Anything that does not fit into other topics.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: Road Trip

Post by MR2 Zig »

Just curious, because I have no clue on distances and travel times in europe, how long did you drive each day and how many miles/kms did you travel? The roads you used....mostly 2lane (one lane each direction) or bigger 4lane etc?

Looks like it was a really enjoyable trip :D
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Hi MR2!
Most days we tried to drive only 3-4 hours because of the little ones although the last day took a bit longer, mainly because the rear brakes stuck on so hard at the last petrol stop before home!
Day 1: Viana to Viveiro was about 4.5 hours driving, mainly autopista (freeway?) but the last bit from A Coruña to Viveiro was 2 lane, a lovely new road, twisting through the mountains. Total mileage: 338km or 210 miles
Day 2: Viveiro to Candas-Perlora near Gijon was only 2.5 hours on the North coast highway which was almost all 2 lane except when we got near to Gijon. It was about 190km or 118 miles.
Day3: Candas to Santillana del Mar was about 2 hours useful driving although we got a bit lost going into Gijon to visit the aquarium. Again a mixture of autovia and 2 lane roads with lovely mountain and coastal views only 166km or 103 miles.
Day4: Santillana del Mar to Saubusse les Thermes was around 4 hours although we also detoured into Bilbao for lunch, this drive was mostly motorway with only the last bit on little roads through a forest. 311km or 193 miles.
Day 5 Saubusse to Bagneres de Bigorre was only 2.5 hours of mostly autoroute with 2 lane for the last few km up into the mountains. 166km or 103 miles
Day 6 Bagneres de Bigorre to Carcassonne was about 2.5 hours of autoroute, 239 km or 148 miles
Day 7 Carcassonne to Nice should have been about 5 hours but took longer. All autoroute with lots of traffic and well over 90ºF with no air con a distance of 494km or 306 miles!

So Total driving time 23 hours for 1904km or 1183 miles!
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Thanks SimonB
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Stop Press:

I am putting the car back on the road after Christmas. Any advice about what needs doing before I start driving?
I know that I need to sort the brakes and have a look at the steering, although it stopped being so stiff when it cooled down.
What other things do you think need doing on a car which has been standing for 3 years, just being started up and moved around every other month or so?
Any advice is welcome, thanks!

05 Corolla daily driver
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

timing belt and all fluids since they all age/deteriorate... :(

also check the tyres for flat spots from standing. And the fuel filter for rust or gum.
Drive it like you stole it...
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Thank you! :D

05 Corolla daily driver