Anything that does not fit into other topics.
xrad
Verde
Verde

Re: WOW..neat conversion

Post by xrad »

Seriously.....why buy and Alfa :shock: I am so sad at hearing all this :( :(
:cry:

I thought the whole purpose of an Alfa was to be just balancing on the verge of functionality and disfuntionality. You can't enjoy the heart wrenching of a grinding shift with a chevy or porsche transaxle. You can;t experience the joy of another worn synchro with these 'other' manufacturers..

Just think of the pain your poor little alfa will suffer after you Frankenstien it all up.

What is this world coming to!!!????!?!?!?!

Anyway, I am just using stock 3.0 engine with a few tweaks...no major power mods so stock transaxle should be fine. And if it should die, I have 3 spares.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Ah we have had all these debates before. All the pros and cons of an orphan. If you want to do some engineering experimentation just for the hell of it, I see nothing wrong with it as it is a great learning experience. Hot rodders do the all the time.

If I was going to repackage a GTV I would use a Toyota small block 4 litre,torque tube and somehow fit the Corvette tranny and be prepared to do ALL the chassis rip tear and bust stuff, suspension, brakes ,blah blah.

Am I going to do it? Shit no. I would age 20 years overnight and look like JK. :mrgreen:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Mats wrote:omg...

That is just sooo wrong. :x
I have a late incarnation of that engine in my daily driver and the engine is the worst part of the car, incredibly depressing driving experience. Horesepower isn't everything and that engine is the best proof I know of I'm sad to say.

On the plus side all tooling and IP are sold to China, so soon you will be able to buy really cheap parts that look exactly like the Saab parts but will break during transport. ;)
This is the older type B204, that's almost indestructable... :wink: B207 has too many GM influences in it and dies often. :(

This is exactly why i didn't open a project topic on this forum.. I know i would get flamed for it :( . The fact is i wanted a car with a good chassis, for fooling around in and to be a testbed for my frontmount gearbox conversion and suspension ideas. Demands for the car where that it would be fairly cheap, tax-excempt(25+ years old) and a transaxle. Getting an Alfa engine over 350 bhp would take more money then the entire budget for the car so there was a problem there... The Saab engine fixes this problem for me. The car is all about good performance and power and originality is the least of my worries. And the people that'll see me drive it won't see what kind of engine is in there. :wink: It's not my favourit build but since i'm on a budget this is the best it's gonna get engine wise. I hope you guys can just appreciate the technical challenge and look over the fact it's not an Alfa engine. :wink:

All the things learned from this car will go into my Giulietta widebody, which will receive a 2.8 24v supercharged engine with a Sei gearbox and reardiff. :wink: That'll be an All-Alfa car for you purists! :twisted:
Drive it like you stole it...
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

All in good fun Giuliettaevo2! If you come up with a cool solution, I would be jealous and proud of you at the same time, but never tell you on this board (or I will get ripped too!)

Cheers :D :D
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I support it for the engineering skill development and the value the experiments produce. This is work for its own sake and nobody is encouraging others to convert their cars on mass. People do this sort of thing with other makes all the time. There is no big deal. They even have specific racing categories for super modifieds.

An Alfa it's not. A good project it is.Good on you.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I'm against your choise of engine, what you do with your car is up to you.

That engine is terrible though and the GM influence didn't change any of the fundamental design flaws just added some problems. :?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Sorry Mats but i really don't understand the problem with these engines.. :? Could you PM me about it? don't want to pollute the topic too much.. :wink:

someone i know is running 400+ bhp on a standard engine with 230.000 km on it, just ancillaries where changed. :? Everyone who knows these engines say they are very tough.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

I'm interested on knowing what's wrong with them too, just to know really, I think there are about 2 saabs over here, but I used to own a 900 turbo when I lived in the U.S. :D
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Hey , I don;t mind polluting the post, since I started it. B204 (SAAB or Volvo??)

Personally, the best 2.0l engine I every worked on was the mitsu 4G63. simple, powerful, and easy to get parts for/maintain (turbo or NA versions)
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

xrad wrote:Hey , I don;t mind polluting the post, since I started it. B204 (SAAB or Volvo??)

Personally, the best 2.0l engine I every worked on was the mitsu 4G63. simple, powerful, and easy to get parts for/maintain (turbo or NA versions)
And if you get the Evo I-III engine the exhaust ports are pointing in the right direction (if you have a LHD car), yes I have thought about that engine. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

B204 2.0 16v turbo from a 1995 Saab 9000.150bhp original. :wink:
Can take up to 450-500 bhp on standard engine internals. :D

A frien of mine als has a nice engine for his car, audi S4 engine 2.2 20v 5 cilinder turbo. Those engines sound awesome! 8) Will be used in an Opel c-Kadett Caravan from 1978( rwd, +/- 950-1000kg car). he is planning around 500 bhp for it. :shock:
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Is the main problem only the liners not being stable due to the fact that they are removable and open deck at the top? Epoxy? The rods can be fixed without too much expense. What about the crank? Too wobbly? Why? By design and construction? main bearing caps not sturdy enough?

What about an S2000 engine? Revs high, love it. Best engine manufacturer in the world :)

OK I do have a 2006 CL9 Euro Accord Type S :)
Dr. Alban
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Zamani wrote:Is the main problem only the liners not being stable due to the fact that they are removable and open deck at the top? Epoxy? The rods can be fixed without too much expense. What about the crank? Too wobbly? Why? By design and construction? main bearing caps not sturdy enough?

What about an S2000 engine? Revs high, love it. Best engine manufacturer in the world :)

OK I do have a 2006 CL9 Euro Accord Type S :)
Is this about the Saab engine? :? I don't think so because the Saab engine is cast iron with a closed deck and without removable liners... Rods are good for about 500 bhp, pistons up to about 700, crank over 1000. :twisted:

So which engine are you referring to Zamani? :wall:
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

The nord.
Dr. Alban
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

well, honda used to be the best engine manufacturer...in the 1990's..... :shock: