MatthewK
Silver
Silver

Drop-in twin spark for a 116 GTV

Post by MatthewK »

OK, I am running out of patience with endless engine issues on my GTV 2.0. Reading the board here, it seems like the 8V twin spark from an Alfa 75 is a straight drop-in for my 2 litre GTV (1984, 116 series).

(a) is that correct - do the flywheel, bell housing and mounts mate up correctly?

(b) what else is involved? If I buy a complete TS with computer, intake and exhaust manifold, is it just a matter of mounting the computer, swapping the fuel lines over, mating up the exhaust, connecting up the cooling system and the electrics?

I'm sure there's a little more to it than that, but how much more? For instance, do I need to move the battery to the back? New fuse box? How does the tach hook up?

My mechanic suggested I should budget about $A 1000 in labour on top of the engine cost, does that seem reasonable? I don't have the skill or the time to do it myself. At this stage I'm looking at a completely stock engine, I don't need crazy performance, just smooth revs, nice sound, decent fuel economy and no oil burning.

And finally, what should I be paying for a good TS from a 75? I had thought of buying an entire 75 TS car which had damage or rust, that way I could get the interior for my 75 and the engine for my GTV.

If anyone knows of someone selling one in Australia, please let me know.
1984 GTV 2.0 twin carb
1987 Alfa 75 2.5 V6
MatthewK
Silver
Silver

Post by MatthewK »

Does no one have any advice at all then?
1984 GTV 2.0 twin carb
1987 Alfa 75 2.5 V6
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

ok, havent really got time now to go into great detail with it but in my opinion i think you are best finding a cheap wrecked complete 75 twinspark. that way you dont find yourself hunting down every little thing you need. not only that but probly end up chepaer too, buying a wreck as you will most likely get one with the gbox still in it too. bonus!!! what you are asking can and has been done but i think your mechanic must be working for free if he is doing it all for 1000. sadly id say its gona end up costing you double that my friend. newaze when i have more time ill go into more detail for you but for now thats my opinion.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
MatthewK
Silver
Silver

Post by MatthewK »

Oh dear, not a promising answer. I guess I'll hold off for as long as I can, and try to pick up something cheap, then get the work done in stages ...

I had thought it would be a matter of disconnecting electrics, fuel, cooling from the Nord engine, undoing the mounts and the driveshaft coupling, lifting it out, then reversing the process with the TS engine. I gather there's a fair bit more involved - re-siting the airbox and filter? Relocating the battery?

You wouldn't be able to donate your 75 TS would you? Just thought I'd ask!
1984 GTV 2.0 twin carb
1987 Alfa 75 2.5 V6
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Go to the AlfaBB, there are some great articles on there about this conversion.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

There will always be loads of little stuff you miss out during the planning of these kind of deals. The major things are the connection of the engine harness and fuel (I'm assuming you have carbs?), the fuel needs a return line and probably a new line to the engine since you will be putting a high pressure pump by the tank.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
sira
Gold
Gold

Post by sira »

I made similar engine swap in my Alfa 75, swaped 1.6 carb with 2.0 TS, the fuel needs a return line and the tank with return line. Line to the engine is OK for 3.2 Bar fuel pump.
OK, I am running out of patience with endless engine issues on my GTV 2.0. Reading the board here, it seems like the 8V twin spark from an Alfa 75 is a straight drop-in for my 2 litre GTV (1984, 116 series).

(a) is that correct - do the flywheel, bell housing and mounts mate up correctly?
On Alfa 75 everything mate up correctly

(b) what else is involved? If I buy a complete TS with computer, intake and exhaust manifold, is it just a matter of mounting the computer, swapping the fuel lines over, mating up the exhaust, connecting up the cooling system and the electrics?

Best option is if you have whole rusty TS Milano, becouse you need Engine with all sensors(crank position, MAP, O2 sensor) , ECU, Wiring Harness, headers, you must make Fuel pump carrier, make whole in firewall for wiring harness

Few pictures from my swap:
Attachments
Alfa Garaža 017 res.JPG
Alfa Garaža 017 res.JPG (83.5 KiB) Viewed 6723 times
Alfa Garaža 018 res.JPG
Alfa Garaža 018 res.JPG (44.28 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
Alfa Garaža 005 resize.JPG
Alfa Garaža 005 resize.JPG (51.8 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
Alfa Garaža 002 resize.JPG
Alfa Garaža 002 resize.JPG (78.32 KiB) Viewed 6725 times
Alfa Garaža 001 resize.JPG
Alfa Garaža 001 resize.JPG (61.87 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
iachella
Silver
Silver

Post by iachella »

I just did this to my US Spec. 116 Alfetta GT. It had Spica fuel injection, so the return fuel line was already there. Mechanically everything fits. Engine mounts, exhaust, flywheel, etc. Harness went through the firewall (bulkhead) where the airconditioning used to go. This was a 1979 model, so the AC was worthless. Tach signal is the white wire, 12 volt switched is the green/black wire, fuel pump is the pink wire. I didn't use the fuel pump wire, as I am using the inertial cutoff of the Spica car, so I just left the pump hooked up as is. I will swap the fuel pump later; the Spica delivery pump puts out 30 PSI and that is fine to get the thing started and drive in the neighborhood without going real fast. Air filter box doesn't fit in the GT model. I think it fits in the Sedan model. Had to use a cone filter. I put both coils where my one coil used to be, so I had to get a long coil-to-distributor wire for the distributor on the exhaust cam. My problem now is the radiator hoses. The Alfetta has the inlet on the radiator on the upper intake side, and the outlet on the lower exhaust side. I had to splice several pieces of hose to get them to the right places on the engine. It started and ran fine. Warmed it up and saw the temp go up and the fan come on. No oil pressure. Swapped senders with my Nord engine which had a relatively new sender. Oil pressure came up on the next running. Went to pull out and my hose splices separated and water went everywhere. I am now rethinking the radiator hose routing and it's taking a little time. I'm really happy the thing ran, though.
Stefano, Concord CA
74 GTV, 79 Alfetta GT
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
MatthewK
Silver
Silver

Post by MatthewK »

Fantastic advice thanks guys. The TS project is on hold for financial reasons at the moment, also because the twin-carb is behaving itself much better these days. But I will keep my eyes open for a suitable donor car.
1984 GTV 2.0 twin carb
1987 Alfa 75 2.5 V6