Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Our 1600 Junior restoration

Post by Joemart »

hey Kevin.... I see car is at the PBeater.... how good are they?... send me a PM please... cost etc
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I sent you mail with costs , does that mean you buying another GTV 6 or gonna race a 105 series ? but if you want a body shop that still has skills to repair ,shape panels and restoration of classic cars then this body shop is excellent . Fernando the owner has a s3 105 series spider which he restored to concours some years ago which shows he has a real passion for the old Alfa classics not to mention he has painted quite a number of my gtv6 in the past . Some of the SA guys might remember it was his Spider that was stolen a few years ago and only after a tip off on the location of car a group of Trofeo Racing guys and the local police went to recover it . Out of interest Fernando is currently restoring a 1939 Singer LeMans so his shop caters for some very unique jobs as well .
Some pics of my Junior in primer .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (108.71 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (153.07 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (170.75 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (149.56 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (157.44 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The engine in the car was really good so at this stage my dad and I felt it was unecessary to do a full rebuild and rather put the money into bodywork and mechanical parts that needed replacing or refurbishing . Also to just pull engine out is not a major job if we found issues in the future . However we still wanted a perfect drive to match its appearance so have had the gearbox redone with new synchros and seals , I changed the clutch unit with a brandnew Sachs unit from Classic Alfa which was ofcourse in my handheld luggage when going through OR tambo customs :D Also bought all new hydraulic cylinders for the car z- brake , clutch .
My dad removed the sump and cleaned any sludge which actually was vey minimal . We removed the bearing caps just to do an inspection and all looked actually better than "normal" . You can see light marks on journals but shells are immaculate , even cleaned out oil pump strainer . . We put in new sump and pan gaskets from AK , checked all the bolts threads put it back together .
The heads had been off this motor I assume not to long ago as they are much cleaner than rest of block and hence a clean burning engine . The water pump had zero play and turned perfectly . As I had no receipts of previous work done I assume it was also changed not to far back as it was also cleaner than surrounds - but once were up and running we can check again later . I know its a real sh1t to change once its all in but if it feels perfect then leave it .
Engine and gearbox were loaded into back of car boot and rear seats and transported to Lakeavenue where we would put it together and install once car was painted .
At this steering rack and box is still with AK getting refurbed along with starter motor and alternator .
Some pics of engine in our outside shed 8)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (194.25 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (181.24 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (227.07 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (186.44 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (174.87 KiB) Viewed 8340 times
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Howzit Kevin,

Long time no speak. :(

Your 105 series project with your dad is really looking good. Nice to see another 'Fernando' involved with Alfa's. :lol:

I have been very quiet on any kind of forum for a few years now but have decided to kick my own butt back into action. I won't derail this thread but will update everyone as to the two GTV6's in my life. Have never left the faith brothers...
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hey boet ! Good to see you back . Pity I missed you at Z in February but literally was out for race weekend and two to assemble Junior parts . Z festival Was great day to watch Alfa whip BMW again .
Let me know if you come over to uk and I will show you how easy it is to blow money at Classic Alfa . Speaking of which I made a few more purchases for he junior today .
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Some pics of the underside after all repair work completed . Can't quite see the true red as the are yellow screens alongside the car . Its always a pleasure assembling on a clean underside and keeps you motivated doing suspension assembly as its heavy going .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (249.57 KiB) Viewed 8311 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (203.67 KiB) Viewed 8311 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (225.78 KiB) Viewed 8311 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (154.85 KiB) Viewed 8311 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (171.3 KiB) Viewed 8311 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

What better way to spend a Friday morning - sorting through AK classics powder coated parts and plated nuts and bolts and off course being continuously provide with beers from the "other " Kevin 8)
This all took place just last month in good ol Jo burg in the sweltering 30 degree heat . Apparently beers were flowing fast today there with braai ( barbie) going according to my old man . If you're an Alfa nut or serious punter its a great place to be on a Saturday and I'm sure you will end up walking away with a classic .

Link to AK classics site .
Some pics emptying all the parts all over the showroom floor :wall:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (189.91 KiB) Viewed 8291 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (190.6 KiB) Viewed 8291 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (185.32 KiB) Viewed 8291 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (108.79 KiB) Viewed 8291 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

While suspension assembled the inside was painted after the usual prep .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (150.42 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.43 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.39 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.67 KiB) Viewed 8286 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

While external of car was been painted with a " check " coat to test colour and check lines I assembled the front suspension with the usual lubricants including copper grease which is a must . Carefull not to get it anywhere near wheel bearing grease . My dad took care of the wheel bearings .
The workhorse 156 used to load the diff straight off the table and slide into the boot . Always difficult when you have ruptured disc in back and your dads nearly 80 but that don't slow us down . I was impressed when he loaded the gearbox on his own :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (177.55 KiB) Viewed 8284 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (220.58 KiB) Viewed 8284 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (204.82 KiB) Viewed 8284 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (188.69 KiB) Viewed 8284 times
Last edited by kevin on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

looking really good!!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thanks Joe , its been a lot of fun so far .
Some pics to add of the bodywork that's been rubbed down now that Fernando is happy with the lines . The engine has not been polished or cam cover been chromed but its very clean - an original looking . I'm afraid if its to clean the car wont be used but all the suspension parts will go back plated and powder coated to prevent any corrosion even though you not going to see it .
Pic of newly reconditioned gearbox mating up to the new Sachs clutch .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (217.99 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (181.64 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (216.8 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (200.19 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The original plan was to spray car complete and then assemble all the suspension but due to the ramp going into the spray booth we (Fernando ) have decided to assemble suspension and roll car in . It is light enough to carry it in but then you run risk of bending wheels arches . When car does get painted the underside will get sealed up to prevent any spray dust setting on the powder coated parts .
If AK classics never lent me the spring compressor I think I might still be under the car . Father son teamwork :D and some good lower back excersise .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (179.5 KiB) Viewed 8239 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (194.61 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (168.94 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (221.7 KiB) Viewed 8263 times
Last edited by kevin on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

With the front suspension now complete we started on the rear diff . The old diff oil was drain and diff sump plate removed to remove any sludge etc which in fact was pretty clean . Definitely a two man job trying to put the diff in . I did pic up issues with the extra paint thickness and putting shim plates on the T bar but it was simple enough with enough copper grease applied . Also trying to be carefull not to scratch primer off and create a future rust spot .
Just trying to get cars on wheels at this stage so it can be rolled into booth so when finances are avaliable down the line I will replace discs front and rear . .
I could not remember which side the bracket that fits the straps that holds the rear axle sit but after downloading factory PDF from AK classics it was clear I had it wrong way . Pics here shows on incorrect side then corrected and again to get bolts correct way according factory PDF . Will update of that later .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (227.97 KiB) Viewed 8235 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (118.4 KiB) Viewed 8235 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (209.11 KiB) Viewed 8238 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (192.6 KiB) Viewed 8238 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (150.65 KiB) Viewed 8238 times
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

shewwwww.....u were busy
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The last bunch of pics of car painted then my my dad will put motor and gearbox in . The steering rack is already to go in first . After that the hood lining and glass will go back .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (176.86 KiB) Viewed 8199 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (103.46 KiB) Viewed 8199 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (118.75 KiB) Viewed 8199 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (193.92 KiB) Viewed 8199 times