Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Got a Knock sound in my V6 engine

Post by Jose_76 »

I've just realised that there's a knock sound coming from the engine. It looks like it comes from the piston No.4. It sounds when cold or hot and on almost all the rev-range. The more you rev the engine up, the more often it knocks. Sometimes the sound disappears over 3.000rpm but not always and not at the same revs. It is more noticeable between 1.000-2.000rpm but you can't hear it from inside the car (still :? )

What can it be? :cry:
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

:( hmmm, whats the mileage on the motor? sounds like a con rod end.

mjr
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey my 164S has the same knock. I think Rod bearings, most pronounce in the 1-2K rpm range. Sounds like cluk cluk cluk, especially when there is no load. Engine has about 280k KM.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

if it is a small end or big end bearing, depending on how loud the knock is, you may get away ith it for a long time. I had a 3l supra with a worn small end bearing. I just ran it on a slightly thicker oil, and it lasted another 40,000 miles before it gave in, and I didnt nurse it either,I just drove it normally. if its loud, then the chaces are it wont last.

mjr
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

If you look on the old site at this thread:

http://www.alfagtv6.com/discus/messages ... 20000117pm

(or just search for "push rod" (in quotes)) you find a discussion that the noise may be from the valve train and not the bottom end.

A quote from that thread from someone named Tim:

"This is a very interesting thread regarding the mysterious warm engine knock that seems to be common for the Alfa V-6.

I don't believe this knock is always lower-end related as some suggest. The lower end of the Alfa V-6 is built especially rock solid as independent test have proven; for example as the Callaway turbo dyno bench test showed.

Wrist pin knock typically will occur when an engine is cold and then it will decrease with the rise to operating temp. My BMW 2002 has this type of knock.

I believe this myterious V-6 knock is coming from the upper end, perhaps worn cam bearings, push rods, rockers or something up there? Obviously temp related.

BTW: A decent test for worn main bearings is to run the engine to full temp and put the gas on hard, if the oil pressure drops while doing this then more than likely the main bearings are badly worn. For accuracy sake it is probably a good idea hook up diagnostic digital oil pressure meter while doing this type of test.

A good test for rod bearings is to run the engine to full temp and then increase the gas, then let off the gas suddenly. During this transition, when letting off the gas, worn rod bearnings will knock slightly. Also at cold start the rods will knock until oil pressure comes up, sure fire sign that the rod bearings are worn."
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

"Knock knock"
"Who's there?"
"Rod"
"Rod who?"
"Rod bearing"
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I had a knock in the exact same rpm range...it turned out to be cracked rings and scored liner...big end and little end in spec...
car guy
Silver
Silver

Engine Knock

Post by car guy »

I suspect this top end engine knock when the engine is hot maybe due to excessive ingnition timing. (detonation) Retarding the ignition slightly should reduce it.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Ha ha Ben, thats good !
car guy
Silver
Silver

Post by car guy »

This site is well managed. Who is ben?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

x-rad wrote:I had a knock in the exact same rpm range...it turned out to be cracked rings and scored liner...big end and little end in spec...
Long day, huh Ben ?
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Wow... my Knock knock joke is 2 years old now!
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Did you get a cake for it?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Alfaboy1970
Silver
Silver

I have a reverberating knock at tick over?

Post by Alfaboy1970 »

I have a reverberating knock at tick over it gets louder and then dies off again to repeat the same pattern, you cant hear it from inside the car only when the bonnet is up? i have no idea of the real mileage of the engine as it is a 3.0l out of a crashed 75 and I bought it without any verification. PS it does sound very sewing machine like over 2-3000 rpm.
car guy
Silver
Silver

engine knock

Post by car guy »

I think this is a common noise from this style engine when hot. most likely due to worn intake valve fowlers (tappets) . replace the intake valve fowlers .adjust intake and exhaust valves. I would check engine comppression first before doing the valve adjustment. No sense adjusting valves on a severly worn engine, it may need a overhaul. I wish Alfa had the fiat spider intake valve setup. You do not have to remove the cams to adjust the valves on the Fiat. A much better design I think.