Mats,
You have no idea...... :shock:

or clue, evidently :roll:
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Just got me Haltech today... :D

Going to set it up with regular 3.0 in the car and get some base maps before putting in the new 3.0 for breakin....
Attachments
f10x with flying lead
f10x with flying lead
IMG_2334.JPG (127.46 KiB) Viewed 8580 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Halwin 3D injector map baseline:
Attachments
IMG_2335.JPG
IMG_2335.JPG (99.53 KiB) Viewed 8540 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Here are some tips for those of you new to rebuilding Alfa v6's. Do everything at your own risk..and I am sure there are other better as well as worse ways to do this.

First: clean everything as best you can BEFORE taking apart.

work on a clean surface..I like plywood with a towel cushion under the metal parts...

Photos are not really in order.

Bag all parts and lable to make rebuilding easier. HAve you new parts ready so things don't sit around and rust..
Attachments
carillo rods and venolia pistons almost ready to go back in
carillo rods and venolia pistons almost ready to go back in
IMG_2342.JPG (205.86 KiB) Viewed 8512 times
22mm socket pins the crank making crank nut removal easy
22mm socket pins the crank making crank nut removal easy
IMG_2345.JPG (113.83 KiB) Viewed 8512 times
seal prying tool..be sure you don't gouge the aluminum housing..pry top down so if you make a gouge, it is less likely to leak
seal prying tool..be sure you don't gouge the aluminum housing..pry top down so if you make a gouge, it is less likely to leak
IMG_2346.JPG (105.46 KiB) Viewed 8512 times
Crank  polished only with gentle counter rotation and back in with new standard bearings.
Crank polished only with gentle counter rotation and back in with new standard bearings.
IMG_2348.JPG (145.86 KiB) Viewed 8511 times
pry off screen and realy get at the dirt in the oil pump..and then put screen back on
pry off screen and realy get at the dirt in the oil pump..and then put screen back on
IMG_2350.JPG (58.27 KiB) Viewed 8512 times
Last edited by x-rad on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

More stuff:

tomorrow..will take heads down to local shop to see about putting in new valve guides and smoothing head surface (minimal as needed)
Attachments
make sure the tool bolts are long enough to get a wrench behing it so you can remove pully bolt, too.
make sure the tool bolts are long enough to get a wrench behing it so you can remove pully bolt, too.
IMG_2344.JPG (112.72 KiB) Viewed 8509 times
made this tool for timing gear removal
made this tool for timing gear removal
IMG_2343.JPG (131.19 KiB) Viewed 8508 times
bore guage (KD tools) and cen-tech guess'o'matic slide guage. Bores all on tight side of Cylinder "B" diameters..these were the best 6 out of 12
bore guage (KD tools) and cen-tech guess'o'matic slide guage. Bores all on tight side of Cylinder "B" diameters..these were the best 6 out of 12
IMG_2340.JPG (91.92 KiB) Viewed 8508 times
as i work, i like to coat the metal parts with this stuff..it is kinda thick and sprays on...not for bearings...but keeps rust away.
as i work, i like to coat the metal parts with this stuff..it is kinda thick and sprays on...not for bearings...but keeps rust away.
IMG_2341.JPG (94.38 KiB) Viewed 8510 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

more stuff....

I like to work rear to front starting at #3 cylinder....rod shoulders face front only for three out of six cylinders
Attachments
liners and pistons all in
liners and pistons all in
IMG_2361.JPG (124.3 KiB) Viewed 8470 times
home made liner hold down tool
home made liner hold down tool
IMG_2358.JPG (142.2 KiB) Viewed 8472 times
320 grit hone done on bench before replacing liners
320 grit hone done on bench before replacing liners
IMG_2356.JPG (138.5 KiB) Viewed 8471 times
make sure liner seal in not twisted/rolled
make sure liner seal in not twisted/rolled
IMG_2359.JPG (80.83 KiB) Viewed 8470 times
pistons almost ready to go in w/hastings rings
pistons almost ready to go in w/hastings rings
IMG_2355.JPG (152.57 KiB) Viewed 8472 times
Last edited by x-rad on Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

more...

The heads are off to a guy who has a pretty decent back yard shop. All he does is head work and was head machinist at one time for Ford research division. Seams like the guy to go to....

I had a spare 2.5 head for him to practice on and he was going to machine up a driving tool/mandrel for the valve guides.

