Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Bazookajoe
Silver
Silver

Opinions on the 3.0 for a GTV6

Post by Bazookajoe »

Hey gang,

I've been offered a 3.0 liter engine for my GTV6 and was wondering was folks thought about the conversion. I'm torn between being a purist and keeping the car stock (as it is now) and an enthusiast who wants some more power.
Thoughts???

Thanks in advance.

Joe
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Go for it! Its the same basic engine and AR did it in SA. They should have done it in the rest of the world too! I will probably do this when my 2.5 goes bang. If you find it too torquey, you can always bang some hot cams on it!
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
MD
Verde
Verde

other

Post by MD »

Bazookajoe

For my money, the 3 litre engine transforms the car into a much more sporty machine without essentially changing the essence of the vehicle. You can always hang onto to your original engine for future reference if you think you may want to return to original for what ever reason that may be.

With the extra power from the motor, no doubt you will eventually want to upgrade the transaxle specifications also, brakes, tyres ............so it is a good idea to think about what it is that you REALLY want to achieve from you car and then do it as a package.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
joey
Gold
Gold

Re: other

Post by joey »

MD wrote:Bazookajoe
so it is a good idea to think about what it is that you REALLY want to achieve from you car and then do it as a package.
thats good advice IMO

mate, if you want more power and especially torque, the 3.0 is the only way to go, thats for sure.

I guess i'll be the devil's advocate here and extoll the virtues of the smaller original mill (as i always have). IMO what i want from the gtv6 is a car that sounds GREAT and where the costs wont spiral out of control. More for cruising than bruising basically.

Hence, i'm staunchly for the original unit, if only so it doesn't end up with headers to match the engine, cams to improve on the "lazy" 3.0 specs and let it rev, big brakes to stop it, wheels to fit them, etc .. its all $$ better spent on restoration IMHO.