x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

OK... I am happy again! Man..this GTV6 makes me manic /depressive..like a girlfriend you always fight with but is great in the sack!

THANKS to DEAN R. at Trail Auto

http://www.trailalfa.com/

He had one. I took the Alfa off ebay today. Not for sale anymore. Sorry to disappoint anyone. I just really like the car too much and I have too much time invested. Plus no one bid.....luckily.

New nylon filter pops right out and will be saved.

MORE TIPS: I forgot to mention that after smoothing the copper rings on the stone, they have to be annealed. I just use a MAP gas torch and guesstimate ~800C (copper glows red). Don't melt the ring, they are hard to find!!

This allows the copper to move into a semi fluid state in which the crystalline dislocations(from prior compression) can once again line up. In other words, makes it soft again and good for gasket work.

Let it cool down slow, but clean off the oxidation before using with emory cloth. A little TFE or PTFE will seal the rest.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME THROUGH THIS DIFFICULT TIME (ESPECIALLY 2ZIG AND GG AND CHRIS FROM NEW YORK) :D :D :D
Attachments
tank filter.JPG
tank filter.JPG (80.22 KiB) Viewed 11362 times
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

I'm happy your keeping your Alfa :D , I hate to see people selling their Alfas :x ,(unless it's to me of course) :D
Drive'm Hard
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Great to hear she stays with you, especially after so much effort you have put into her :)
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Thanks! ....and this time I mean it!!
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

:D ... you've certainly lasted through a pretty rough patch! I keep wondering just how long I plan to keep mine, there have been many times in the past where I just wanted to shoot it - then it gets fixed :)

Even this past year I've been close to listing mine to sell for different reasons, but in the end it is such an enjoyable car to drive I still can't let it go :D

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I know what you mean GregV. It is an easy car to work on and much fun to drive, but I have also an emotional attachment to this vehicle which is probably why I keep it.

It is funny, but I tell my wife I 'love' working on it and driving it. She says 'you can't love a "thing"' Then she says she 'hates it!!'

I say you can't hate a "thing!!" ....probably not the right thing to say :P

She was so pissed at me for working on that gas tank again and the fume smell that she slapped the rear deck glass with a shovel (full sized garden shovel) with a good swing. Luckily not with the shovel edge!!

well, I guess you can 'hate a "thing"' after all.....

Little side story: My first picnic date with my wife before we got married.

So we hop in the Alfa and go for a nice drive in the park. Real beautiful 15 mile drive along a river. Perfect day. Sunroof and windows wide open. I had just finished my first engine rebuild about 100 miles earlier and I was sure that my Alfa was ready for a cruise. Everything great until about half-way back.

Engine seems fine, car smooth...but my wife was looking in the rear view mirror and say "Is 'your' car supposed to smoke like that?!?!?"

I look back and there is this huge cloud of vapor steam behind us with other cars ducking around it.

Oh shit......

Turns out to be the first of two left side blown head gaskets. And so the saga of my wife not liking the Alfa began. The Alfa is like the ex girlfriend I just can't forget and I don't think she likes that very much...

oh well. Now I have this one and the 968 for her to "hate." At least the German should run a little better......
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

My cars have tended toward the female side.

My Barracuda bruises my wife every time she gets in it.

The MGBGT doesn't want to start when my wife gets in.

The Alfa requires "attention" after my wife has had a ride that is anything other than showing off my latest improvements.

So, yeah, there are some odd attachments when it comes to cars.

Scott
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Alfa's must get jealous :D :D :D
Attachments
IMG_2936.JPG
IMG_2936.JPG (76.33 KiB) Viewed 11158 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Put in new aluminum bung two days ago, and the annealed washers, and a touch of TFE. all seemd good until last night. With 10 gallons in, had a nice slow drip from the bung. Well that's it. I ordered a new tank. 15 gallon from RCI with angled inlet for filler hose. Will run braided line down to pump and for retur to tank.

Tank includes sender which operates at 0-90 ohms. Anyone know what stock alfa tank sender is???

I will have to weld up a frame to mount this on. It will still be covered by the carpet ...and the spare tire front edge will just have to slide a little under the tank mount.
Attachments
RCI tank.  The one i am getting is 30 x 12 depthx 9 height (inches) Plenty of room at top for filler hose.  All fitting are -8ArmyNavy. Top hole so hopefully no bottom leak!!!!
RCI tank. The one i am getting is 30 x 12 depthx 9 height (inches) Plenty of room at top for filler hose. All fitting are -8ArmyNavy. Top hole so hopefully no bottom leak!!!!
fuel cell.jpg (13.45 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Ha!

and this just after I got your old fitting in the mail!

You should (I think) be able to get the crush washers from a good auto parts store....one that still knows how to read a book. Otherwise, try an industrial supply house or bearing house.

Scott
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

you car looks sweet.
Don't cover that nice tank with carpet :)
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

another good one in my Alfa saga...

wife backed into the left rear quarter with her 4runner and dented the Alfa pretty badly ( involving the complex angles of the sheet metal).

I'm just a 'little' pissed right now....... :evil:

She says it was an 'accident.....'
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Happy time again...

Got the new tank and fittings and hose from Summit Racing. They are super fast at shipping and always get my order right. They were out of Goodyear filler hose (2 inch fits everything..tank filler and Alfa nozzle neck)...so I had to order from Parst America..they said 2-3 days on line but looks more like 7-8.

Enjoy the pic, the tank is very well made for the price, but I don't see any baffles from the inlet. All parts cost me about 450$

BUT: RCI/Summit states part RCI-7036B is 2" angled aluminum filler neck...It's NOT. It's a 1.75INCH Steel neck. Close but no cigar! Should be able to make it work.
Attachments
oooooo....   aaaahhhhh....
oooooo.... aaaahhhhh....
IMG_2937.JPG (106.9 KiB) Viewed 10961 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Followup:

sold the Alfa and all spares (literally a truckfull) to another crazy Italian Alfa nut out of western NY state in December. Still miss her.....
xrad
Verde
Verde

Re: engine tear down

Post by xrad »

Update: This engine is still running strong with many track days! :D

Unfortunately, not with me anymore... :(

I am down to one Alfa, an Alfetta in the midst of a turbo conversion....engine almost done...
build somewhere on alfabb:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta ... fetta.html

lots of good info..turbo build starts around page 16 or so...

I love this site, no stupid commercials...quick refresh. I think I may come back for the end of the build....