Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

David I´m sure, checked it twice before taking the head off. The dizzy spunn 1,5 turns when the engine went one (1). This is because the dizzy isn´t placed there on the 164. It´s on the back of the left cyl. bank, so it doesn´t come into play.

The engine is out of a ´91 164 3.0QV (S)
Thanks for the tip about plugging the hole, will do!

Seb
Proud member of Team Rauk Race.

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
75 3.0 Race Car "The raukster"
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Seb,

No Probs, my 164 FWD 3.0L had the Dizzy on the head, but only needed the oil pump changing due to the screw and washer on the drive shaft.

By the way, while you have the head off the 3.0L, what markings are on the cam shafts. I'm trying to find out what's in mine with markings as per the following.

David
Attachments
Cam Letter.JPG
Cam Letter.JPG (4.74 KiB) Viewed 12488 times
Cam Numbers.JPG
Cam Numbers.JPG (8.76 KiB) Viewed 12489 times
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

I will have a look David, next time I´m in the garage.
I would think the "S" means you have the cams from a QV (S) engine. (200bhp stock) Thats what I have since my whole engine is from a 164QV .

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

David!

I´ve checked out my cams and they seem to be the same as Yours.

One says 30 31 and the other 30 33. I can´t find a marking like the "S" you have, but thay are prutty oily. Hope You have any help from this!

Seb
Attachments
MVC-006F.JPG
MVC-006F.JPG (56.18 KiB) Viewed 12452 times
MVC-005F.JPG
MVC-005F.JPG (56.47 KiB) Viewed 12452 times

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

But now, I have a problem, maybe one of you can help me.

Im trying to get the cam wheel off, but its stuck as hell. I´ve used a puller, banged on it, heated it, ripped my hair out and puked blood! How do I get the little fu**er off?

I´ve loosened the center nut, and the three bolts in the plate outside the wheel. The wheel is loose and is ratteling in an anoying way inside the plate, but the plate doesn´t move!

If anyone of you hav e good tip I´d really appreciate it!

/Seb

some pics:
Attachments
Hrmfhh...
Hrmfhh...
MVC-003F.JPG (54.31 KiB) Viewed 12447 times
Not easy getting a good grip either...
Not easy getting a good grip either...
MVC-004F.JPG (50.29 KiB) Viewed 12446 times

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

Seb:
I seen you try to pull on the hub. I just loosen the center nut and pull on the wheel itself. Just tighten up and give the puller a hit with a hammer now and then.

Jarle
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Jarle!

I tried that first. But since nothing happened I changed taktics. I wasn´t sure how much force the wheel could handle. I pulled hard on it!! And banged on the puller shaft. Well, I´ll keep trying...

Thanks for helping guys, excellent!

Seb
Attachments
MVC-001F.JPG
MVC-001F.JPG (44.41 KiB) Viewed 12424 times

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
Jarle
Gold
Gold

Post by Jarle »

Seb:
These wheels can handle a lot of power sideways. I ensambled 4 set of heads last week an all of the wheels came of after some rough handling :)

Jarle
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Seb,
In my experience you have to keep releasing the puller jaws and rotate around the "support hub" so that the pulling force is distributed around the circumferance.Once you've gone around once set your puller and crank it almost to the point where you think you're going to break the hub or the puller.Be carefull because when it pops off it will fly across the garage.Ask me how I know this !
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

OK, thanks guys!

Murray, did you pull on the hub or on tha wheel? My puller doesn´t grip to well on the hub. If I crank it too hard it slips. In that sence maybe it´s better to pull on the wheel itself. (?)

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

Seb wrote:OK, thanks guys!

Murray, did you pull on the hub or on tha wheel? My puller doesn´t grip to well on the hub. If I crank it too hard it slips. In that sence maybe it´s better to pull on the wheel itself. (?)

Seb
I didn't read the whole thread but did you guys know there's a factory Alfa tool for this? It screws into the 3 bolt holes on the balance plate in the front of the cam sprocket sort of like the steering wheel puller.

Perhaps 3 bolts into a home made tool would be better than the 3-jaw puller. The sprocket itself is very soft metal.

The best would be to find someone local to you has the tool you can borrow. You'll need the cam locking tool and cam turning tool too when you go to reassemble.

Have a look at http://alfa.denovich.org/twiki/bin/view/Alfa. There are directions to make at least one of them.

-Peter
The true joy of an Alfa Romeo is behind the wheel.
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Peter!

Why do I need the tools to reassembly the wheel? Isn´t it just to put it back and tighten the center nut?

Maybe I´ve missed something here.

Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

Seb wrote:Peter!

Why do I need the tools to reassembly the wheel? Isn´t it just to put it back and tighten the center nut?

Maybe I´ve missed something here.

Seb
When you go to install the heads and belt back on the block, you'll need the cam turning tool to line everything up and the locking tool while you adjust the tensioner. Do yourself a favour and use a rebuilt hydraulic tensioner (see the rebuild tips I posted on another thread).

Don't install the factory valve bending tool (thermo-mechanical tensioner).

A couple of other notes:

AAV:

The Motronic uses an IAC (idle air controller) thats stepper controlled based on CLT, IAT and load. It's the big solenoid looking thing on the long side of the plenum opposite the runners. It uses pulse width modulation to control the valve opening. Motronic doesn't use the AAV which is thermo controlled and not even connected to the primitive L-Jet except for a ground wire that activates it when powered on. The IAC controls the amount of idle air in all conditions warm or cold.

I would highly recommend an aftermarket engine management system for a project like this.

David in Brisbane:

That is a nice project!! Nice job on the runners. I see a lack of an AFM. What speed/density system are you using?

-Peter
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

P.Webb wrote:
[David in Brisbane:

That is a nice project!! Nice job on the runners. I see a lack of an AFM. What speed/density system are you using?

-Peter
Duh, never mind. That's the MS install I helped you with. I hadn't seen any underhood pictures. We tuned Davids car on a Sunday afternoon via the internet from Chicago, USA to Brisbane AUS.

See, Seb it can be done. Sounds like this Motronic install is a whole lot of work and grief for a stock system. If you're going to feel the pain, you might as well have the gain!

-Peter
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Thanks Peter!

On the engine I´m using/converting to, it is a hydralic tensioner, isn´t it? It´s a 164 3.0QV from 91.

About the AAV. Thanks!! I could use some more help concerning the Motronic, You seem to now. :D

Have You seen this thread?
http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=96

Cheers /Seb

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83