Opinions??
Attachments
DSC00023.JPG
DSC00023.JPG (138.83 KiB) Viewed 8530 times
DSC00024.JPG
DSC00024.JPG (136.28 KiB) Viewed 8530 times
DSC00022.JPG
DSC00022.JPG (142.8 KiB) Viewed 8531 times
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Ouch! Never seen that. Sheared teeth off before when cam seized on tt motor(bit of silicone stuck in passage). Cant be to much power for belt as Dawie ran the tt at high boost and no probs there. Delamination due to constant heat cycles(bad belt) ?
Out of interest maybe Ben or any other rocket scientists can calculate anyadditional shear from 184kw to 240kw. Might be a factor.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Could it be the way the belt is packed in the boxes and a weekness develops in one of those sharp bends as the outside is stressed far more(develops fine cracks like fuel pipe if bent passed the corect radius). Sorry clutching at straws
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

kevin wrote:Ouch! Never seen that. Sheared teeth off before when cam seized on tt motor(bit of silicone stuck in passage). Cant be to much power for belt as Dawie ran the tt at high boost and no probs there. De lamination due to constant heat cycles(bad belt) ?
Out of interest maybe Ben or any other rocket scientists can calculate any additional shear from 184kw to 240kw. Might be a factor.
Dont think so Kev.The engine output is not related here..To turn the cams takes so much and no more,does not matter if its 23hp or 500 hp produced.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I would be 100% confident in saying it is due to a lack of Tarzan's Grip.. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

poor rubber mix at factory = failure
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

x-rad wrote:poor rubber mix at factory = failure
Quality control would exclude this theory,Im sure..SPC (Statistical Process control) would pick a bad rubber mix up within 20 or so units.If the QC guy was on the ball,within 5 units as the operator would have noticed something.

Rubber mix is also tested in labs before approved for production.

Tarzan Grip Mike?? :D
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The recommended cambelt service life here in Sweden is 6000Km, draw your own conclusions.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mats wrote:The recommended cambelt service life here in Sweden is 6000Km, draw your own conclusions.
Hey Iceman..surely you mean 60 000km`s.....
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yes.

Bit scared there for a moment eh? :lol:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

"Brand new" doesn't necessarily mean much. It can be new and 20 years old. If the blister pack it was in had a hole, or worse, if the belt was simply inside a carton box it could simply grow old which is an inescapable fact. With belts and other rubber parts as well as head gaskets, you must always try to find some mfg date code, usually expressed as say, 732 (2007, week 32) or 327 or some other easy format. Same as the datecode you look for in tires but you all care about that one!
Stupid question: are all pulleys the newer type or maybe one of them (the crank one) is the old trapezoidal teeth type? It has happened and it victimized the belt...twice!
Jim K.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jim,Pulley`s are all original 24v -164 based.The bottom crank pulley/gear wont fit if its not correct..
I have another engine ready to ship and both these belts were bought from an official Alfa Romeo dealer at the same time.
As a precaution Im removing the second belt and slicing it in half.
I will buy a new one for this engine.

Im surprised no one has asked what my opinion is as to why it failed..
I stated I had an idea at the top..

All my experience says this belt overheated and then started de laminating..
Dont ask me how but that is my honest opinion.
I checked all the pulleys and tensioner/idler bearings today..All are perfect and like new still.No heat discoloration or marks at all..
Even the cam pulleys are still as in new anodized condition...

I still say its excessive heat.. :!:

You reckon it may be time ex??..mmmm....
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mats wrote:Yes.

Bit scared there for a moment eh? :lol:
We need a pooping smiley! :wink:
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Overheated?? How?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Zamani wrote:Overheated?? How?
The million dollar question Zman...Unless it just could not handle the heat generated as std.ie: not meeting the heat range criteria..

I was quality manager for a rubber components manufacturer many years ago..We at that time made all the engine mounts,exhaust hanger bushes,suspension rubbers,grommets ,etc.etc. for Alfa Romeo and many other manufacturer..

From my experience the with rubber products I base my opinion on..