Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Baz,

Why do you wanna leave? Mike Harris spends time to fix up not for people to leave, it's for people to stay and discuss.

Please, nobody leave! This is the least we can do for Mike Harris! Oh besides donating to the coffers of course.

BTW, we can't accept Gyros or Spanakopita as donations from those in Greece :P :D
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

:shock:
Barry,

I hope you are just playing hard to get...
I am sure that you need to play games from time to time what with Jim K's attention span and all.

Seriously Barry, reconsider. Please, for me :wink:

Love
James
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

This site has certainly gone downhill. Not in the quality of people, but in the posting. I remember the old board since 97. Jeff White used to be my neighbor. I read it every day and drove my alfa everyday. Many people probably gave up once the old domain dissapeared. I didn't post that much because all the info was there to read. I wonder if people do not post because there affraid someone will say that "bull" to their response. I also notice sometimes someone will post something and there are no responses. Since there are no responses they probably just to not come back. Thinking they are being ignored. Diffrent forums have diffrent rules of course. I frequent the alfabb but rarely post. I do read alot and do not like it when someone brings up the "newb" thing. Or how long have you been registed? I dont believe this will happen here. But registering today does not mean many of us have not been working on alfa for a long time.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

My .80 A/F Ratio Worth...

Post by junglejustice »

Well, I can't read 7 pages of posts (with references to me - positive OR negative) and NOT say anything... It is strange - things HAVE gone a bit quite - then again, it does seem cyclical; it was quiet '04 year-end too...

Maybe my tiff with Barry a year ago had something to do with it (in fact, I am sure that it did), but more so; the subsequent pissing matches (such as with Jim K., Brian Berger, Mats, Andrew Brown et al) when Barry's die-hard friends jumped to the rescue (and ultimately with Peter Webb over on the BB) did not help matters either...

Funny thing is that Barry and I have made friends and have probably seen each other more in the time since then THAN ANY OTHER TWO MEMEBERS HERE (brothers and a select few others excluded...) Barry and I share resources and help each other out; I have carried things back to SA - he has built me some hubs - we've probably seen one another on 20 occasions over 5 trips in 12 months!!!

The feud however, between me and other active members in Barry's "inner-circle" has not subsided... Why? Even Andrew and I made friends and we have tried to coordinate getting together on more than one occasion. (He has some nice shiny new pistons that I personally carried over for him and ask nothing in return for.) That’s the spirit of it! We don't swap spit in the moonlight or anything, but we'll get there :lol:

Most everybody who has ever participated here actively though have had their share of misunderstandings (perhaps not as many as I have) and then again, just ask Jes, Greg and a few others who slip my mind right now and they will tell you that this is a tough forum. I see many posts (I sign-on and read actively 2-3 times per day) from new-bs that go unanswered or that get answered in a very dismissive way, as in: "...this has been covered - go look somewhere else..."

This is NO fun for someone who has just signed up and who is searching for the answer to a question that MANY here did not even know the answer to until fairly recent.... Just because one of us knows the answer or just because the subject was already covered, does not constitute no further lessons on the subject or no new info can be derived...! It's pretty sad.

What I find particularly sad is that one member (because of his popularity among the secret hand-shake club) can get away with referring to another member’s child as “some rat-faced kid” and yet one mis-step and you get nailed from out of left-field!!! The bias in that is incredible. The constant “challenging” of information makes others timid.

Also, when one DOES make and attempt to take your bitch with another member off-line to private mail or email and the member then shares the content of that private exchange back with other members of the divine ya-ya-sisterhood - NOT nice... It whips others up against you even more and it shows up the VERY next time you post!

Not everybody is willing to put their nuts on the line (right or wrong) and risk getting slapped down. That drives traffic down…

I've said it before (and re-reading this entire thread again today), the point was made here in this thread by at least three others already (aside from yours truly) that nobody wants to come on here, on a public forum like this, where it is supposed to be fun, relaxing, a hobby - no wait; A PASSION to share - only to be shot down by others who either don't get your point, who don't agree with the point, or who just simply dislike you for some peripheral reason and now want to take the opportunity to nail your arse to your own bonnet...!

