MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Yet another 3.0l build up

Post by MR2 Zig »

Well, here goes...

I bought a 3.0l from a crashed 87 Verde to go in my 83 GTV6. The compression was low on 2 cylinders (2&3) compared to the rest so I'm going to rebuild it.

The aim is a reasonably powerful street car, reliable (not counting regular service items like water pumps and timing belts), pleasant to drive ( not peaky, not a slouch). I'm not looking for a world beater....just fun in the hills and on the occational track day. I don't want to get beat off the stop by a ford explorer either. I do have to deal with California smog checks. I don't have tons of money to put in it, but I want to get the basics right now so later I can improve things as the budget allows.

I'm looking for some direction and for specific things to do to make the best, solid, bottom end and a good flowing set of heads. Hotter cams, extractors, and aftermarket injection systems will be saved for later. New rod and main bearings and a valve job (full radius) are the start at this point.

I like to think that I'm open to suggestion, but I could be delusional :roll:

Thank you,
Scott
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

You can rebuild it with 'S' components and have a hot car without all the work.....
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I second that. A 3.0 with "S" pistons and cams, along with a good valve job will put out around 200horsepower. The modifications will not be detectable by the smog police.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Thanks guys,

Now to begin the search for parts :D

This is what the wife would call a shopping opprotunity :D

Scott
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Greg,

Would you go for the total seal rings on new cyliders also? (2nd compression only, correct?)

Thanks,
Scott