Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

OK Jim,

nice info, too mild you think...
Where do I find such a modern cam for a reasenable price?
Or a design, the guy might want to do a special one.
Fuhrtermore got from someone the Belgium adres www.catcams.be they make specials...

Saluti,

Maurizio
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Maurizio, look into: www.dbilas-dynamic.de and not in the AR section, there are great profiles for us in the Opel and VW sections.
As far as Catcams go, I got a great Godzilla set from them 2months ago for a local racer, the 13mm ones. Excellent quality, and gundrilled too with an 18 or 20mm (if I remember right) bore all the way through! They must weigh no more than 1kg! Gives the impression you can bend them with your bare hands! (I bet the mighty viking could!!) :lol:
Then again...if you buy me that great Schnitzel in Adenau next time we meet (everything has a price in life, I still remember the taste, heheh! :wink: ), I may just force myself to design a profile of your choice, but who's going to build it for you? I can give you lift (over a base radius)every 2 degrees from 0-180, which is perfectly adequate data for grinding. Conceivably, you could have it reground on an existing suitable cam, provided you don't end up needing 5mm shims!
Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

OK Jim,

a LARGE wiener Schnitzel is coming up! 8)

Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Whoops,
I think Jimbo will be plenty full of schnitzels (at least 5 secs slow due to extra weight).

Not 100% sure but I recall alfanockenwellen can build the cam up to your specs.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hah, don't worry about my race-weight Micke, I always unload undesirable biodegradable by-products before driving! Helps fit in tight buckets too! :lol:
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Hmm, catcams has got some sweet stuff... Makes you think, doesn't it? :D

V6 cams too, which ones are closest to QV spec. (or S)? Thinking about emission here. need to pass 3.5% CO at idle.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I don't think you'll have much luck here. They all got wrong ramps, making for very high overlap area (=unb.HC). Even the otherwise mild C&B V6 cams have 1000+ HC!! You can pass CO but don't they check HC??
From V6 cams I have measured, I have come to the conclusion that using a different design, can increase performance without creating undue emissions.
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

They don't measure HC on pre-cat (-88B or -89) cars, only CO. :)
As I said, 3.5% CO.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yeah, we got them pre-cat regulations too, but they also specify 450HC along with (I think) 4%CO. In that case, you got it easy!
Jim K.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Jim,

do you have a good profile which would be possible to regrind on my 24V cams? Street use, ported head, stock valves, else std Q4.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Well-well,this is turning into a fine day indeed! Micke here, is the man who will buy me Schnitzel #2, heheh! :lol:
I already reground my 24v cams to a very good profile, the Renault Williams 2,0. Comparison follows:
164Q4: 9,3mm lift, 208*@1,25mm, effective duration(hyd.) 244*.
R.Will.: 9,9mm lift, 220*@1,25mm, effective duration(hyd.) 256*.
Not bad at all, right? And, I've spotted another great profile for an even faster road 24v, still emmissions-legal! (You're going to run up quite a bill at Adenau! :lol: )
Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

@micke
24V cams
:shock: how on earth did you get 6 valves/cyl in a TS head :lol:

@jim
not in the AR section, there are great profiles for us in the Opel and VW sections

What am I looking for: longest possible duration of the cam with a ~11.x lift? For me also no HC just 0.5%CO at idle...... (the catalyst doesn't have to be visible either, strange rule but I can live with that :lol: )

Ps serviced the '99 VW caddy of my in-laws last weekend and was impressed by the nice (rolled up, to get length) plastic intake manifold of the 1.6l gasoline engine.

Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I have data from a dyno type (load) smog emissions testing machine. Probably stricter than most euro standards.

Even with the CB 10.4mm cams, my car was putting out about 40 ppm HC at 2500 rpm.

With QV cams. HC emissions was well below 10 ppm at idle and 2500 rpm (no load).

EFI was autronic.
iachella
Silver
Silver

Post by iachella »

I've read this whole thread with great interest. The idea of the 155TS engine on a Nord block intrigues me greatly. I haven't been able to determine from the discussion of the water return problem, if it is just due to the space at the back of the head to the firewall in older GTVs. I'm thinking about the Alfetta GT and I just looked at mine and I have at least 4 inches (10cm) from the back of my head to the firewall (bulkhead). What are the dimensions of the fitting that bolts to the back of the head? It would seem an easier mod would be to build an elbow with a flange to bolt up to the back of the head, at least on the Alfetta.

Are there any other problems with the Nord block to the 155TS head, or is this the only major one? How do the exhaust studs line up to the 75TS exhaust manifold. My Alfetta would use the standard exhaust manifold from a 75 and custom made ones wouldn't be necessary.

What else can people tell me about this conversion?

Thanks,
Stefano
Stefano, Concord CA
74 GTV, 79 Alfetta GT
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

That it is going to be a royal pain in the butt, the head studs are different between the Nord and the TS. Much easier to just use a 75 TS engine as a base.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!