Alfaross69
Silver
Silver

Good things come to those who wait.

Post by Alfaross69 »

Dennis,
Great pics, looks like there is plenty of meat for further porting work. Even larger valves and seats? what's the max? The thinnest section appears at the cam follower (cup) bores where there is an additional cavity opening into the follower bore. What is that cavity? Is it an oil gallery to lube the followers? Good understanding, now, of the central water passage and the exiting access plugs. How was head damaged that led you make a cutaway?

Mats,
Today, I received a CD rom (don't know its origin) for the 155 service manual. It's all pdf. files and I haven't been able to save the pertinent pages and post them. It is being difficult,anyone have any clues?

The CD ROM covers the following models:

1.The 8 Valve Twin Spark
2. The 2.5 litre V6
3. The 16 Valve Twin Spark
The CD ROM also covers the Vehicle Characteristics and Maintenance sections for-
1. The 8 Valve Twin Spark
2. The 2.5 litre V6
3. The 16 Valve Twin Spark
4. The Cloverleaf 4
5. The Turbo Diesel
6. The 2.5 litre Turbo Diesel

It appears that the "timing variator" (V V T ) is done a little differently than on the 75TS. It is mounted on the right front side of the head (when longitudal). I can't verify from my photos since I had to reduce the photo for the website size and when I saved it I lost the original (idiot) and will have to reshoot. The Motronic system controls it based on air demand. I'll post the section later w/ diagram and text.

Now, I wonder how it will affect operation of engine if it is not employed with a carburettor system and the 8 wire distributor.

Yes, the hole in the rear of head is where the thermostat assembly mounts, verified by the manual. Too bad it exits in the wrong direction to use on the 75TS motor as it sends the coolant to the exhaust side. All the 75TS setups I have seen have a whole bunch of small hoses using all the water jacket access plugs as the origin for coolant..although I would think the whole thermostat housing assembly could be machined anew to go the other way (billet?),but you'd have a radiator hose run the whole length of engine on the intake side and might be difficult to route to stock radiator.

Another question I answered for my self is the 155 comes in 3 sizes 1749cc (1.7?), 1773cc (1.8), 1995cc (2.0) (from CD rom)(thanks Maurizio)

Yes, I have been assured by Jim Steck at Auto Componenti this head will fit on the 75TS.
Ross Gallichotte
'73 2000 GTV
'69 1750 GTV
'61 Guilietta Sprint
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Great stuff!

Would it be possible to get a copy of that CD?
An image file or similar maybe? :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Alfaross69
Silver
Silver

155 coolant hoses and thermostat

Post by Alfaross69 »

Mats ,
I wrote:
"Yes, the hole in the rear of head is where the thermostat assembly mounts, verified by the manual. Too bad it exits in the wrong direction to use on the 75TS motor as it sends the coolant to the exhaust side. All the 75TS setups...
Correction 155 setups:
....I have seen have a whole bunch of small hoses using all the water jacket access plugs as the origin for coolant..although I would think the whole thermostat housing assembly could be machined anew to go the other way (billet?), but you'd have a radiator hose run the whole length of engine on the intake side and might be difficult to route to stock radiator. "
In a GTV (105/115)conversion there is not enough room between fire wall and engine to use 155 theremostat thus the reason for all the small hoses and manifolds.
Now I wonder if the 75 TS intake manifold w/carbs will work on the 155 head,although I would like to use FI for the 155 head and not carbs.
Attachments
75TS with carbs
75TS with carbs
P0003757.JPG (155.95 KiB) Viewed 12269 times
Ross Gallichotte
'73 2000 GTV
'69 1750 GTV
'61 Guilietta Sprint
Alfaross69
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfaross69 »

Mats,
Indeed my head does have the 3 small ports for mounting the "timing variator' on the front right side of the head
Attachments
Timing Variator ports (V V T)
Timing Variator ports (V V T)
P0004265.JPG (149.71 KiB) Viewed 12269 times
Ross Gallichotte
'73 2000 GTV
'69 1750 GTV
'61 Guilietta Sprint
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

On the side? Now that is very different to the 75, would love to se an exploded view from a workshop manual on that one. :)

I really like the clean look when there is no dizzy or VVT on the front of the head. Very interesting to hear about the geometric differences in the castings too, I can't really see how the geometry can be that much different.

