Anything that does not fit into other topics.
nisaar
Gold
Gold

Please Dont Shoot !!!!

Post by nisaar »

Hey Guys I know I can get murderd for say'in this but New Alfa's arn't that bad,

I went on holiday with a 164 it a death trap in the rain with the torque steer, but a nice place to be when on holiday, the AC can crack you teeth it so cold nice fuel consumption, all round well finished car.I mean for a 1997 car it has heated seats not a common feature in some BM's 2day
Attachments
Or Do we live for this ?
Or Do we live for this ?
2873465903_5cc097b85a.jpg (146.66 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
20070402010801!Alfa164_Q4.jpg
20070402010801!Alfa164_Q4.jpg (112.84 KiB) Viewed 4894 times
Lifes a journey? F*** the ride get there first ALFA ROMEO oo=v=oo
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Please Dont Shoot !!!!

Post by mjr »

the 164 doesn't really qualify as a "new" alfa It was designed and penned back in the 80's. Althout it was front wheel drive, it retains many of the characteristics of alfas from old, and was still built with passion. Things started to go wrong really when FIAT got more involved. It all started to go wrong with the alfa 145 and 146, and it kind of set the tone to come.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Sorry :? ... it is front wheeldrive :shock: ... how much more wrong do you want to see? :lol:

FIAT actually postponed the first appearance of the 164 to improve on build-quality. :? It also shares its platform with the Lancia Thema, FIAT Croma and Saab 9000.

164 is a very nice comfy car with plenty of go, especially the 24v/ QV versions. Q4 is too heavy for me but if it could be converted to RWD i would consider buying one. 8)
Drive it like you stole it...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I began to face reality a few years and i was not going to change brand of car so I keep the GTV's for track racing, sundays and the 164's for daily use. Front wheel drive does not bother me as you cant extend the car on our public roads anyway to hang the back out. Now you are going to shoot me but I am really enjoying the new spider.(roof up - idont like sun). What scuttle shake ?
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Kev,

Which spider? The 916 series or the Brera Spider? I think the 916 has a fair amount of cowl shake. Nice car though.

If Brera I would get a FWD S version (UK only). 4WD version is pretty useless I think, heavy, no S version and gear ratios seem to be all wrong.

I drive a 164QV daily, nice car. Much better built than any RWD Alfa.
Dr. Alban
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Z, the last of 916 series 24v. You cant really compare build quality to that of the rwd to the newer cars as materials(plastics) have improved. Having said that I think the build quality of my mothers 155 16v motor( not chain driven one) is a shocker.
Oh, and if they built the 164 radiator the same as the old rwd GTV's I think it would be perfect. I have replaced five 164 radiators between three 164's(total km +- 1million) . talking manual 164's, got rid of the auto 164 after second gearbox but it did do 380 000km.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

I would agree. the 155 was absolutely disgusting build quality. The 155 was an Alfa badged FIAT through and through, and a terrible replacement for the 75 IMO. it was built from the same stable as the Tempra and Typo, 2 of the cheapest nastiest cars, Fiat ever built.....
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

If you have a 155 with a v6 or the old 8 valve TS it is a good and quite reliable car in my eyes... :? electrical problems and worn suspension bushing are the most common roblems on these cars but otherwise they are pretty good.TS 8v engine is bulletproof an lasts almost forever. seen quite a few with over 400.000 km on them.

The 16v TS engine is a POS... either the belt breaks or it loosses a conrod bearing. :( The engines in the 156 and 147 have the same problems. There are always cars for sale with broken engines, and a used 16v engine is not cheap over here since it will fit the 156 also. Many 155's have been bought for their engine to fix a broken 156. :(
Drive it like you stole it...
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Yup, TS16V only good when it runs. Burns tons of oil and loses rod bearings, breaks timing belts, destroys the cam variator (or maybe it wished it was a TDi, because that what it sounds like when the variator goes).

I have a 155 2.5 V6 widetrack. Very nice car. Stock for stock against a 75 V6, the 155 wins hands down in the handling department. So far very reliable.

I saw many photos of a racer 155 3.0 24V with a 916 rear suspension (one of you Dutch guys). You can tell as it has negative camber in the back.

It's only when you want to start modifying the 75 has a very distinct advantage, RWD. The 155 V6 can lose all the weight it wants but the gearbox is at the wrong end, and the driving wheels are also wrong.
Dr. Alban