x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

IAP headers just received:

look well built, nice smoothing on flange where it meets the pipes...

pipes are not all exactly equal in length, but I just want good fit for now..

Unfortunately, these are painted steel, not stainless.......but for 600$, who really cares

and they come with the down pipes

size:....1.5" primary ID at head flange...2" downpipe flange through the flex joints and then 1 3/4 stub to cats

O2 bung already welded in on one side..
Attachments
IMG_2624.jpg
IMG_2624.jpg (91.15 KiB) Viewed 7739 times
IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2623.jpg (117.2 KiB) Viewed 7739 times
IMG_2622.jpg
IMG_2622.jpg (124.21 KiB) Viewed 7739 times
Last edited by x-rad on Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

anybody ever 'prime' the engine by turning the oil pump pulley with a drill/socket (just before tensioning the belt) and doing the first startup??
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

x-rad wrote:anybody ever 'prime' the engine by turning the oil pump pulley with a drill/socket (just before tensioning the belt) and doing the first startup??
I remember when I had just joined this forum I posted a pic of a tool Id made for this operation...and was subsequently laughed off..

How the wheel has turned..here we are back at the same thing...
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I think it's a commonly done thing with Mopars.....to the point that there are tools made (by tool manufacturers for retail sale) to go into the drill motor to drive the oil pump (in that application a hex shaft long enough to stick out the top of block that has the end turned down for the drill)

Barry, sell your tool to a manufacurer....Lisle (sp?) comes to mind. they make lots of tools that were thought up by mechanics tring to make the work go faster and easier.

Scott
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Personally I wouldn't handle Bazza's tool even with gloves on... :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I think I will give it a try..just a 13mm socket on a drill should work, and I can leave the dizzy in place

....at least I can fill the crank and send some around the galleys
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Did a little more today...got one head all finished and shimmed.

pics:
Attachments
Reinz gasket..a thing of beauty.. i cleaned the metal mating surfaces of head and block and liners w/acetone to remove and dirt/grease/oil
Reinz gasket..a thing of beauty.. i cleaned the metal mating surfaces of head and block and liners w/acetone to remove and dirt/grease/oil
IMG_2629.JPG (129.14 KiB) Viewed 7591 times
close-up of rubber ring (supplied w/gasket) all holes line up
close-up of rubber ring (supplied w/gasket) all holes line up
IMG_2630.JPG (77.08 KiB) Viewed 7591 times
before putting head on, I put a little aluminum antisieze in head stud holes.  put it in holes rather than on studs and it will not build up on head surface as u slide the head on. Clean up any extra...
before putting head on, I put a little aluminum antisieze in head stud holes. put it in holes rather than on studs and it will not build up on head surface as u slide the head on. Clean up any extra...
IMG_2628.JPG (104.08 KiB) Viewed 7592 times
cheap Harbor Freight engine stand..I don't want to stress the block or the stand...so for extra support when heads are on, I use this setup
cheap Harbor Freight engine stand..I don't want to stress the block or the stand...so for extra support when heads are on, I use this setup
IMG_2631.JPG (116.72 KiB) Viewed 7592 times
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

x,
where did you get your gaskets (esp. head gaskets)?
Thanks,
scott
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Looks pretty! Did you ever identify the defect with the old block?
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Scott:
Gaskets from Centerline. Be prepared...the set of Reinz head gaskets alone were about 150+$

Ceneterline also sells the Guarnit auto 'complete' gasket set for about 250?...but you need to be sure that the right lower pan gaskets and spark well seals are included. The plus side of the complete gasket set is that it comes with all the little seals like the liner O -rings, exhaust copper gaskets (but i don't remember seeing injector seals)

Actually, I think you can get better quality oil seals and valve guide seals if you buy those seperately from IAP

I think Centerline will substitute Reinz head gaskets for the difference in price

Jes:
Thanks!

Never took the old one apart yet...it's still in the car...I need to hook up the old Bosch wiring so I know that I can get the old engine started...and then switch it out for the new engine and break that one in.

Then comes haltech tuning on the new engine....
x-rad
Verde
Verde

a bad day...

Post by x-rad »

NOTE: anyone making my alternator suggestion change READ THIS: you don't have to grind the front of 90 amp BMW alternator to get it to fit. Just drill out as described in earlier post. I had a bent mount which I did not notice at first. Fits perfectly with no grinding. If you did grind it, just make up the ground area with a few washers....

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY:Not my typically good day in the shop...

Cleaned some parts in the dishwasher..bad idea once the wife found out!!

Got hit in the head with spring retainer..

stupid little washer fell into alternator(which was already mounted) and got stuck....

Tried warming up a rubber gasket in the microwave, got distracted, and then there was this big fire thing (bad idea once the wife found out)

Got the engine all set up and since the lower pan has been put on, there is a slight knock ( I am thinking to just forget about it)
Attachments
almost finished
almost finished
IMG_2640.JPG (119.34 KiB) Viewed 7520 times
somebody say FIRE?? wife picked out the new microwave today...
somebody say FIRE?? wife picked out the new microwave today...
IMG_2636.JPG (91.28 KiB) Viewed 7521 times
if you look closely, you will see the oil ring between my eyebrows (retainer hit at full force but on the flat side!) Don't ask how it happened...
if you look closely, you will see the oil ring between my eyebrows (retainer hit at full force but on the flat side!) Don't ask how it happened...
IMG_2634.JPG (83.78 KiB) Viewed 7520 times
stupid washer, what are the chances it would end up here???
stupid washer, what are the chances it would end up here???
IMG_2637.JPG (105.22 KiB) Viewed 7520 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Gino Pepperoni,

You got a part time job in the circus right? :D
Attachments
On the job.jpg
On the job.jpg (35.48 KiB) Viewed 7504 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

thanks for kicking a guy when he is down :cry:

i took the pan off and rechecked all bolts for proper torque...all fine on lower end

I think it's a loose wrist pin because I remember one piston pin being very slightly loose (it was the one that smacked the valves in the engine out of which I got parts....I knew it but did not want to spend the money for another Venolia piston or rebush the rod (oops)....let's see what happens....
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

pics:

Header wrap to keep things a little cooler..this is DEI wrap..kinda hardens in place after first run

I soak it in water first to loosed the fibers, then stretch it tight when wrapping...dries tight

had to grind a little off the block where the collector came down too close...

also had to grind a flat spot in one weld for a nut..other than that header fit very well..
Attachments
IMG_2642.JPG
IMG_2642.JPG (105.07 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
IMG_2645.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG (91.56 KiB) Viewed 7487 times
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

x,
Thanks for the direction on the gaskets....had been looking so i knew they were pricy.

on the headers.....now that you have them on and wraped.......the high temp coatings used by Jet-Hot and Capps really work well. ( I live about 10 miles from capps). That coating is NOT a powder coat, its more like paint. I found it once on the web from the folks that supply capps and jet hot. try this http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Exhaust.htm

hope that helps
scott