PERFORMANCE CONN RODS

Post by mjr »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THS-Alfa-Romeo-V6 ... dZViewItem

Worth the cash? :?: seems expensive to me
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

These could possibly come from the same manufacturer of Eagle rods. Try to find some pictures of Eagle con rods. They are made in China but are still good. From what JimK said, the cost for these kind rods are cheap to make, but the retail price is about 5-6X higher due to lots of middleman.

But if you are going for a 7K rpm NA engine, new stock balanced rods should be plenty. Maybe shot peened.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

They are the rods all right! They are made in the same place as Eagles. I ran all kinds of tests on the prototypes (surface and core hardness, microsectioning for grain checks, x-rays for inclusions/voids etc) They are STRONG and are supplied with ARP 2000 3/8"bolts. I think the price is very good compared to the alternatives...for example in France, new std GTA rods cost ~700€ and here they are 600€ which is in the same ballpark as these! Complete weight with bolts is 590gr and variation in a set is less than 1gr (that was the resolution of the balance I used for this, I will repeat with a high accuracy one). Std GTA items weigh 622gr as sold and 603gr modified. Suffice it to say at this point that they are 24% stronger at their weakest point than GTA rods.
For me, the rod subject is over, I'm going to be working on a new 3liter piston shape now plus something else we're all looking for (I'll let you know if/when this last one works out).
Jim K.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

hmm, So although A very high mark up on retail prices, they are still a good price and specification by the soundsof it. I had thaught about balancing the standard rods and shot peening, for about 7000 rpm but that will cost me about 300 euro anyway, plus buying new rods. These are rated to 8000.

I might just have a set............ pistons next!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Yeah, stock rods, here in the US are going to cost you about US$1000 anyway + labor to shot peen etc. Carillo rods are US$300+ each. So in terms of pricing, this might be the way to go!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

How do you get the max rpm capability? We've heard gta rods have done almost 8k and I have info on V6 Carrillos doing over 9500 without breaking(!!!)
The 12v engine has rocker shaft flex problems at more than ~8000...I'd also like to see someone build a 2.5 or 3liter engine 12v head that breathes efficiently at that rpm! If we get real, our needs are for up to ~7600 for the 12v engine and up to ~7800 with the 24v, unless you're after some championship and want to rebuild the thing every 3-5 race hours! Where new forged steel rods excell is fatigue life, way better than the std items when used real hard and not something easily measured (There is a special jig for rod fatigue testing but life is too short for that sort of thing).
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

JimK,

I was told by Richard Jemison who raced a (GT3?? or... GT2???) GTV6 3.0 in SCCA that there is a difference between late model V6 rockers and older ones. Not sure which year they were changed. The late model ones are stronger and can withstand more aggressive lobe ramp...and possibly higher rpm. Any more info on this?

Although realistically speaking, I'm not too concerned about it as 7K is tops for the type of head, cams etc I use or will be using.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

Jimgreek, have to agree there. 7000 is plenty enough and realistic for fast road and some track and probably reasonably reliable, and 6500-7000 is what I am looking at with this spare engine. As you say, I find it hard to visualise how the 12v 2.5 or 3.0 heads could breathe past 8000rpm, maybe you would have to seriously port the heads, with huge valves and cam duration, and run some sort of open trumpet intake, with a custom plenum and scoop??? The lack of valves would be a problem!. having said that these engines have been up to that sort of rpm, as 80's touring cars proved, but they broke a lot!

But seriously, I think it could be done with a 24Valve, afterall F1 are only allowed 4 valves per cylinder!! :D

I would love to have the cash to build a light weight absolute screamer 3.0 24v turbo, 9000 rpm!. Imagine that!, into late eighties williams and benneton territory 8)
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hi Z, they changed the ex.rockers (effective date of change Dec.'89) from p/n 60507484 to 60513039. I will check Saturday about the differences. I have a gtv6 item and will compare it with one from the 164QV engine I have in the Alfa shop. The above change date means all rockers on US soil are early type so you guys 'will have to quit at 7400rpm, heheh! :lol:
One little thing about the rod ad on ebay: it should say: "fits all Alfa V6 engines ever made".
Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

hmmm now they just need to start making them for alfa 4 bangers 8)
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Maurizio wrote:hmmm now they just need to start making them for alfa 4 bangers 8)
I got a set like that. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Maurizio wrote:
hmmm now they just need to start making them for alfa 4 bangers Cool

I got a set like that. Wink
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

You two?

I meant that I already have a set of the requested rods. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

No, I need 4 :lol:

Ok, what part/car fits the alfa 4 (156 mm TS or 157 mm Nord could be used).
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

4 sets? Really?

Well, mine were made to fit the AR 2000 Nord. Offset bearing and all.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!