Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: Random Engine Torque Measuring Ideas............

Post by Jim K »

Off topic-removed
Last edited by Jim K on Sun May 10, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Jim K wrote:Z, there are specific velocity probes so no problem. The question is what combination of velocity/flow you want! If you increase flow with porting it does not necessarily mean you also increase velocity. It may remain unchanged or even drop if you hog out the ports. To arrive at conclusive results you must destroy heads by over-porting. This is a luxury I don't have with 24v heads.
MD's head is already destroyed from lack of use, so not much use to anyone anymore.

Seeing as how you have ready access to a flow bench and 24v heads, how about adding some placticine or modelling clay to those ports and seeing how much material you can add to the ports before it starts to restict flow. :wink:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Removed, off-topic.
Last edited by Jim K on Sun May 10, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

[quote="Jim K

Now this I can do in this coming week. 8)
I took my 'b' head there yesterday without having the seats done but otherwise finished and it registered a hefty 156cfm @11mm lift (10"water) starting from a std head 138cfm, as compared to my old 24v heads on my engine which had 146cfm (mainly cleanup job). After completing the work I expect to see an overall improvement in flow. Meanwhile, the 'a' heads are ready from valve/seat finishing and will be picked up tomorrow. It will be very interesting to compare flow! I will post the graphs when I have all the numbers. We saw 161cfm @ 12mm lift (std valves) but this is of no practical use so my 24v graphs stop at 11mm.
I did locate a set of 2.5liter 24v heads in a used parts shop, but the man wants 350€ (no cams). This is no time for such outlay in the face of bankruptcy, especially if I can't fit them on my 164 engine.
Jim K.[/quote]

Wow 350 euros.. i passed up on two 2.5 litre 24v engines last week at £50.00 and £100.00 complete

I have a few 3.0 litre 24v units and 4/5 sets of heads and hope to have the flowbench set up and running over the summer if work quietens of a bit.. so interested in your figures and trying a polyquad head too. have use of a local engine dyno so hoping to have the engine ready for winter testing.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Removed, off-topic.
Last edited by Jim K on Sun May 10, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

I need to buy a van load and bring them over there... and maybe then i can afford to bring back one of your rebuilt tuned engines lol
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I bought the 164 24v engine for 1000€ and it had a broken rod, piston and several bent valves...The seller gave back 200€ so my final cost was 800€, probably too much but its water under the bridge now. :roll:
Jim K.
PS Let's get out of this thread, screwed it up enough already! :wall:
I've removed some of the above posts. Sorry Duk!
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

But crazy off topic banter is what this forum is about.
That and Alfa.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

JK,

Seriously, we need to see how we can synergise between different forum members in different locations to make this Alfa modification thing better. Like Maxi's parts source is cheap. That's something we can slowly figure out how to make it feasible. Only problem is you're on end of europe and he is on the other!

Maxi,

Don't pass up anymore of those free heads. Those cams alone are worth $$$. Just advertise them as "Special JK V666 Grind, Unleash the Devil Within!"
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

JK,

Let's say that you have all the flow you need for 8000 rpm. Are you going to mitigate losses in the low rpm section by some variable something?