Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: OILS ??

Post by Jim K »

This is a bit of a problem, as egt must be measured VERY close to the port (usually right after the header flange) and this is only done in serious shops/dyno development. Additionally, the ideal egt of ANY engine is largely UNKNOWN unless determined after comprehensive bench tests of the particular engine. This is why I haven't installed an egt gauge in my 1.8T. What should it read? Ideal egt's are vastly different between engines. Therefore they must be used as an alarm to monitor engine condition when the value shown changes suddenly.
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Getting too involved for someone like me. I think that’s why in OKTechs car he has 6 EGTs at the exhaust flange. That’s beyond club/hobby levels. I have to stick to AFR.

But for knock I might be able to do something. What device do you recommend? Phormula? Or Maybe a seasoned ear?

Found this video, not a bad device TunerNerd Knock Monitor Pro, only $300+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqBQs2bGIA
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I used Knockling G4 to help properly map ignition advance on my 1.8T with very good results. I do have a good ear and knocking is very evident on the turbo, but this gizmo is even more sensitive. It's not a permanent install, just used to verify mapping. It uses the oem 1.8T knock sensor located on one of the intake manifold lower studs. For the 24v, the dyno shop has their own knock sensor gadgets.
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

A seasoned pair of ears…..wait MD has very seasoned ears…he’s heard a lot of things in his life. Wonder what he has to say about this.

Anyway, I’m gonna get me one of them knock detection devices for my next dyno session…hopefully I will have adjustable cam gears by then….
Dr. Alban
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Tuner Nerd is an excellent bit of kit to do timing tuning, Jim, just melted a forged piston on my number 6 on the RB26 motor. Known engine for running lean on number 6.
Afr`s globally were 11.0:1 -2.8 bar boost.(3.8 absolute.)
Changed ecu to Maxxecu and installed 6x temp probes right at the port close to the head. Crept back up to boost and found temps were pretty equal on all cylinders until we got to 1.6 bar boost, gradually number 6 started to increase exhaust temp. I pushed on until 900 deg C (2.2 bar boost) and pulled back.
Afr`s showed 11.0:1 globally. (closed loop feedback under boost activated)
I`d recommend temp sensors with a can out from the ecu displaying preset warnings any day.
As you mentioned, global Afr is a ball park, individual temps (or Afr`s ! :shock: ) can really save the day..

See you all when I turn 73 !! :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey you’re back Baz.

Yeah I’m gonna get the Tuner Nerd stuff.
Dr. Alban