Anything that does not fit into other topics.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Woohoo- and - Boohoo!

Post by SydneyJules »

Boohoo 1st- Solicitor thinks it may prove to be a fruitless pursuit to chase $$ for alfa repairs due damage re previous posts. Investigating his recommendations now.

Found young panel beater- he likes older cars and was impressed by the GTV after I took him for a short blat- he didn't believe it was a 2.5!!

Interior is out, fuel tank and battery box not far off, heat gun or dry ice work to start shortly.

Recommendations taken on board- I haven't done this before and a lot of you have!

Planning on prepping the floor with the following:

www.lizardskin.com (Thanks Il Strego Ben) and dependant on state, POR-15. Floor looks really good. Few spots on Pax sill side that look rough and will prob need to be cut out and patched by panel beater.
Found whole rear section of car for very good price and buying this week.

However- Wooohooo!!! Because I got a new job with V Australia (Virgin Blue ((Oz))) International airline) on 777s as a cruise relief first officer (read: Second officer), the car will have to wait for my endorsement and checking to be complete before I get stuck in.... I will be in LA regularly, so hope to meet some alfisti for beer and breeze shooting.

I will accumulate everything I need before starting all on it- including cage and body bits like the left rear light lense, and locally made F glass bumpers and hatch, although I will use a steel hatch for panel alignment purposes with panel work.

Pics when I get into it.

Process will be- strip completely, including all windows, finish panel work at rear and fix window sills and prep car for full paintjob. Possibly two tone- gunmetal lower and red top.

Will run side exit exhaust with a good muffler to keep it reasonable, and undertake a few suspension mods- it will need a thorough check, so anything will be replaced with a track focused item.

Piece it back together with two seats and half carpet but no sound deadening and get ready for registration,.

It is going to be a track biased car and I know everyone says it is stupid, but I have another car for the road- I don't have room for a trailer so it will have to get itself to the track!

I also want to be able to do road rallies if I choose to- so rego must be legal.
Fixing it bit by bit....
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Re: Woohoo- and - Boohoo!

Post by fedezyl »

Congrats Julesss on both the Job and the panel beater! so you get to tinker a little bit with the 777? that and the 747 are my dream planes to fly! :D
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

I do Fed! The EICAS and ECL look amazing- all Honeywell stuff- I have a friend who is an SO on the 74-4 so I will be interested to compare performance between the two- I must say, had I gotten into Qantas, I would have been prayed to get on the 74-4 - I do know one guy who got A380 - he was so upset!

And the car- I 'm also looking forward to getting stuck in!
Fixing it bit by bit....
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

SydneyJules wrote:I do Fed! The EICAS and ECL look amazing- all Honeywell stuff- I have a friend who is an SO on the 74-4 so I will be interested to compare performance between the two- I must say, had I gotten into Qantas, I would have been prayed to get on the 74-4 - I do know one guy who got A380 - he was so upset!

And the car- I 'm also looking forward to getting stuck in!

As far as speed goes you can't beat the 747, I think the A380 is equally as fast or faster, engines on the 777 is the best, plus ergonomics and automatation of the systems, do you guys have electronic flight bags?
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

And you can't beat 4 engines for direct routing- better than ETOPs/EDTO- but I'm still stoked to be on the 777 :D

I'm not sure about the EFBs- I'll know from Monday, I guess! I checked out an RNZAF 757's setup with EFBs and was amazed at how well it all seemed to work. I know that CASA (OZ's regulatory body) can be a little interesting as regards some of that technology- so it wouldn't surprise me if V didn't have them.

You're on the 767 aren't you Fed? I recall Greg saying he was about to stop flying - Greg?
Fixing it bit by bit....
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

SydneyJules wrote:And you can't beat 4 engines for direct routing- better than ETOPs/EDTO- but I'm still stoked to be on the 777 :D

I'm not sure about the EFBs- I'll know from Monday, I guess! I checked out an RNZAF 757's setup with EFBs and was amazed at how well it all seemed to work. I know that CASA (OZ's regulatory body) can be a little interesting as regards some of that technology- so it wouldn't surprise me if V didn't have them.

You're on the 767 aren't you Fed? I recall Greg saying he was about to stop flying - Greg?

Well, was going to go on the 767, did all the training but they ended up cancelling the route to Madrid so off the 767 went...and I got stuck on a CRJ 900... :? Hopefully i'll be upgrading to Captain soon as they plan on bringing 4 more CRJ's....interesting turn the company has made, but it's making money so I guess it's for good...I just miss I couldn't get to fly the 76....
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey doesn't the 777 give better mpg? My uncle's a senior captain with MAS (old hand with the 744), I think he did say that the 777 gives better mpg could have misheard him. He flies the 777 from KUL-SYD sometimes to europe too. He was an Alfa fan...now a Honda man. Acutally me too since I have a CL9 Accord Type S :D .

But the 75 is the still the favorite though, damn thing drives so nicely. You'd think if you had newish big bore iVTEC and all that (everything works, no european car maladies) you'd forget such an old car. Not a chance m8. The 116 still has the magic!!! One day when I get the V8 M3, I'd have to do a 3.5L in the 75 to keep up with the times.

Hey Jules, if you do get to LA, come up to SF, only $50/way I think. You can fly into SJC and check out the scene here.

Congrats m8!
Dr. Alban
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

I think it is the most efficient yes, I think about 30% more fuel burn than a 767 with almost double capacity (weight wise)

not bad 8)
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Yeah the 75's are still a nice car to drive. Recently got a new E90 M3 4.0 v8 and that should have been the car alfa should have built. Great engine and loads of fun. Haven't really run in the engine yet but 8400 rpm is where the redline is. Was a toss up between the C63 and M3 but got a better deal with the M3. In saying all that, still an alfa fanatic :P
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Wah Brian that m3 sure syiok one!

P/S you're lucky you didn't get an RS4. All those direct injected engines are just clogging up with carbon deposits!
Dr. Alban
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Is your 164 for sale? 8)
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Not for now. How much can I get for it? Not much right? May as well keep it. It costs almost nothing in maintenance except things like brakes/oil. Starts up first time, cold A/C, no overheat, strong engine, excellent gearbox, what else can you ask for? Engine has 210 psi compression, too good to just dispose off for not much money. Are you interested in it though?

I rotate between the TSX (CL9), 75 and 164S to avoid piling up the miles on any of those cars.
Dr. Alban