Anything that does not fit into other topics.
MD
Verde
Verde

How big is OZ really?

Post by MD »

If you have been rolling around at nights pondering about this question then roll no more 'cause here is your answer:-

http://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/min ... alian-maps

If you are driving to see a neighbour, it could take a week...well, you know what I mean. :shock:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: How big is OZ really?

Post by Mats »

Well, to be perfectly honest it was smaller than I though... :wall:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

It's not all about the size mate. :x
:lol:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Haahaaa. :D

Guys, guys, you have misread the topic title !!

We're not talking about the size of the Greaser's member here.
BTW. I told him those suction pumps don't work but he lives in hope.

Ahhh. Sharing and caring is what this site is all about. The penny has finally dropped.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Yep definitely in the audience..but here's the image you have been looking for and I live in the spot that says Brisbane.
Attachments
The Land of Oz.jpg
The Land of Oz.jpg (82.04 KiB) Viewed 10008 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Wouldn't mind looking at a population density chart . I'm sure it would closely resemble rain fall chart . So if you had a choice and money was no issue ( yeah right ) where would you choose to live in Oz ?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Kevin. OOh an actual sensible question. Deserves a sensible answer.
The answer could come from many perspectives, available work, relative cost of living, cost of housing, climate, social life and so on. All these questions and answer are also relative to one's age and needs of that age. So all I can do is give you a rounded answer which is essentially a compromise set of choices that suits my life style.
Sydney is probably most well known and is a fast paced international city trending toward a US style of demeanor. Melbourne is of a similar population and is equally populated by immigrants of the world.The layout of both cities is completely different as is the climate which to some extent influences the way the two cities operate. These are the two largest principalities in Australia with around 2M population each. They have been in competition for status of top dog since the dawn of time. A strictly personal view because I originally come from Melbourne so keep my bias in mind, I prefer Melbourne to Sydney however I do not live there for one reason only, I hate the climate.
Three other capital cities in three different states have very different personalities. Perth in Western Australia I know very little about.It is too far from the Eastern Seaboard where the majority of the Oz activity happens. That leaves Adelaide in South Australia and Brisbane in the state of Queensland.
Adelaide is a charming place with a lot of British influence that is still very evident today. It has a nice balance of social pace and cost of living. The climate is not as variable as Melbourne. Cost of housing is more acceptable than Sydney and Melbourne. Been there a number times and I do like the place a lot.
That just leaves a quick review of Brisbane, my present home town. Well, the place is sub tropical and the climate allows a great freedom of outdoor activity all year round.There is as much indoor social life as you can handle as well as outdoor recreation of any description you care to name be it water or land based. Cost of living is cheaper than most places and so is the housing. Available work is about on par to other capital cities.It does get humid in the summer but then the winters are to die for as most southerners come up to Queensland to suck up our sunshine during the winter months.We have a lot of sunshine here and solar panels are a great investment to curb power costs. I have a 5KW system and the power company pays me instead of the other way around.
This is just my perspective on the place. You ask 10 different people the same question and you will be hard pressed to get a consistent answer.
Cheers, Big Ears.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hmmm, strangely similar views to my last four visits to Oz . Ideally ( if I won the lotto ) I would like to stay just north of Sydney so close enough to Kingsford Smith and not in city . Have the holiday home in Byron Bay and visit Melbourne for the Oz open . If I did not win the lotto I would find a " small farm" North of Sydney .
Such a big country so you're pretty isolated which ever city you choose .
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Not a bad strategy Kevin but nothing beats experience. Ideally, spending a complete change of seasons in each state would give you a much better handle on what dove tails with your own values and preferences.
I have lived in a variety of places stretching from Adelaide to Cairns in north Queensland. Considering all facets, I have elected to live in Brisbane as the best compromise.

As for the "small farm" north of Sydney, please ensure your stocks in the Bank of England are doing well first... :D
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

What area is good in Brisbane?

I have a cousin in Melbourne. Phillip Island is there, cool track. But prices are a bit high.

I'm thinking where to move when I retire. I live about 1.5 miles from the new Apple HQ and the area here is super congested now. Used to be awesome. Weather here is probably closer to Brisbane, just a bit cooler in the winters.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to sell and move out in a few years.

Either some small village in the UK or Oz I think. But the UK is too wet and ain't cheap.

Hell maybe Greece then!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Given your motorsport interests. anywhere in the Brisbane north side should do the trick. Property prices (like anywhere) will range from the peasantry to the gentry. All depends how deep your pockets are but at least you have the choices.
The draw card for you is Lakeside Park Raceway which is located on the north side and you would have easy access to it. Lots of coastal areas you could settle in north of Brisbane and prices are reasonable.
As for Greece, half of them have already moved to Melbourne..except the Greekster. He has set his sails on the winds of change and is hoping it will all blow over. You will have to get his words of wisdom on the Greece score.
Philip Island-best track in Australia.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Go to Australia, its still a civilized country. If I was younger, I'd move back to Canada. Greaseland is being overloaded with migrants/refugees and this totally inept commie gov't can't/won't do anything about it. On top of that, the economy is all but destroyed with over 1.5 million jobless, crime is up and we only have one good track in the country! :roll: Sure, there are plenty nice places to retire to, as long as you leave your money OUT of Greaceland. Save the aggravation and go to Oz!

Jim K.
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Brisbane - pretty awesome place. Love it.
Alfaaa1
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfaaa1 »

Love Melbourne,Great people and very green this time of year.

We have 3 great race tracks, Phillip island , Sandown race course and Winton.
Oh and we also have F1 Albert Park lake. :D