Also, guides neede to be machined down a little further receive the valve guide seal better. All I could get were the standard IAP/Centerline valve guides and the teflon seal sat a little too tall. Also, we will machine down the inner guide of the lower valve spring seat washer and sink the valve guide about two mm further down on the intake side. This will allow clearance for the high lift cam...

Next rebuild will use standard American valves and guides and seats, just cut to length...much cheaper and easier to get..and everybody has the tools to work on them around here...
Attachments
bottom end..
bottom end..
IMG_2357.JPG (153.42 KiB) Viewed 8469 times
Federal Mogul makes a realy thick stick lube for engine assembly..not a grease..but stays in place well..easy to work with.
Federal Mogul makes a realy thick stick lube for engine assembly..not a grease..but stays in place well..easy to work with.
IMG_2360.JPG (94.46 KiB) Viewed 8468 times
Don't forget to measure cam clearance BEFORE taking apart..
Don't forget to measure cam clearance BEFORE taking apart..
IMG_2347.JPG (161.19 KiB) Viewed 8468 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Here is something interesting:

Three variations of head gaskets not including the original three ring circus. The 'copper' coated one came off easily as did the black one. The Guarnit auto ones (middle) always stick and are a pain in the ass to get off..

I don't know who makes the others, but I think the black one is Reinz

I would like to get my hands on a set of the copper or the Reinz so if anyone knows where..let me know
Attachments
gasket.JPG
gasket.JPG (145.55 KiB) Viewed 8463 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Build up..

I use a very fine flat file to clean the faces of the block and covers, followed by a light sanding with 400 grit..clean out all the little pieces with aluminum carb cleaner and air gun dry

Some gasket material will dissolve aluminum over time. I use permatex orange and have not hand any erosion issues

somebody already did some work on this block as tensioner oil galley is blocked off...

for replacement bolts..best bet is to buy an assorment of 8.8 metrics..can be found at Autozone for pretty cheap
Attachments
bag it to keep everything out
bag it to keep everything out
IMG_2394.JPG (82.99 KiB) Viewed 8405 times
finished front covers and new pump<br /><br />TIP: drive the seal onto the cover BEFORE putting the cover on
finished front covers and new pump

TIP: drive the seal onto the cover BEFORE putting the cover on
IMG_2393.JPG (90.48 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
10mm ratchet wrench makes behind pump bolts easy to do
10mm ratchet wrench makes behind pump bolts easy to do
IMG_2390.JPG (87.71 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
very thin layer permatex on both sides of gasket..never had a leak
very thin layer permatex on both sides of gasket..never had a leak
IMG_2386.JPG (111.59 KiB) Viewed 8406 times
shouldered bolts (8.8), stainless washers, and antiseize aluminum
shouldered bolts (8.8), stainless washers, and antiseize aluminum
IMG_2385.JPG (79.63 KiB) Viewed 8404 times
Last edited by x-rad on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Haltech stuff

Post by x-rad »

Engine going together well..

Worked on some of the things needed for the Haltech. This included plugging unnecessary holes in the thermostat housing and tapping a new hole in intake manifold for air temp sensor. Basically, the Haltech is practically made for this engine (Bosch system) so that the throttle position sensor and H2O temp sensor fit in stock locations with little work.

Air temp sensor fits on passenger side of intake manifold in a 'blank' spot perfectly.....

Just need to make a small alu mounting plate for TPS...

HAltech hookup is pretty simple:...4 sensors...6 injectors....power ....ground...fan control...fuel pump control...O2 sensor

Just bought a bosch wideband O2 sensor for 60$ so will eventuall switch out older O2 sensor
Attachments
TPS fits throttle shaft, just have to make a small mounting plate...
TPS fits throttle shaft, just have to make a small mounting plate...
IMG_2396.JPG (112.23 KiB) Viewed 8342 times
fits like a glove...
fits like a glove...
IMG_2397.JPG (124.57 KiB) Viewed 8339 times
NPT tap for air temp sensor...
NPT tap for air temp sensor...
IMG_2395.JPG (61.01 KiB) Viewed 8338 times
Four sensors for HAltech: Air temp, engine water temp, 1 Bar Map, and TPS (these were off my old Haltech E6S)
Four sensors for HAltech: Air temp, engine water temp, 1 Bar Map, and TPS (these were off my old Haltech E6S)
IMG_2398.JPG (127.18 KiB) Viewed 8337 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Three of the four haltech sensors mounted.

Use the blank for the air temp sensor.

