Verde

Post by x-rad »

good news, Scott!! :D :D

Hopefully, i will have some soon too!
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Now i'm pissed...It seems that I did not phase the rotor wrong...If I had looked more closely...I would have noticed that the dog teeth (which are slightly eccentric) at the bottom of the rotor shaft were pinned 180 degress differently on my two different rotors!!!

Started Frankenstein junior transplant today as I have checked every wire and connection and can't find the problem...

I went out for a ride and got about 5 miles from my house when a big puff of grey white smoke came out the ass of the alfa...

I limped back home and started the engine transplant. At least if the new engine runs badly..the problem will probably be wiring and I will tear out the old harness and rewire everything....
Attachments
dog teeth on rotor..not all are placed the same as i have found out... by the way, these are great gloves called MaxiFoam..thin foam coat over woven mesh...really nice grip and thin enough to feel, but very strong and last a long time, never tear
dog teeth on rotor..not all are placed the same as i have found out... by the way, these are great gloves called MaxiFoam..thin foam coat over woven mesh...really nice grip and thin enough to feel, but very strong and last a long time, never tear
Picture 001.jpg (90.04 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
tried the crane again, looses power at high rpms...so unfortunately, like someone already stated, not enough advance using vac only...
tried the crane again, looses power at high rpms...so unfortunately, like someone already stated, not enough advance using vac only...
Picture 002.jpg (124.49 KiB) Viewed 8968 times
Frankenstein Jr. almost ready for dissection...
Frankenstein Jr. almost ready for dissection...
Picture 003.jpg (103.4 KiB) Viewed 8969 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I found another suspect last week on a friends car on the fuel relay power supply. It was intermittent . Once you have installed new motor(if problem persists) connect a small globe into the red cable to the fuel relay.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Thanks, Kevin
I think it is electrical but just only happens with the right motion or vibration

Feul pump relay is new , but i will check the wiring as you say..
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

enigine went in fine today...

had a little trouble with the right headder once the starter was in....had to pull out Mr. 5 pounder...and then of course the flanges did not meet the head correctly...so out comes Mr 5 pounder again...and now all is well....

Doubled up on the headder wrap cause now the starter heat shield does not fit...

should be well protected....
Attachments
easy to tilt engine with front strap...just lower and slide back and lower until on the mounts
easy to tilt engine with front strap...just lower and slide back and lower until on the mounts
IMG_2787.JPG (108.46 KiB) Viewed 8882 times
New header flanges soooo easy to reach...
New header flanges soooo easy to reach...
IMG_2786.JPG (132.53 KiB) Viewed 8882 times
little snug but there is an air gap and double-triple wrap...
little snug but there is an air gap and double-triple wrap...
IMG_2785.JPG (122.77 KiB) Viewed 8881 times
all set to swap out..
all set to swap out..
IMG_2780.JPG (118.63 KiB) Viewed 8883 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

more tips...
Attachments
turn crank or align pinch bolt facing bell housing opening so it's easy to tighten later
turn crank or align pinch bolt facing bell housing opening so it's easy to tighten later
IMG_2784.JPG (123.11 KiB) Viewed 8882 times
if you notice your flywheel bolts have two types of spacer/washers...two holes are closer together so flywheel can only go on one way
if you notice your flywheel bolts have two types of spacer/washers...two holes are closer together so flywheel can only go on one way
IMG_2781.JPG (165.11 KiB) Viewed 8880 times
two of the crank holes are closer together so you can't screw up flywheel mounting
two of the crank holes are closer together so you can't screw up flywheel mounting
IMG_2782.JPG (128.61 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Ok...so apparently...you have to have the thermo time switch hooked up otherwise you flood the engine for 30 minutes...

once thermotime switch hooked up, engine fired right up!!! :D :D :D

But, that was only after realizing that only two out of six injectors were firing...not because of bad wiring..these were a spare set I THOUGHT would work....but after sitting around for 15 yrs with no fuel, they were stuck shut

so my set of brand new injectors went in and man, this engine just revs away...

settled the driveshaft in and will tighten everything up tomorrow

it was a good day in the shop topped of with a nice rotisserie chicken my wife cooked up on the grill..mmmmmm :D :D
Last edited by x-rad on Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

broke her in today...wife was jussssst a little upset about the header wrap smoke...

ran great, but i still have a power surge back and forth, in other words, engine will not hold rpm steady at any rpm level..

don't have idle as low as i want but that will come.

Oil pressure excellent at about 75lb to start, now down to 55-66 at 2500rpm

No leaks. Heat shield was rubbing shifter but bent easily out of the way..

They don't have inspections in this state so no cats...man it sounds like steel bearing ripping around a steal drum when you rev it...(not in a bad way)

No smoke, no antifreeze out the ass pipe...which is good

road max cams and 10.5-1 comp pistons are pretty steady at low rpms...but just touch the throttle and whooosh

Forged alloy piston don't knock at all...

And the 90 amp alternator makes the lights all real BRIGHT..and no more 'alt' light at low rpms

I do need to get a new heavy duty high amp battery though...my old one is original to the car (which means 5yrs+) and it is kinda low power to begin with...
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Video please...

I'm very jealous of your budjet rebuild. I think I'm going to have to pay list price for everything when I rebuild.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Grant: if you forget the carillo(or equal) rods and the C/B cams..you can save a huge amount...for the parts and for the head labor, too.

will try to get some audio/vid up tomorrow
x-rad
Verde
Verde

audio/video

Post by x-rad »

AUDIO/VIDEO TIME:

got some real short vids of ass end with some good sound....wife as not really pleased to rev the engine...but she did it...and i am happy :D

not revved over 4G yet..but sounds awsome...can idle at 800 rpm at the lowest..whole car kinda rocks side to side..

sounds like a top fuel dragster ..minus 2 cylinders and 10,000hp..

Idle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fptp59qQHEs

Rev: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvPQ1ZCNOgM
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

:D

Job well done.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Sounds great! I bet you can't wait to get it on the road!

ROCK ON
R~R
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

thanks guys!!

this weekend..road test...
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Congrats with successful surgery! Video test drive.
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)