Also, too many posts by the same "gurus" over and over smother the forum.

There, I've said it. In South Africa we call this “…’n goeie gemoeds-bekakking was nodig…” Doesn’t translate well, but in short – We all need to purge once in a while…) Michael, awesome job bud! (The man lives 3 blocks from my house and we only see each other once in a blue moon!!!) Here’s a shot of Mr. Harris, Ron Simons and I having a braai over at Michaels house…

Barry, this is the second time you have threatened to quit! You, the Easter Bunny and I head over to Jamaica – they also love Alfas there - for a vaca. We can even start our own Alfa club (but no forum – the gtv6.com has it all!!!)
Attachments
Afbeelding 000.jpg
Afbeelding 000.jpg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 9864 times
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

JJ,
I think that you are correct that the forum could be more receptive to new people. I know from my own experience that the forum can be extremely helpful to newby types. I have started more newby threads than anybody in the past 10 months. I have learned a tremendous ammount during that time and I am very thankful to forum members for that.
We should make an effort to handle new posters with kid gloves until they get a feel for the board. I personally intend to try to help as many of the newby types as I can so that perhaps more of them will post regularly.

This board has fueled my Alfa obsession in a big way. That said, I still tiptoe in many of my threads to avoid misunderstandings and so forth. I usually leave all of the joking around to those who actually know each other. This makes my posts more boring, bland, and polite. That is most likely bad for the forum. :idea: Therefore, I intend to start throwing around more low blows at the established vets of the forum...

I want to be as hospitable as possible to forum newbys. Perhaps they do not know as much about the subject matter as some of the forum vets, but they may have stories that are more ammusing than hearing about Mats lusting after M3s all the time and trying to justify that lust :wink:

Whatever, the forum is not exactly peaking right now but it will come around.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey Mike,

Nice house you got there.

Mike Harris stopped over our (Nizam and my house) when he was on his way to Seattle...back in 2000? I first met Mike in 1997 I think, at Willow Springs.

Man that was a long time ago!!! I must be getting old.

Mike, the V6 folks are doing 1:40s at Willow Springs heh heh.

Well I guess with Jes' new 3.7 sledgehammer, he'll probably beat the crap out of all of us.

JJ,

You know I used to stay in Fresno a while back. Do you think you will be able to flydown for a AROSC TT at Buttownwillow or something? It's just a few miles west of Bakersfield, which isn't too far of from Visalia.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Yep - its been a while since I saw you guys - and it was awesome to meet you all on my way up here from So Cal. And yes, we are getting older - I've had my GTV6 over 10 years now :shock:
I do miss Willow, Buttonwillow and Laguna lots ... by the way, there is still a Harris who drives in the AROSC group - actually a couple of them. My brother, Ian, turned a 1:41 in his '87 944 Turbo in the AROSC time trial in October :D and my Uncle (in a crazy 944S engined 924 Turbo) drives somethimes too.
http://www.arosc.org/results/2005/tt_oct05.html
My brother is at most events so please introduce yourself if you see him - he drives a white 944T and also has a funny accent.

Thanks for that photo John - jeez, I look more pissed than I actually was.

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Crap Michael, I appear quite pie-eyed me-self hey? What are you doing today? Let’s go for a pint! (I want to show of the new 24 valve 164 with just 42K miles on it – Just finished the head-rebuild!) It’s sweet! OK-OK; not a TA! Fine! I'll drive the Verde....

Zamani, no, I did not know that you lived in Fresno! Buttonwillow is that close to Bakersfield/Visalia/Fresno, huh? Wow! OK, now I have even more reason to come down more often… My best friend from South Africa since “standard 5 veldskool” (7th grade camp) – 24 years now – lives in Visalia along with other family members around Fresno etc. (I was just there last weekend!)

So, yeah, would love to! I would fly down and come to Bottonwillow just to watch/chat/visit – WHEN? What’s on your mind? Email me; we can set it up!

Also, planning on bringing my 3.7 down in the New Year – just as soon as both Jes’ and my cars are track-worthy… I was only planning Laguna (furthest north for the SoCalers) but I may have to venture East and further South now too...
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Re: My .80 A/F Ratio Worth...

