jrreeve
Gold
Gold

No start...

Post by jrreeve »

Hey,
Seem to be having a problem starting my GTV-6. I crank it and it turns over but doesn't catch. If I pull the intake boot after cranking it a little bit I will get fuel dump right out of the throttle assembly. It seems like my engine is flooding. I have pulled the plugs and they are wet with fuel. I have disconnected the cold start injector and tried starting it that way. It turns over more but still doesn't catch. I can wait 2 hours or 2 days and still have no luck! How do I get this thing started and how do I keep this from happening again? Is this a bad cold-start injector or something more sinister? Very Frustrating!

Thanks!
Rob
'84 GTV6
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Rob first thing to check is ignition.Remove a plug wire install a dry spark plug and ground it.Have someone turn the engine over and ensure that there is a good "snap"across the plug.If you have a timing light even better,check for good pulsing light from the ignition leads.Next step if ignition checks out ,check your timing belt.Put cylinder No.1 at TDC compression stoke and remove the two plastic disc caps at the top of the timing belt covers.Verify that the marks on the cam drive pulleys line up with the plastic pointers in the belt cover openings.While your at this point remove the distributor cap and ensure that the rotor is pointing at the line embossed in the metal body of the distributor (roughly pointing towards cyl#1).If none of these steps identify a problem come back on the board and we'll go further.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

It runs!!!!

Clamped pulled the cold start valve wire, changed the plugs and sprayed a little starting fluid and she fired right up!!!! Running great now! Thanks for all the help

Rob