s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

AFM noise

Post by s0rr0w »

Hi guys..
I started the car yesterday"all fine", But when i tried to get the revs up a bit, it just didnt want to go, heard a knock, knock noise coming from the front..
Stuck my head in the bonnet, and found that the knock noise came from the AFM.The big flap that lets the air in, its like it tries to open, and then gets forced closed again ?

Is my AFM stuffed ? any way to fix this ?

Thanx..
jol
Silver
Silver

Re: AFM noise

Post by jol »

s0rr0w wrote:Hi guys..
I started the car yesterday"all fine", But when i tried to get the revs up a bit, it just didnt want to go, heard a knock, knock noise coming from the front..
Stuck my head in the bonnet, and found that the knock noise came from the AFM.The big flap that lets the air in, its like it tries to open, and then gets forced closed again ?

Is my AFM stuffed ? any way to fix this ?

Thanx..
I think It's just not opening/closing smoothly, or the rubber stop at fully closed might be gone. Remove the rubber hose and feel if its sticking at some point.

If it proves to need replacement and you can't find any from alfas, you can do as I did and pick a late 80/early 90 bmw meter and replace all electronics/guts. Two of the connectors screws dont line up but I'm sure your'e handy with a drill :) Also it probably need recalibration afterwards.
The milano very sold, some day some other Alfa...
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Have you been messing with the AFM spring ? Sounds like the spring has lost its tension.It's easy to check just remove the air filter and use your finger to see if the flapper has spring tension when you push on it.If it doesn't your about to take a major lesson on AFM calibration. :evil:
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
jol
Silver
Silver

Post by jol »

Murray wrote:Have you been messing with the AFM spring ? Sounds like the spring has lost its tension.It's easy to check just remove the air filter and use your finger to see if the flapper has spring tension when you push on it.If it doesn't your about to take a major lesson on AFM calibration. :evil:
Why? Tension it until it starts and run somewhat ok, finetune using a wideband o2 meter (rent from a speedshop perhaps).
The milano very sold, some day some other Alfa...
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

Post by s0rr0w »

Thanx for the reply's

Nope, i have not been fidling with the afm. :roll:
What could cause the spring to loose tension :?:
I'll go have a look tonight, will let you know.

Thank You..
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Nope, i have not been fidling with the afm.
What could cause the spring to loose tension
sOrrOw they don't "normally" loose their tension unless they have been inproperly adjusted.There's a screw that sets the spring's tension under the black plastic cover.That's why I asked if you'd been in there. Check the flapper door and let us know if that appears to be the problem.
1986-GTV6
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

Post by s0rr0w »

Hi
I had a look at the flap "it has spring tension on it"
Any ideas :?:
Anything els i can look at ?
Here r some pics, if it'll help.
Thanx..
Attachments
002.jpg
002.jpg (43.54 KiB) Viewed 10297 times
003.jpg
003.jpg (40.13 KiB) Viewed 10298 times
004.jpg
004.jpg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 10298 times
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Your AFM spring assembly looks normal.Two things I do notice:

1) Time for some housecleaning.The inside the AFM should be sprayed with some carb cleaner.It's important that all the grunge be removed to ensure smooth movement of the "flapper".

2) May just be the photo but in the last one the edge of the "flapper" looks crooked .Have you had a backfire recently ? If it is crooked that will prevent proper full movement.
1986-GTV6
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

could it be a low fuel pressure? one time i had a kinked fuel hose back by the fuel pump and when i got on the gas the motor would almost stall and the afm flap would slam shut as motor stopped sucking air.
v
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

Post by s0rr0w »

I'll clean the afm properly tonight, and try to take some better pics..

I did in fact have a backfire over the weekend "while i was trying to get some revs" do you think it caused any damage ?
What caused the backfire ? too much feul, not enough air ?
Can i just try to bend the flap straight'ish ?

Thanx for that tip Sporttunergtv6, i'll have a look at the pipes tonight.

Thanx for the help guys..
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

sOrrOw a "backfire" up through the intake is most commonly caused by using the throttle on startup.A well tuned engine should not require you to touch the accelerator pedal on startup - particularly cold.First thing to check is the ignition system particularly the rotor and cap.Ignition timing must also be close to spec.If you don't have solid ignition, fuel will build up during cranking and... boom.
You may as well attempt to straighten out the flapper but you have to get it such that there is absolutely no binding through its full range of movement.If that is not possible you can find a replacement AFM fairly easily and they're not too expensive. Given the explosive forces involved odds are pretty good that you've dislodged the rubber connectors between the plenum and the intake tubes so you better give those a close look as well.
1986-GTV6
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

Post by s0rr0w »

I dont need to use the pedal to start the car.Just a crank, and it starts..The backfire i got over the weekend, was while i was onening and closing the throttle with my hand, while looking if i could see something in the afm.Here's some clean pics. Ill try and find a replacement afm..

Thanx for all your help..
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (122.31 KiB) Viewed 10151 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (118.53 KiB) Viewed 10151 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (142.78 KiB) Viewed 10152 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (154.29 KiB) Viewed 10153 times
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

s0rr0w it looks good now.Before replacing it, have you tried opening the flap to see if it binds at any point of its travel ? It may still be usable.
1986-GTV6
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Does your car start and idle?
If so,is it firing on all cylinders?
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

Post by s0rr0w »

The flap has smooth movement, all the way from closed to open.
Cleaned the whole thing, all the tracks and contacts inside the afm aswell..
The flap noise seems to be almost gone now. :)

The car usually started first time, just by turning the key..
Only started on the fifth turn this morning, lots of smoke out the tail pipe.
I also noticed some petrol coming out the little rubber pipes that sit above the injectors.

I changd the petrol filter a while back, do you guys think that it could be a dud ?
Attachments
0001.jpg
0001.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 9998 times