Jose_76
Gold
Gold

3.0 12v stock pistons specs

Post by Jose_76 »

Does anybody have the specifications (all the measures) of the stock 3.0 12 v pistons for the 9,5:1 and 10:1CR models?

THANKS!! :wink:
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

One more thing, what's the diameter of the piston pins?

Thanks
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Jose_76 wrote:One more thing, what's the diameter of the piston pins?

Thanks
My bet is 22mm
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Thanks, Mats!

Do you know if Porsche 3.0 pistons can be fitted in Alfa's V6 12v engines?
That's whay I want the specifications of the pistons. They look to me similar, but it's important to know about the differences between domes.
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

My 3.0 Porsche had 104 mm pistons so they might be "biggish".
The 2.5 I had before had 100 mm pistons so they could be usable. Models were 944 S2 and S
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Sorry for my lack of precision. :?
I mean 95 and 98mm pistons from the 911's
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Jose,

Why not get JE or Venolia? I think Greg has specs on Venolia.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jose,We have done many big bores using the Porche piston..98mm and 100mm.
In fact I have Kevins dad`s engine with me right now,98mm Porche pistons..

Also look at Bike pistons,Honda and Yamaha 100mm..Excellent quality,light weight..
American Hyperuetectics as in Kb for Chevvy v6..There are hundreds..

Cp pistoni will make custom for you at 160Euro each...This is top dog stuff..
The American forgings from je,ross etc..are solid and heavy..I found rather large clearences...Very good stuff,but live with a rattling engine when cold...again,super pistons...You cannot beat the bike stuff..its just so good...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Barry I think this piston rattling when cold is somewhat of a myth. We have built four motors using Venolias and none rattle when cold. Corvettes and many other factory cars have forged pistons and no rattling when cold.

Venolia suggests rather large clearances in thier specs as do most makers of traditional forged pistons. However, in Venolia's case and probably the others they include a spec tag that say these specs are general guidelines and to have your machinest set the clearances up for your specific appliation.

Having called Venolia to ask what the heck that means they told me that the specs they suggest are for hard core race use and are on the ultra conservative side. They don't want the pistons expanding enough to scruff up the cyliner walls in extreem applications so they suggest the most conservative possible (loosest) clearances.

We set them up for .006 of an inch and have never had a problem and definatly have not had any rattling.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,Ive got 2x 3.8l 24v using JE 101.6mm forgings...Its a shortish skirt piston,probably 65mm,and they are set at 0.006" clearence..
These buggrs rattle when cold..Not loudly,granted,but audible for a while..
My 2.0l turbo ran Venolia`s(remember the old John Shankle Venolias??)Destroyed a set at the reccomended clearence,contacted John,increased clearence and had a rattling motor at cold..
Im NOT saying the U.S.forgings are crap,far from it..Ive used JE,Venolia,Arias,CP,TRW,and a few ohers..Excellent products and thank goodness for these guys,otherwise we would all drive boggo stock std. cars..

What I am saying is that for the street,if I can use a cast piston,it would be preferable..Tighter clearences,MORE POWER,longer lasting engine..
This is where I enjoy using the Japanese piston..
Hey,this is simply a personal choice..
Another S.African engine builder of note has stadardised on 100mm CP forgings.Great engines,they all rattle when cold...Also a lot of blowby compared to the castings..Blowby i.m.o,is where the mot efficiency in an enginis lost.
You have 10% blowby,its approx.7% power down the drain..A 3 or 4 % blowby engine just feels soo much better..And Ill stand by this statement ..I have experienced it first hand...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I totally agree that if you can use cast pistons they are better for a street car, especially a normally aspirated car. Cast pistons will give more power, better oil consumption etc. However on a forced induction motor the comfort factor of knowing the pistons are forged is well worth it. The Venolias we use don't rattle at .006 inch clearance so far so good.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

My JEs are ok, they're the low expansion type. No rattling when cold.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

My car is so noisy anyway that piston rattling is no problem whatsoever. Forged Mondials. The TS will be with forged Venolias.

Oh. Almost forgot.
I guy I know was rallying with OE pistons. Looked a bit funny when the head was removed and 3 of 4 were at TDC! One piston just broke in half and the top part stayed up.
OK, he was revving slightly more than stock :o
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:wink: Micke,did you know theres a motorbike piston that gives up to 13:1 cr,and is good for 8500rpm on the ts??? :roll:
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Nope. Tell me more.