CGaunt1136
Silver
Silver

3.0 V6 Timing belt (sorry)

Post by CGaunt1136 »

Hi all, new to this site so go careful on me!!

A quick question, this is a 164 V6
Going around a round-about at about tickover when timing belt snapped/lost teeth.
At this amount of revs, is it likely to have caused damage to valves or is it a case of the engines are alweays damaged by a failure ??

Regards .
CGaunt1136
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

It's not an ALWAYS. However most likely it will have bent some valves. You will need to do a compression check to know for sure. It can slip one tooth with no damage.
Greg www.hiperformancestore.com
CGaunt1136
Silver
Silver

Post by CGaunt1136 »

Sorry about the spelling :D

Well, the bottom-end was turning , and the top not, so i take it damage would be done??
CGaunt1136
Silver
Silver

Post by CGaunt1136 »

To follow up, i guess i will need to replace the belt to do the compression check anyway, so its a case of fix it and see?
jornmason
Silver
Silver

Post by jornmason »

have you taken the covers off to inspect the belt or to check how many teeth the belt skipped? the v6 had a one tooth leeway for timing, beyond one tooth they turn the valves into pretzels, ask me how i know!
jornmason
Silver
Silver

Post by jornmason »

have you taken the covers off to inspect the belt or to check how many teeth the belt skipped? the v6 had a one tooth leeway for timing, beyond one tooth they turn the valves into pretzels, ask me how i know!
CGaunt1136
Silver
Silver

Post by CGaunt1136 »

Yeah, Its stripped a LOT of teeth, So the Cams stopped instantly while the rest still turning! :oops: as you and Greg said, it prob done some damage, just wanted to make sure if there would of been interference at that low RPM.. But sounds like this is the case... I only paid £475 for the car two-years ago, so i might as well get another 164 instead of spending heaps on the valves, as its done 135000 and is tatty, but thanks to you both for clarifying all.. As i was going to just do the belt ans see!
jornmason
Silver
Silver

Post by jornmason »

yeah i was driving out of a parking lot at 2000 rpm belt tensioner gave way and bent every valve on the left bank of my milano verde, luckily im a mechanic, so did a valve job and went on my merry way, but in a shop it would be a good $800+ not really sure never had to pay for car work, ha ha ha, oh sorry. good luck with your car!