FLETCH
Silver
Silver

OILS ??

Post by FLETCH »

Hey all,
I am planning on an oil change soon on my 2.5 and was wondering what the good oil you guys would suggest?It does have a few leaks here and there and remember reading that synthetic can add to oil loss?I dont think this engine will be in use for much longer as i am looking into a new one,but until then i would like to give it a fresh fill of something ,also what oils do you all use in the good healthy engines ? :D
John Brase
Silver
Silver

Post by John Brase »

I swear by Castrol GTX 20w50. I've used it in all my Alfas, my race cars (when I had them) and my motorcycles. Hell, I even put it in my lawn tractor.

John
John Brase
'84 GTV6
'78 BMW R100RS
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

I only use synthetics in mine - Mobil 1 15W50.

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

I am also a Castrol GTX 20/50 fan.My engine has always run on this stuff and at over 200k miles I'm in the process of rebuilding and I'm astounded by how good all the internal wear parts are.I could easily put it back together using the original bearings but I won't seeing as I'm in there and they aren't expensive to replace.Obviously any good oil will work as long as you change it regularly but Alfas seem to do particularly well with 20/50.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

I only use synthetic in mine too. Nothing but the best for my baby. Amsoil 20/50. It's expensive but worth it.

Alfas have a lot in common with women. If you don't give her just the right thing, you'll end up walking home :)

Oh, and no goo either. No engine restorer or stop-leak or any of that crap. If the car leaks or burns oil, fix it.

-Peter
The true joy of an Alfa Romeo is behind the wheel.
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

P.Webb wrote:I only use synthetic in mine too. ..the best for my baby....

Alfas have a lot in common with women. If you don't give her just the right thing, you'll end up walking home :)

-Peter
eh?

you mean both require lube? or they're only happy with a synthetic? :oops:

ok. i'll be serious. Why are all you using a high cold viscosity rating? sure a lot of engines out there are old, but if one was fully rebuilt with tight clearences would that change the recommendation? Jim K on the old forum stated the original specs from alfa for "vigorous use", i think it was something like 10 or 15 -50. surely a synthetic these days could cover both angles, cold starts and high temp protection.

i'm thinking a slightly lower rating could be good for short trips especially in cold weather.. thoughts?
drew_s`b`r
Silver
Silver

Post by drew_s`b`r »

i only ever used penrite hpr40 in my 75...15-40w from memory
-drew (aka sh*tbmxrider)

2005 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo- 230rwkw
2010 Isuzu D-Max LS-M
1990 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7ie
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Joey,Welcome home mate..
Oils-We spent 2 years with the gta race cars and a company that analyzes oils for us.The resulting data showed everything from eccessive bearing wear to a lot of brass particles in the gear oil.Fantastic tecnology but at the end of the day we ran a good old 20-50 to run the motors in and then went over to a 20-50 Agip synthetic.In racing conditions the 20-50 gave the best overall performance with oil temps heading for 150 deg C.We ran massive coolers but the ambient temp was usually around 30 plus deg C.Water temps was round the 95 to 115 deg C mark.These engines lasted every race without problems.I am digresing here...

The team experimented with all sorts of oils,viscosoties,etc.I would not know what would work for Murray in Canada though.I presume its zero most of the time Murray??

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Yes Barry except for that one day in July when it rises above zero :D but then the polar bears get pissed and it's not safe to venture outside.-or so it seems. In fact Canada has great extremes.-35C winter to +35C summer.I only drive my Alfas for three seasons and never use them for short trips.If I was starting them at temps.below 10 deg.C I would not use 20/50.In my Audi I run Castrol 0/40 synth.and it works very well for winter conditions.I view oil selection in my Alfas a little bit like witchcraft.My GTV6 has always been fed Castrol 20/50 by previous owners and the results are good.Likewise the previous owner of my 75TS only used AGIP 10/40 Synthetic and that is what I will use.I guess my philosophy is "if it ain't broke don't fix it"-sound North American logic.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

thanks for the input guys !

baz, thanks, iv'e been lingering for a while now...thats good to know.. 20/50 it is... if i ever get to hit the track, or perhaps i'ld change the oil on those warm days i'm pulling the great ocean rd run ! hehe, i know i shouldn't, but sweeping curves, blindspots, hyperactive police + cliff face on the other side of the road can't prevent me from hammering it. and thats a decent 200km+ run all at once.

but what of city driving? what do you use in your private cars? (no wait, judging by your giulietta, you prolly treat all roads like a track !) many of my trips max out at 20mins of driving and many a lot less. I'm concerned about these short trips, i did use castrol in my other car (dad threw it in there cos he's cheap and drives a truck) and in that car, specified oil is 7.5w-30 - a lot thinner. Sure its no sports car, but when i did switch over the engine hit temp a lot sooner. In fact - the first time i put it in the car smoked like mad (it was a cold night), but thankfully that hasn't happened again.

i'ld be interested what ALFA recommended at the time in the home country. Ahh, JIM where are you??

ps: i found a link on the old site: http://www.alfagtv6.com/discus/messages/199/1589.html
it seems it was a 15/50 reccy by the factory, guess that aint much different.. although that castrol rs 10w-60 seems interesting ! :lol:
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

In my 3.0 litre I always ran Shell Helix semi-synthetic 15W50.I did about 18 track days with that motor so I am a stickler over oil.I never drove more than 5000kms between oil and filter changes.

Now I have a Glenwood 3,5 litre and Dawie has advised me to run Shell Helix 20W60.It's a normal multigrade oil called "For Older Engines" in South Africa!I am going to switch to Castrol Futron 20W60 Semi-Synthetic and apparently unique to this country. I am fitting an oil cooler aswell because the 3,5 runs hotter than my 3.0 litre used too. :D
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

what about the hydrualic tensioner?

would a thicker oil help reduce the chances of a leak?

if it does leak, would it occur when the engine is warm and the cylinder is de-tensioning the belt?

in this case, would a 10w60 be the best of both worlds? ie, cold start and engine protection?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Fernando should know what works-he`s a regular on the track with his car-Hi bud.

Joey,Get rid of the hydraulic tensioner! Should have the day you bought it.I dont think there is a car here with a fully functional tensioner as Alfa intended.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I know several people up here (including me) that have had problem with Shell Helix oils. When changing the oil is has been complertely separated, part like water and some black nasty stuff. Not using that again, ever.

I run Mobil1 5w-50 Rallye and Selenia 10w-60 Racing, works great.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

excellent, i think i'll have to try that 10w60 stuff, sounds perfect..

barry, man you're making me shit my pants (again)... down here we dont have those mech. units, i think we're all running the original unit..

afaik, even beninca still likes them?

damnit - that means i gotta ship over a unit from the US... there goes $200.