allalfa
Silver
Silver

Post by allalfa »

Sperry Valveworks may have a few parts for your head job indeed. Also, from what I have read I would say that your problem is definately electrical. Given that you have replaced soo much stuff, I would probably go back to the basics, I had the same identical problem that you have been experiencing in my Milano ince. Let me ask you this, do you have an alarm system on that car? :lol:
allalfa
Silver
Silver

Post by allalfa »

Anyway, my question about the allarm is not a sarcastic one. Most allarms are designed to shut off the ignition system. Now, it is true that you have replaced your factory system with the Crane one, however, some systems affect the power supply that goes directly to the ignition. I used to have one of these allarm systems. What used to happen was that a wire behind the front driver's side headlight kept rubbing against the metal until the coating stripped, hence it would rub with vibration momentarily shutting the engine down. So, when the car was cold, the wire was stiffer and did not rub as much, but as soon as the weather or the engine warmed up, it would make the car act exactly the way you described. I thought that this was happening under a load, but I was eventually able to test the system with a Snap-On fuel pressure gauge set, when I simulated the load (by pulling the vacum line going to the plenum) the pump registered good/sufficient pressure. Out of desperation a friend of mine kept wiggling all of the wires with the engine running, and sure enough, the car eventually shut off. The vibration was making the wire rub, when turning corners, under a load, in accelleration. A truly misleading problem. You may not even have an allarm system, but if you do it is worth to check for loose or worn wires in the system. Just an idea, I figured that at this point you tried enough stuff already, one extra thing won't hurt.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

AllAlfa...My car has a stock 2.5 harness with NO extras...EXCEPT the prior owner/builder did a little cutting and pasting to get the 2.5 harness to work with the installed 3.0 computer...I am not sure of what exactly was done in areas I can't see.

Anyway..no worries..HALTECh on the way
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

here is what I am runing with my VEMS. I hope this helps
this is a 3L S spec. so I am runing the 164 Hi-Z injectors

the older injectors are Lo-Z
you might need to have the right box for Lo-Z ?

I have my Req. Fuel set to 9ms
Attachments
spark
spark
spark.jpg (86.74 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
VE
VE
ve.jpg (75.23 KiB) Viewed 5863 times
lambda target for closed loop.
lambda target for closed loop.
lambda.jpg (76.39 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
1987 black Milano Verde
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

VEMS.....seems like a pretty solid system for racing...easy to work with?

Thanks for the tables

What's you engine setup like...Liters, comp ratio..cams...etc..
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

it have a very long post over on the alfabb
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=26315

I got a 164S motor very trashed inside
I used the S pistons (should have used new)
new rings
S intake cut and reweled
my old crank and pullys and flywheel (to keep the balence)
I moved the trigger wheel off the 164 pully. (I would not do this again I would change to ribbed belts if I did it again)

I did not order new pistons at the time as my old motor at 230,000 miles the pistons and liners looked like new. but the 164 was very trashed like sand was in the oil. but I had to get the car to together as I need a car to get to work. and I had the spider apart
I still need to modify the org filter cover. so it will look more OEM. I have the round filters there untill I finish the air box
Attachments
as it is now.
as it is now.
motor.jpg (80.06 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
1987 black Milano Verde
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

hose covers?
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

"hose covers?"
The red? yea I put that on any burstable hose now.
I had the bottom big host burst once a long time ago on a new motor while driving in the rain. the temp shot up in a instant and I turnd off the key and costed to a stop. but the head was badly warped. With the mesh covers the hose can not burst. it might start to leak but that will give me some time to save the motor.
I used to use the clear but it gets very ugly. The red and black seem to keep the looks.
some times I use the stainless steel but it is a pain to work with and I seem to poke my finger with the sharp wires in the stainless.
1987 black Milano Verde
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

so those are nylon or a variant...? from racing store?
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

"so those are nylon or a variant...? from racing store?"
yes and yes

it was cheap. only the SS cost $$$
I got it a while ago. but most of the shops here have closed up now.
so if the auto-zone or like has it fine. but more and more is just mail order now
1987 black Milano Verde