Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: a bad day...

Post by Mats »

x-rad wrote:if you look closely, you will see the oil ring between my eyebrows (retainer hit at full force but on the flat side!) Don't ask how it happened...
That caption with that pic must be the funniest I have read so far on this board... :D

Thanks!
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Not sure which is funnier - dishwasher, microwave or the pic. Wife heard me laughing so loud and had a look to see what i was reading. She has now banned me from going near the dishwasher but still got acces to microwave. I used to use her hairdryer to warm up the rubber hoses until I left loctite silicone on it.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

So by reading this board you have to do less work in the kitchen? :shock:

This is getting better and better. :)
I love cooking but I hate to do the washing up.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Kevin, Mats...glad to make you smile!!

2Zig...I have tried high temp coatings (ceramic) but I find that nothing works better than wrap at keeping heat down. header can be red hot and you can still touch the wraped part..

also, this stuff is pretty durable and flexable and cheap, had it last for more than three years on a set of stainless headers..it actually never loosened or broke...but i eventually changed the header..

trade off is increased pipe wall heat...
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

I can do whatever I want in MY kitchen. I don't get any more complaints about the cars or the jealous "you love your damn cars more than me I sometimes think" comments. Sold the wife. Cars are cheaper.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Re: a bad day...

Post by GregoryV »

And it wasn't Friday the 13th it was a Saturday ... might be time to shoot and burry her (the car) ... I've been tempted a few times over the years
:)

GV
x-rad wrote: BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY:Not my typically good day in the shop...

Cleaned some parts in the dishwasher..bad idea once the wife found out!!

Got hit in the head with spring retainer..

stupid little washer fell into alternator(which was already mounted) and got stuck....

Tried warming up a rubber gasket in the microwave, got distracted, and then there was this big fire thing (bad idea once the wife found out)

Got the engine all set up and since the lower pan has been put on, there is a slight knock ( I am thinking to just forget about it)
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

wrapping headers is an artform....
Attachments
IMG_2679.JPG
IMG_2679.JPG (90.84 KiB) Viewed 7548 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

discussion in other thread about soldering v. crimps...well...I decided to give crimps a try (so much easier, too!!) do I have enough??

on another note...engine all done and old Bosch system back in and working fine...still have that hesitation problem...will switch out engines next weekend...
Attachments
crimps v. solder....hmmmmm
crimps v. solder....hmmmmm
IMG_2687.JPG (108.86 KiB) Viewed 7506 times
new old engine ready to go...
new old engine ready to go...
IMG_2688.JPG (152.67 KiB) Viewed 7506 times
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

kevin wrote:Not sure which is funnier - dishwasher, microwave or the pic. Wife heard me laughing so loud and had a look to see what i was reading. She has now banned me from going near the dishwasher but still got acces to microwave. I used to use her hairdryer to warm up the rubber hoses until I left loctite silicone on it.
I've got a second dishwasher for a parts washer :D
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

found a connectivity problem at the power transistor...little wire from/to distributer at the power transistor was about to fall off....

fixed that and cleaned all corrosion out, changed out the fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs and checked spark wires...all OK.

engine starts up just fine and revs and idles perfectly, but when I take it on the road...sometimes runs fine for a gear or two, then has that major hesitation...like running on 4 out of 6 cylinders...but no back fire..no misfires..no smoke... no weird knocks or noises....and then it just kicks back in to full power.

I have no clue what is the problem. I don't think it is mechanical because it runs so strong when it is working fine

I don't think I will put the new engine in until I can figure this out...
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I think i've got the same kind of thing going on at the moment. It feels like there is a bad connection somewhere and depending on the bumps in the road, it changes power output.

in my case i just put in a larger AFM and the problem showed up. the first place i'm going to look is at the connector at the afm.

hth,
scott
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

replaced some of the harness wires and harness contacts, cleaned all fuses and relay contacts, found a metal washer jingling around on the top of fuse block...

and took it for a long ride on the highway.

nothing has changed...still have intermittent power loss at higher rpms
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

i found a suspect.... one of the female pins in the connector is buggered (on the afm). I'll be able to do more tommrrow
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

A little more investigation revealed my Crane setup to be incorrect....even after all my talk about phasing, i actually had the rotor 180 out, but it ran fine until higher rpms..???..??!!!

anyway, I also double checked fuel pressure regulator. Some posts describe raising fuel pressure. Looking at the regulator the other day told me that this thing does not acutally raise pressure under load. The design shows vac line going to end opposite the fuel return line. That can only mean that vac under increased rpms decreases regulator opening pressure by acting on the diaphram.

A little more investigation showed that this does in fact occur so that a more constant fuel / air mix happens when there is a vacuum (meaning less air) in the intake. makes sense!

So those of you wanting to increase fuel pressure will have to add a different type regulator.

If you already know this just ignore this post.....
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

found the problem.....fixing the buggered bosch pin didn't help. I had a spare throttle position switch on hand so I swapped that out.....now the car goes into 'happy mode' when I want it to.

scott