Post by Andrew.b »

junglejustice wrote:(He has some nice shiny new pistons that I personally carried over for him and ask nothing in return for.) That’s the spirit of it!
Hi JJ,

I'm using Honda bike pistons in my race motor - so I don't know where the Ross pistons went, but not to me, or my motor - but thanks for the gesture.

In the full race motor we get lighter weight(a lot), smaller and shorter slipper skirt for less friction, better squish and a dished crown, instead of a raised bump on the ross (better combustion) and really excellent rings that are half the thickness of the standard type - less friction again.

But - the Ross pistons are a great bulletproof all round excellent bit of kit! N/A - Turbo - Supercharged 3.2-3.3-3.45-3.7 just change the height of the piston crown when you machine for particular application! And you get good life durability - the Honda is much more sensitive.

But, I may well be interested in some next year for a new project.............Ross will be perfect for this! How are you getting on with the forged rods??

Oh and after that lot, who says gtv6.org is boring - I love to talk technical on race cars/track cars.......:D

It's was a shame to miss JJ in SA, as I waiting to show me what he's got at Zwartkops raceway, in any car of his choice........maybe thats why he delayed his flight :wink: :wink:

Next time eh :D
Andrew b
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

:shock: What became of the Ross set that Dawie gave you...? :?
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

This board is very intimidating to the uninitiated. It is one of the most technically intense auto boards out there. Many frequent posters may not appreciate this. After 3 years of GTV6 ownership and being an avid Alfagtv6.com reader I still find that I will only ask a question if I have done my homework. Otherwise I risk being ignored or flamed. Perhaps it is not so bad to expect the newby to have read the background tech info on the board and to have searched the archives for an answer before asking. In any case that is the culture of this particular forum. And maybe that is why I keep coming back: the signal to noise ratio is pretty good.

I'll close with a question: what other boards (other than Alfabb.com) are popular with the people here?
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Maldi,

I don't need to tell you the world is a complex place like the personalities on this forum. We all experience unexpected reactions from posts we make from time to time I am sure. I know I do.

I think you have some valid points there and perhaps if you have read some of my posts, you will see that I like to mix my deliveries with a combination of information (or enquiry) with a touch a lunacy just to lighten up where possible. So I occasionally stick it to someone and predictably they stick to me but it is always with a sense of respect and the knowledge that it is for public consumption and an underlying intent to humour the reader.

Technicalities are essential to advance anything but humour is mandatory for survival of the human goofball, agreed?

Regrettably there is no hope for JK, he's gone past the point of no return. :lol: OOPs !
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Nice post MD.

Make no mistake I love AlfaGTV6.com (gtv6.org was one of the reasons I got mine). But since this is a highly technical forum it will never have very high traffic.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

This is the best board out there. I like alfabb also but as others have pointed out, it's more about what type of polish to use then what type of pistons. Heck, on the Alfa bb I just posted the highest dyno results for a L-Jet Verde I have ever seen and yet some meaningless post about whether or not Jesse James is a nice guy gets about six times more views. The average viewer of that board is far more into car culture then cars.

These are the only two boards I post on. I did post on mirafiori.com for a while as well as a Cobalt site but there is so much misinformation on those boards I really couldn't stand it.

A heated argument now and then isn't so bad, especially when it can be proven one way or the other. I try to stay away from personal attacks since that does no good.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I try to stay away from personal attacks since that does no good

Greg Gordon.

Couldn't agree more Greg.

I am hoping that the average punter out there who reads some of the cattle prods I dish out clearly see it as pure and deliberate humour. I suppose the best resolution of conflict between waring parties is to initiate email between themselves and thrash it out away from the public forum, sparing the rest of the visitors the pain. This is not always applicable, I know and understand but I think it should be the first port call for a fix.

So in my specific case, if you have taken some form of offence to what I have said occasionally, feel free to send me your view. My email address is provided in the members list. However if you're not fond of greased carrots, try to be nice at least in the first instance but if you are the furry disposition type, please ring James on (37698) 223768-9761- he's happy to take reverse charges? :shock:

At this point MD has left the building... :lol:
Last edited by MD on Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse