Anything that does not fit into other topics.
MD
Verde
Verde

It's not an Alfa or is it?

Post by MD »

The 944 Porche series has always interested me and it predecessors having the mechanical configurations "similar" to that of the Alfa transaxles. Can't say I really know too much about these cars and just how driver responsive they might be compared to Alfas. I have never driven one. Do they evoke the same quirky passion when you get behind the wheel when the revs start to climb? When the red mist comes down, are they as good? Are they better? Why are they considered a lemon in the Porche fraternity?

Anyone with first hand experience with these machines out there?
Attachments
porche.jpg
porche.jpg (57.71 KiB) Viewed 3726 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Micke
Verde
Verde

Re: It's not an Alfa or is it?

Post by Micke »

After having 2 I can say they are nice.
Not the same Alfa feeling. Already the fact that everyhting is working is odd. Quality is from a different planet.
As cruisers very nice, quiet cars.
Notice about models:
2.5 NA - quite boring engine. These versions are cheap and not very attractive
2.5 16V (S) - first 4 valve head and a really nice punch at 4krpm. Same looks and shitty brakes as the previous ones
3.0 16V (S2) - more sophisticated engine. Good power and torque. Same looks as the turbo. Decent brakes and better suspension then the previous.
Turbo (951) - First ones have the same brakes as the 3.0. These can be tuned for huge power. LSD and coil over options. Cost more than the other ones but for a reason.
Also consider 968 which is basically the same car. Same 3.0 16V engine as S2 but with variable cam timing. 6 speed box. CS version lightened from factory and really nice.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

It seems the Porsche owners crowd is more of a 911 focused group. Modification is frowned on. "How fast does it go round the track?" is way less important than "how original is it?".

That seems the majority.

Then there is the decidedly smaller group that likes to accually go fast. Still 911 focused, but much more willing to look at other models in the line.

All the 'entry level ' cars by Porsche have a 'lower status' on the enthusiast scale. There is no question that the 911 is the premeir car and everything else is a 'lesser evil'. Never mind that the 914 with the same engine as the 911 would out run the premeir car at a race... its why porsche never put the best engine in anything other than the 911.

Tha above applies to what I know about USA Porsche people.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

So Micke litre for litre, if both the Alfa transaxle and the Porche had the same engine capacity with eqivalent brakes which car would you honestly say is the better car to own?

Is the Porche THAT much better built or is it or just marginally so?

I am intrigued. I you had such a car, why did you switch to Alfa Romeo? Was it lower cost or better performance? (or perhaps better perfomance at lower cost ? :) )

Personally, I find the body style acceptable. Not as punchy as the GTV but in a more subtle way quite OK. In Oz, the bodies dont decay like they do on salt laden roads so the ones that are maintained are in pretty good nick..

Ziggy.Thanks for your insights..
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Mad Dog, are you thinking of becoming a Swivel Badge? :P :P :P
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Dukone..you could interpret that for sure but it isn't the case. Just trying to stimullate some mechanical debate and enlightenment on a site that is all just about talked out on mechanical issues from what I see by discussing a car that has many overlaps with our transaxles. I thought it might generate a more enthusiastic involvement but in the main it appears to be a fisser...

..hey just got an idea. Let's talk exhaust notes, wheels and kilowatts of hi-fi..that ought to do it.
Sorry guys but I am just over all that juevenille stuff.