Looks like you have had some problems with that head? Black in the intake tracts?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Alfaross69
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfaross69 »

Mats,
The exploded view shows it clearly and the photo verifies the condition well.

Look at exterior of head at bottom right, it has left over grease from the steam cleaning. I'm sure it's a very tired head but that's to be expected. I just got it, so no trouble to me at all and it was fairly cheap, I'm tickled pink, lumped in with the 2 engine package from Italy that i shared. I noticed on the cutaway pics of the other head that there was oil crust in the intake passage probably from worn valve guides. this is probably similar situation.I sent you an email about the Shop Manual

Look at left side for curved groove? in upper manifold(new) to link the passages? the bottom manifold(stock) has a lone hole to the passage in the manifold so device must link the other 2 holes thru the device itself. One is the stock manifold the other is Steck's turbo fabricated manifold. I have to consult with him on the elimination or use of the timing variator.
Attachments
155_manifold26.jpg
155_manifold26.jpg (66.3 KiB) Viewed 12254 times
155_manifold28.jpg
155_manifold28.jpg (75.78 KiB) Viewed 12250 times
Nice piece Indeed
Nice piece Indeed
155_intake_w-fuel_rail48.jpg (92.13 KiB) Viewed 12252 times
Ross Gallichotte
'73 2000 GTV
'69 1750 GTV
'61 Guilietta Sprint
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Ok, that intake (the std one in the pics above) looks very different when compared to the 75 part where the tracts are more or less normal to the split plane which creates an angle in between the head and intake.
The fabricated piece looks stunning! Looks like the "pipes" are slightly conical in shape too, lovely. :D
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Alfaross69
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfaross69 »

Mats,
I would like to compare the 75 manifold to the 155 manifold. Anybody have a pic handy to upload of a freestanding manifold to make comparison.I don't understand "normal to the split plane

Yes they are conical ...maybe to increase velocity a good thing for pumping more charge,pretty standard porting technique?

Yes, it is nicely done, I want one but for now its carbs for vintage although when I take them off the track way in the future, Turbo is the way to go, quiet sleeper but killer. I have a 2.2 turbo LeBaron and it is much better than its later 3.0 aspirated sister,quiet but very fast,gets better mileage too 27 vs 20.
Ross Gallichotte
'73 2000 GTV
'69 1750 GTV
'61 Guilietta Sprint
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Here is a pic of a modified TS manifold from AH Motorsport in the UK

What I meant was that the 75 manifold has the runners in a right angle outwards from the mating surface between the head and manifold, the 155 manifold looks like it is angled upwards and therefore is more of a natural extension of the inlet port, the 75 manifold creates an angle because the runners in the manifold points straight out from the head rather then upwards in the port direction.

Feels like I should make a drawing to explain it better... :)
Last edited by Mats on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

I was looking at the squadra site and there is not that much difference in performance when you look to the 164 TS <'92 and >'92 (old / new head). Just a smoother torque curve.

http://www.squadra-tuning.com/English/E ... _20_TS.htm
http://www.squadra-tuning.com/English/E ... 0_TS41.htm

Ok can't you compare them due to the different Motronic etc.....
-------------

Added (050315) : Cam shafts are not the same. So can't compare!
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Alfaross69
Silver
Silver

155 vs 75TS manifold

Post by Alfaross69 »

Mats,
I do understand no need for drawing .The 75 TS manifold ports are more perpendicular to the head and the 155 one have a steeper angle or a straighter entry with less bend at the valve itself. This is why they supposedly have better flow. Your pic is perfect for comparison.
R
Ross Gallichotte
'73 2000 GTV
'69 1750 GTV
'61 Guilietta Sprint
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

This thread needs to become more active. :)

I just finished reading through again and it struck me that the area around the intake looks very different between the heads, on the 75 there are coolant passages all around the intake tracts and as you can see on the pic above the water exits at the front of the engine. On the 155 version there are no coolant passages at all around the intake area and it instead exits at the rear of the head.
There is also a groove for the fuel injector spray in the 155 head that's missing on the 75 head.

