IAN TT
Silver
Silver

2.5 Litre Pistons

Post by IAN TT »

I am building a 2.5 litre full house performance motor for motorsport. I want to fit high compression pistons but the motor must run on pump fuel (98 ron)as this will be a rally car.

What compression should the pistons be?
What is the best brand of pistons to use?
Who sells them?

What sort of horse power will I get out of a 2.5 litre using 'rally cams', not wild track cams?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

You might want to contact Vick Autosports. They run a 2.5 GTV6 race car. It has about 185hp at the wheels with their own design cams which they sell, about 10.5:1 compression, head work and SDS fuel injection.

Greg
IAN TT
Silver
Silver

Post by IAN TT »

I looked at their website. Their catalogue doesn't list any high comp pistons for the 2.5 but I have sent them an email anyway. Any other suppliers? Or would some of those motorbike pistons everyone talks about be suitable?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Vick is pretty bad about having the stuff they actually have in the catalog. You just have to call them and talk to Csaba as he built the car. They actually had a batch of cams made to the exact max allowable spec for the series they race in. They are "race cams" but by race standards they are pretty mild, should be great on a stree/track car. I am very impressed with the power they got without going crazy with compression, cams, headers etc. It's all fairly mellow stuff.

Greg
IAN TT
Silver
Silver

Post by IAN TT »

Vick Autosports got back to me very promptly which was pretty impressive. They use 10.1 89mm pistons in their race car but I have to use 88mm pistons which they don't have.

Anyone got any other sources for these items.

Ian
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Have you tried Beninca? They use ROSS pistons I think.

Paulspruell.com has 10:1 pistons for the 2.5 V6.

What I would look into is a set of quality rods and lightweight pistons.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I would call Vick and say "look, I know you guys have those pistons made to order, so get me a set in my desired bore size!" It usually helps to talk to Csaba.
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Post by scott.venables »

What about Vin Sharp of PACE Engineering in Park Orchards??
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

spruell can even get you 11:1 if you want them
v
IAN TT
Silver
Silver

Post by IAN TT »

I have talked to Vin at Pace and to Benincas. They can get pistons made for me but they have a lead time of over two months so I thought that other sources might be quicker and just as good quality.

Ian
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Check out my specs mate.

In the time you wait for pistons, you will have plenty of balancing, forging, lightening, porting, and other shit to do.

I was lucky, and just had the thing rebuilt and fit up :D
Fixing it bit by bit....
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

I have got stuff from Paul Spreull a couple of times. Great selection. Heaps of knowledge.
gday
Silver
Silver

Post by gday »

Maybe you should try calling Venolia directly. I would think they have some standard piston designs on file for the 2.5l. I had a set of pistons made for a 2l fiat a few years ago, and they were very helpfull.