powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

164S 3.0l

Post by powderhoundcd »

I came across a 164S today that was being parted out. The engine is not running. The owner told me: "The gasket is out, the water got inside the engine. "

First, I'm assuming that it's the head gasket that he's talking about. From this description, what kind of damage should I expect in this engine? How hard would it be to repair? Could it be as simple as just the blown head gasket and the engine was hydrolocked from the water?

Second, What kind of a price should I be looking at for this? Would it be worth it if I could get it for a couple hundred?

Third, Are there any other considerations that I should take into account?

This will be my first engine rebuild if I go through with it. The plan would be to rebuild the engine and when it's finished, swap it into my '83 GTV6.

I asked the seller for pictures, so I'll post them up when I get them.

Thanks for the help!

Carson
Carson James Darling
83 GTV-6 2.5L (in progress)
Support a poor highschooler's addiction!
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

Well, gut instinct is, if it doesnt even run, the gaskets must be well and truly shot! has it got any compression? Not sure what he means about water got inside the engine??
If the gaskets have gone, then it will just be coolant mixed up with the oil, resulting damage will depend on how long the car was driven with failing gaskets, and whether proper coolant was used or just water, this would affect how corrosive your cappacino mix of oil and coolant is, etc etc.I drove my 83 with leaking gaskets for 10,000 miles, but I had proper de-ionised, neutral PH coolant, and changed the oil every 1000 miles, and never pushed the motor past 2,500rpm, as I didnt have time to pull the gaskets. No damage as a result. If he really does mean that there is actual water in the engine, forget it, as the block will be corroded to shit. You really need to go have a look at it properly, ie the condition of the oil, what type of coolant is int it, ie water or actual coolant? pull the plugs, see if the motor will turn. I would not like to buy it on spec. On spec I wouldnt pay more than 100 buccs tops, its too much of a gamble.

How long has he had the engine? if its been standing with coolant mixed in with the oil for a long period, the water could have separated out, and be corroding engine. Plugs in? stored inside or out?

As far as hydro locking the engine, maybe if it was an 18 cylinder radial engine! :D , in other words highly unlikely.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

expect a total rebuild..bearings to hoses...it's the only safe bet unless its running and you can test everything
powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

Post by powderhoundcd »

Okay. Well it looks like I'll only be taking this engine if I get an amazingly good deal on it. Thanks for the responces!

Carson
Carson James Darling
83 GTV-6 2.5L (in progress)
Support a poor highschooler's addiction!