I'd really like to have one of those engines, 1995cc and all. To bad thay are as rare as hens teeth here in Sweden. :/
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Alfaross69
Silver
Silver

Hold on don't get bummed

Post by Alfaross69 »

Mats,
Boy are you in luck! Please reconsider this notion. I have attached a larger version of photo than before. Look closely as there are water jacket plugs between intakes below the manifold. Look at photo lower left and you can barely see one. Tomorrow I will get straight on shot and repost. Also I have included photos of Jim Steck's 155 head showing his method of connecting the water passages together. I don't trust this method long term for the street but it will work for his Bonneville cars since they will maintain it more frequently. I thing its doable with all AN hoses and fittings but will be more expensive of course. I have also attached a shot of the injectors and fuel rail.
I don't believe engines are rare, since when we bought 2- TS 75's out of Italy and we purchased the extra 155 heads for an additional 200 US each. They came from somewhere (off an actual 155 engine) didn't they? So they must be available. Sweden is closer than the US to italy so shipping may be less. BUT......there are difficulties in putting them (a whole 155 engine) in older Alfas as they are sidewinder engines with a center location to the sump which interferes with the crossmenbers. There are also some other issues that Jim explained. Starter location and bellhousing shapes? Another may be the ignition paks which are different ? I'll have to go thru emails and cull info but not now as I'm fading fast, sorry. Here's what we plan on doing if you have a spare 2 L engine. Take the head off a TS 75 and put it on the 2L engine following previous post using the few extra TS parts plus the Steck modified distributor to get rid of distributor on head and the new exhaust header ). Voila a TS 2L Nord ! .......... Then put the 155 head on the older TS bloc
The reason for this monkey motion is that you can't put a 155 head directly on a 2L engine, but I forget why (water passsgae don't line up?). I'll research some more. I'm so jazzed about it .
PS my regular computer is back up and running so I'll check out the CD's over the next couple of days
Ross
Attachments
stock 155 head with water jacket access plug
stock 155 head with water jacket access plug
P0004265.JPG (185.23 KiB) Viewed 11696 times
whole engine view
whole engine view
155_cooling844.jpg (93.83 KiB) Viewed 11696 times
top water log manifold
top water log manifold
155_cooling845.jpg (97.62 KiB) Viewed 11697 times
water log manifold
water log manifold
155_cooling846.jpg (79.14 KiB) Viewed 11696 times
fuel rail
fuel rail
155_intake_w-fuel_rail48.jpg (45.99 KiB) Viewed 11698 times
Last edited by Alfaross69 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ross Gallichotte
'73 2000 GTV
'69 1750 GTV
'61 Guilietta Sprint
Alfaross69
Silver
Silver

More

Post by Alfaross69 »

Mats ,
Additionally,by groove in manifold do you mean relief for injectors? I believe in the previously posted photo that new turbo 155 manifold was not finshed, see attached photo showing bosses for injectors installed with comparison of both manifolds,both 155 I may have mistyped previously thinking it was a stock TS75 manifold comparison.
I will get a photo of the stock TS 75 injectors the one above you speak of is the carb version from EBspares right? We have not shown the stock injector manifold setup of the TS75
Also the rear main seal area is different from TS75 and sump flange extends out further is additional problem, I think.
Ross
Attachments
finished turbo manifold and comparison to stock 155?
finished turbo manifold and comparison to stock 155?
155_comparison62.jpg (60.07 KiB) Viewed 11687 times
view of center sump
view of center sump
155TS header1.jpg (66.53 KiB) Viewed 11683 times
area of starter and bellhousing shape
area of starter and bellhousing shape
155TS Block Rear.jpg (111.16 KiB) Viewed 11686 times
Ross Gallichotte
'73 2000 GTV
'69 1750 GTV
'61 Guilietta Sprint
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

That is bloody brilliant. Thats what I call swift action. :D

Ok, now that you showed me the water jackets under the intake I'm convinced. That is just superb.
I'm thinking of the 155 head on the 75 TS block, that would fit I'm hoping, can't see why not?
75 TS head on old nord block is more difficult since the head studs are different length.

I did mean the relief for the injectors, there are none on the 75 TS head.
On that side shot of the engine with manifolds, is that the water pump on the front cover where the PS pump is located on the 75? Looks nice and small...

I got a dissassembled 75 TS in my garage, I'll try to snap some pics asap and post them here. big difference in the mating surface of the intake/head.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!