up the boost... :lol:
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Okay now I am laughing, because I just happened to be cruising youtube and saw a video listed for 24v 3.6l gtv6! I'm thinking it must be one and the same since it is red ... sounds great!

I've had much more fun with the 3.0 in the car - but with the 83 gearbox I still have to be in the right place at the right time when it comes to what speed and what gear ... 4th gear is useless from a downshift from 5th.

The other week I surprised the hell out of a guy in a newer Mini-S, who went around to pass me with a 1/4 mile before the exit that I just knew he wanted to get off at ... not sure how they compare hp/weight but I just don't think the guy was expecting it when I dropped from 5th to 3rd, it was darn close but he couldn't get by me in the distance to the exit and had to fall in behind. I was surprised because I was thinking it was a regular Mini, not a turbo!

Over the years though I've found that most people even in "hot" cars still pretty much use them in a straight line and given a winding road you can leave them far behind without pushing very hard. :D

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

That would be mine Gregory. :D It sounds a little better now after Barry did some extra fettling awhile back.

Gregory one can only imagine the shock of a guy in a new car getting pasted by an old Alfa. :lol:

I agree with your sentiments regarding corners.I have very rarely encountered guys in hot cars willing to push it through the twisties. :D I mean straights are just there to take you to the next challenge aren't they ? :twisted:

All in all I am just glad the GTV6 community still enjoys there cars the way they were intended to.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

we have a 06 mini cooper s with the jcw kit (book hp is 207)

it weighs 2800 just like my GTV6

scott
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

MR2 Zig wrote:we have a 06 mini cooper s with the jcw kit (book hp is 207)

it weighs 2800 just like my GTV6

scott
Okay there you go - I figured it was probably the similar ... and with a far better gear change!

The other week back my kids school had a small car show/picnic i was actually surprised from the number of car people that made comments like, "I remember these, great looking cars!" GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

i LOVE my 6...and JJ thanks for the overly tight TS limited slip

245$ but i think it was worth it
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

"Does anyone still love driving their gtv6"
yes, last I did 1,5 month ago :x Hard to come by a good TS box here :evil:
Attachments
ABCD0017.JPG
ABCD0017.JPG (57.37 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
You can always count on your peer's support.... ;)
You can always count on your peer's support.... ;)
ABCD0018.JPG (56.37 KiB) Viewed 6298 times
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Nice to see you guy's are still loving your GTV6's. :D

Pietre you must be a happy chappy with Robert's great victory in Canada on Sunday ? :D

As for Lewis rear ending Kimi.... :evil:
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Fernando wrote:
Pietre you must be a happy chappy with Robert's great victory in Canada on Sunday ? :D
Yes very much :D Can't say the same about our national soccer team on Euro 2008 :lol: But hey who gives a crap about twenty something sweaty males running on a flattened meadow after an inflated bladder? :lol:
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

Lewis needed that, to bring him back down to earth, he IS a rookie despite his big bad ass act. Kimi is too "ice" cool tho. If that had been Senna and prost, there would have been a dammned good punch up :lol: