Anything that does not fit into other topics.
arguti
Silver
Silver

South African GTV6 3 litre - history and Registry

Post by arguti »

I started a thread over on http://www.alfabb.com as I now own one of the genuine South African 3 litre GTV6s produced in order to homologate the car for racing at the time.

Apart from having seen these when new as I lived in South Africa at the time, it appears that there is very little information recorded in the public domain about the history, development and a current registry of these cars which form an important niche in Alfa's history as they featured the first modern production 3 litre Alfa engine. I am interested in setting up a website/registry and possibly writing an article for our local AROC magazine before some of the people involved in the project forget/pass on to the great garage in the sky. It seems that there are different opinions about who exactly was responsible for the development of these cars and I suspect some of you may have been involved/know people who were involved.

All information would be appreciated and if requested ,will remain in confidence.

please email me on info@capemed.com if you have anything thoughts/suggestions or information.

the thread can be seen on http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta ... istry.html and has already thrown up some interesting information but sadly no one directly connected with the development of these cars has appeared yet!!!!
many thanks

"Arguti"
Stephen
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: South African GTV6 3 litre - history and Registry

Post by kevin »

Sorry for ''brief'' email, as i am out office but I have full history, developement,all printed articles, roadtest and a two hour debu race dvd at kyalami. I am also in contact with the creators of the cars and the son of the late MD(Dr Vito Bianco) of Alfa Romeo South Africa . I did all the scans of articles but could not upload. You can have all info '' if '' you can put all my scans on this site in the correct place.(only five articles). I have some excellent pics of Roberto Giordenelli in my car on track but you would have to ask Andrew Brown(track&race) for permission to use.
I do have a registry and one of the last remaining concours 3.0l left in world.

Cheers
Kevin
Vice-Chairman Alfa Romeo Club of South Africa.
(back next week- racing this weekend)
Last edited by kevin on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
arguti
Silver
Silver

Post by arguti »

Dear Kevin

thank you for your reply.

I will email you to get the ball rolling.

PS I will also post pictures my car once it's "refresh" is complete next month - currently at www.alexjupemotorsport.co.uk whose car is pretty near concours and certainly unwelded and unmolested.

speak to you soon.

regards
Stephen
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Model: Alfa Romeo GTV 6 3.0l
Series: 116
Year: 1985
Owner: Kevin R.

Alfa Romeo GTV 6 3.0l
Production 1983 – 1985
Predecessor GTV 6 2.5l
Successor Alfa Romeo GTV 6 3.0l 24V
Body style(s)
Sprint (coupe)

Layout
FR layout

Engine(s) 3.0l V6
Transmission(s)
5-speed manual
Curb weight
1138kg
Displacement 2934cc
Power 128kw @ 5800rpm (145kw on later models)
Top Speed 224kmh
History
Development
The Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0l. Created out of the intensely competitive motor racing in the 1980s between Alfa Romeo and BMW. This project was spurred on by an enthusiastic MD of Alfa Romeo South Africa (Dr Vito Bianco) and a racing expert in charge of Alfa Romeo’s racing department (Sampie Bosman). At this time the BMW 535i was launched and had a litre more engine capacity and 42Kw more than the GTV6 2.5, which made life very difficult for Alfa Romeo.
On a visit to Alfa Romeo in Italy, in 1983, Roger McCleerey – who was Alfa Romeo South Africa Marketing Director at the time – discovered, by chance, a GTV6 in full rally trim hidden away in one of the development rooms in the factory. On enquiring about it, he learned that it had a 3.0l motor developed by Autodelta. Immediately he was on the phone to Dr Bianco working out a strategy for Sampi Bosman to build a GTV 6 using this motor to race in South Africa.
The Engine
Autodelta plans to increase the 2.5 GTV6 to 3.0 litres were shelved, due to the fact that it would have placed the car into a higher tax bracket in Italy and the rest of Europe. At the same time Alfa was dominating the ETCC, winning the manufactures titles from 82 to 85 in GTV6 2.5L , so a three litre engine was not a priority, not even for racing purposes in the old continent.
That of course was not the case in South Africa, so the local company Alfa Romeo South Africa (ARSA), made an agreement with Autodelta who manufactured the crankshafts, pistons, sleeves and the cylinder head castings. These were essentially the parts needed for the capacity increase. Bigger valves were also made in Italy to ARSA specifications. Everything else was made in South Africa, including the machining of the blocks and cylinder heads and most importantly, the development and tuning of the engine. The new crank had a stroke of 72 mm, against the 68.3 of the smaller engine. The bore was increased from 88 to 93 mm. Maximum power went up initially from 116 Kws to 128, and torque from 213 to 222 Nm.Further development saw 145 Kws being recorded in later models. Allied to the power increase, was a mass reduction from 1210 to 1138 Kgs over the 2,5 litre model. It was clear that low and medium range torque was more important for crisp acceleration than top end power, one of the reasons that easy to tune down draught Dellortos carburetors fished out of the Alfa 6 Sedan ,were opted for, rather than fuel injection as used in the 2.5 GTV. Also it was solving issues with the carbureted engines on the automatic Alfa 119 sedans . As the engines destined for the sedans were now allocated to the GTV hence the engine number on the GTV 3.0 starts with 019 and not 016 .
Gear Ratios
The five-speed rear-mounted overdrive transaxle retains standard ratios, including the 4,1 to 1 final drive, but the car is dropped closer to the tarmac – and given enhanced traction and stability – by fitting fat 205/50 VR 15 Pirelli P7s on Compomotive sectional alloy rims. This lowers the overall gearing to 33,7 km/h per 1000 r/min in top, compared to 35,6 km/h/1000 in the standard GTV6, and this, in conjunction with the much higher power-to-mass factor (up from 97,2 W/kg to 112,5 due to a power increase of 8,5 per cent and a six per cent drop in mass) accounts for the dramatic gain in sprinting capability. It is understood that the 10/43 ratio as also homologated for the GTV 3.0 and there were a number of cars with this gearbox .
Exterior
Apart from its lower, road-hugging stance, the three-litre car’s main distinguishing feature is a superbly crafted GRP bonnet which incorporates an aggressive power bulge required to accommodate the revised induction system. This was also locally designed and made, along with a deeper front spoiler which lowers radiator temperature by 5 degrees C and makes the car marginally faster at the top end.
Homologation and Debut
Alfa announced it's intentions in June 83 and then got busy building two hundred units, the required number for homologation that incorporated certain development restrictions and tests. This was essential for Alfa to be able to race it in accordance with the Group One rules of the day. Once this was achieved and a FIA representative, that was brought to South Africa gave the thumbs up, it was time for Alfa Romeo to go prove a point.
The new car made its competition debut in typical Alfa style, by winning the Lodge Group One International Two Hour race at Kyalami, completely annihilating the opposition in the process. Then came first and second in the Group One class, of the Three Hour race at Killarney, in Cape Town. The year ended with a Index of Performance and a class victory at the World Endurance Championship 1000 Km race at Kyalami.
Conclusion
The official figures provided by Alfa Romeo were that 212 cars were produced between 1983 and 1985. But there is some doubt as to whether this figure is accurate. It is not certain how many of these racing thoroughbreds are still around today (2008) but this rare, limited edition model will always be a reminder of Alfa Romeo’s iconic racing years in South Africa.
. Dawie De Villiers confirms their were 208 units made as was a dealer for Alfa Romeo at the time and worked on this project hands on .
Sources: Toy de Carvalho, Car Magazine, Roger McCleerey, Kevin R .
Pic Andrew Brown
Attachments
IMG_9346.jpg
IMG_9346.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 11913 times
Last edited by kevin on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
drivers71
Silver
Silver

Post by drivers71 »

Here's my recently purchased GTV6. It should be with me in the UK before the end of July.
Attachments
Sitting on the dockside at Cape Town, waiting for the boat (ship?) to the UK.
Sitting on the dockside at Cape Town, waiting for the boat (ship?) to the UK.
IMG_3968B.JPG (219.37 KiB) Viewed 11476 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Wow thats in good shape. That is the origional colour of the front spoiler.
Its a FS registration which is Orange Free State (former name ) . Climate is dry with no moisture (high alt and inland)so body should be in great shape.
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

That's a great find. Good to see it being in very original condition. How did you managed to locate such a nice car from the UK? Congratulations :D
Melvivio
Gold
Gold

Post by Melvivio »

Is that black front spoiler the original colour! My god! mine is worn!

Superb looking thing!
Black '80 3.0 24v GTV6. Flawed maybe, But absolutely glorious!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Melv , that front spoiler is totally different to yours. Its fiberglass and only comes on the the GTV 3.0. Much deeper. Read article above on its developement - pretty interesting. Hey Julian your speeding fine is in the post :)
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Kevin- I'm so sorry! Did I seriously get a fine? I'll wire u the cash!! Pm me!!
Fixing it bit by bit....
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

nah , just kidding, but I think we should duct tape the plates next time.