zar162b4
Silver
Silver

alfa 75 twin spark oil pump

Post by zar162b4 »

Good day,
I am planning to change the oil pump of my car on next oil change and I would appreciate your help and advices for this operation.
I have read the alfa manual, and if I undersood correctly this operation can be done without disassembling the engine. The main steps should be:
- Put the first cylinder piston on TDC
- Removal of the lower distributor
- Removal of the oil sump
- Removal of the 3 nuts that keep the pump in place
To install the new pump, the procedure should be reversed taking care to correctly position the oil pump "notch" that drives the distributor.
Am I saying sensible things? Am I forgetting or underestimating some steps in the procedure? I would appreciate very much your comment/help
Thank you for your attention
Regards
Oscar
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Oscar,

The oil pump can be changed as you suggest and is not a big job. After removing the distributor and oil pump/distributor drive gear take off the lower oil sump cover and remove the three hex bolts holding the pump in place. The only trick on assembly after the oil pump is reinstalled is to drop the oil pump/dristributor drive gear back in so the it lines up as per the timing instructions in the manual. You can lift this gear in and out with a couple of flat blade screwdrivers pressed together in the centre hole and then twist to unmesh/mesh the gear teeth. Check the timing with a timing light to finish the job.

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Oil pumps are NLA as far as I know.
Anybody got a source?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

don't have a source for new..but used pumps can be found on ebay

APE or Denoya trading post usually have something..if not listed, call

why do you want to replace your pump...unless it has been sucking dirt for a while, it usually lasts a looonnng time.

I had poor oil pressure which was miraculously cured with new oil pressure sensor (30$),new bearings, and a thorough internal engine cleaning a few years ago...

20psi at idle...55-70 at higher rpm
zar162b4
Silver
Silver

Post by zar162b4 »

Hi,
first of all thank you for your replies, and I am sorry for my late answer (I did not connect to internet in the last 2 days).
David I really appreciate your suggestions and I will stick to them if it becomes evident that pump must be changed.
Mats, here in Italy it is still possible to find many parts. Sometimes it takes longer but I can say that if you are lucky, know the right people and attend some "mercatino" (which is an italian word which means fair) like the ones in Padova or Imola, you can find almost everything.
X-Rad, you are probably right!!! I did not think of the thing you are mentioning (damaged sensor) until a gentleman from Wales with an alfa 75 suggested (in another forum) to check the sensor.
Exactly like you he could miraculously :wink: fix the problem just changing it.
Right now the oil pressure in my car, as showed by instruments, is still higher than the minimum recommended by the owner manual, but it has slightly dropped if compared to the values I was used too. Since 2001, when I bought the car, I changed the oil and filter every 6000km or less, the oil consumption is low (roughly 1 litre per 6000 km) and the oil keeps a "yellowish" colour for most of its "life" between oil changes. This was the reason why I was a bit preoccupied, since the engine is still in very good shape (it is just a stock engine without mods). I will change the sender and see if readings look more conservative (thanks x-rad!).
If they still remain the same, I will follow David suggestions (thanks!) to change the oil pump.
Thanks again
Regards
Oscar