Use the cold start injector hole for vac to 1 bar map sensor and plug two screw holes.

Made plate for TPS from spare aluminum heat sink (the thing coil and ign unit were mounted to). Any 0-10K (or near)three wire pot will work.

Sensors are standard GM stuff from the late 90's. Don't be fooled by high priced Haltech stuff. Just bought a spare air temp and water temp sensor for 40$ with connectors. TPS sensor is a little different and I have not been able to find the same casing that they supply. Haltech TPS is about 65$.

So, most of the work is done on the intake manifold and it can all be easily reversed if you had to take the unit out for some reason.

I plan to leave the cold start air valve and hoses in place. Haltech will allow cold start enrichment so no need for cold start injector.
Attachments
IMG_2407.JPG
IMG_2407.JPG (66.94 KiB) Viewed 8291 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Tired of that wimpy 60 amp alternator? Here is BMW 90 amp conversion:

Get yourself a late 80's BMW alternator (like for the 325: Bosch # 0 120 469 777 14v/90a) These can be had rebuilt for about 90$. Get a rebuilt one because it will cost you about 60$ in bearings, copper rings, and regulator...plus it has already been tested...

anyway, conversion is simple. You can do it your own way too.

I used 1/2 inch drill bit as big bolts are easy to get in 1/2 inch. Drill lower alt. mount all the way through at 1/2inch. then grind off front aluminum spacer on front of alt. housing until flush with rest of housing face.

Cut off spacer on Alfa alt. mount as in the pics...or you can cut less off. I did it this way so I can use other alternators and not have to re-cut the mount.

I used steel pipe as a new spacer and a washer to take up any play.

Distance from center radius of belt pulley now lines up with center radius of crank pulley. Wiring is the same...one to batt and one to alt light (B+ and D+). Bosch alts come with easy to exchange volt regulators on back...however, as far as I know, you can't easily make a 60 amp alt into a 90 amp alt. Also uses a 2.2 uFd 100v cap on back..another easy change if needed...

Enjoy 90 amps and lights that don't fade.....
Attachments
all done...except for grinding top mount flush
all done...except for grinding top mount flush
IMG_2411.JPG (104.18 KiB) Viewed 8281 times
mount almost ready...after a little more filing
mount almost ready...after a little more filing
IMG_2409.JPG (111.33 KiB) Viewed 8281 times
cut longitudinal weld on back of spacer and cut outspacer...i used a sawsall w/metal blade for all cuts
cut longitudinal weld on back of spacer and cut outspacer...i used a sawsall w/metal blade for all cuts
IMG_2408.JPG (118.62 KiB) Viewed 8282 times
grind flush....
grind flush....
IMG_2414.JPG (124.66 KiB) Viewed 8280 times
drill all the way through with 1/2 in drill
drill all the way through with 1/2 in drill
IMG_2410.JPG (69 KiB) Viewed 8283 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

More tips:

I put the rear seal in before torquing the cap nuts all the way down. Makes it much easier. I also add a VERY thin layer of permatex around the outer edge of seal. Never had a leak back here with three rebuilds...
Attachments
Be sure larger con rod shoulder face oppositely for each cylinder pair (ex: 4 faces front, 1 faces rear)
Be sure larger con rod shoulder face oppositely for each cylinder pair (ex: 4 faces front, 1 faces rear)
IMG_2428.JPG (102.89 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
trim front crank case seal where it meets lower crank case
trim front crank case seal where it meets lower crank case
IMG_2427.JPG (88.08 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
cig seal placed with home made driver (just an aluminum tube with inner driving rod) use copper permatex a little dab in hole before driving...helps fill in little gaps...make sure air hole is patent in center of  cig seal before driving in
cig seal placed with home made driver (just an aluminum tube with inner driving rod) use copper permatex a little dab in hole before driving...helps fill in little gaps...make sure air hole is patent in center of cig seal before driving in
IMG_2429.JPG (105.88 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
Last edited by x-rad on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Haltech Install

Post by x-rad »

Ran harness through AC gasket on firewall..perfect fit
Attachments
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG (101.06 KiB) Viewed 8186 times
wires over engine will be used, others not needed for this project
wires over engine will be used, others not needed for this project
IMG_2436.JPG (160.19 KiB) Viewed 8186 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Haltech in...started right up.

The Hal'win' computer program VERY easy to use..you can open several maps at one time. Also, there is a guage face window which is real easy to check everything at a glance...

Running a 'little' rich right now.......