Sunracer
Silver
Silver

Cam timing woes related to driveshaft replacement...help!

Post by Sunracer »

Hi all, well my GTV6 has been progressing nicely thanks to this forum. Today I had decided to drop the driveshaft, since the front guibo was cracked through, and pull the tansmission since I have very few operational syncros left. Everything was going well. I had a friend helping me and we put a big socket and ratchet on the crank to prevent the engine from moving any direction but clockwise while unbolting the shaft. Long story short we ended up with a detensioned timing belt. I had the plugs out of the engine, car in neutral so we could rotate the shaft. Since the belt detensioned, it may have jumped. We tried turning the motor clockewise but it was binding up. Don't know if it is the cam springs or intereference. Here is where I need advice:

My plan is to take off the belt, remove the cam journals and cams so I can reset everything as it should be. My questions are can I just unbolt the cam journals and slip them out after I have removed the belt? I appear to have the aftermarket tensioner, it doesn't match the ' 85 GTV6 factorymanual I have-no arm as referenced in the manual. How do I release and reset this tensioner?? Does pulling the cams and resetting everything sound like the best plan. I figure the valves will be seated, I can turn the crank to tdc and then install the cams. I appreciate more experienced peoples insight. Thanks Pierre
Pierre
1984 GTV
shures
Gold
Gold

Post by shures »

This isn't the final advice you need to proceed. My opinion is that you now need to replace the tensoner and I would do the belt while you are at it. Getting the engine back to zero will be challenging and you will have to withdraw the hubs from the drive sprocket to fully release the cams and seat all the valves. You can then get the engine to the P mark and check that #1 is close to TDC. Finally, you can reassemble everything and be reasonably sure you wont crash a head. I doubt you have crashed one yet, it sounds like you were aware of and sensitive to the binding.

However, if you haven't done this before, now is the time to contact someone who has. While this isn't really complex there is a lot at stake. Especially if you install a thermal tensioner.

You are an Alfa Club member, correct? Time to call on the club tech guru and see if he can hook you up with someone local who has been through the drill before. Feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance too.
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6