fredcsl
Silver
Silver

V6 24V Crankshaft trouble

Post by fredcsl »

Hello all,

the interesting thing when you disassemble an engine is that you always find wrong stuff you will have to repair/change.

Here is what i found on mine.
- 1 Dead rod bearing
- 1 Dead main journal bearing
- 1 Dead side bearing

place to the pics:

Overall wiew in the block:

Dead surface ... has to be remachined:

Dead side shell:

Should it be remachined or just polished with oil and sandpaper ... ?

Any of you experienced such thing ?

Just a comment, never run your engine when oil mix with water !
This is the result ....
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

How bad is the main journal bearing? looks like you might get away with polishing the crank journals with a crank polisher (not by hand)

However, the axial load surface, if this gets machined you will have to find an oversized bearing and I have never seen one. Was the bearing in backwards??

check crank oil passages too...

Just curious as to why you took engine apart....odd sounds??
fredcsl
Silver
Silver

Post by fredcsl »

Hello X-Rad !

I decided to disassemble this bloody hell engine because i am still trying to find cracks in my block (remember i have oil mixing with water).

You're right oversized bearing for axial load surface doesn't exist, my idea was to machine a specific one in brass to compensate the clearance.

I checked all the oil passages in the crank and the block and they are free. A guy there mentionned that oftenly racing clutch causes defect one this surface ...

The main journal bearing is just unpolished it is not damaged so i hope getting it back by myself with the rope and sand paper method.

I am sorry i didn't catch you when you said: "Was the bearing in backwards?" Do you mean the stuff behing of the pic ? If it is the answer is not, its my wife pens and brushes box ! :D
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Hi fredcsl:

Ahhh, I remember now....geeze..I hope you find the problem

as it turns out, I went through three head gasket changes and three different heads all for cylinder #5 leak at head gasket. I think now it is a 'sunken' liner or 'bowed' block problem and I am rebuilding a new engine with another 3.0 block.......

either way, I have to start with a good block....

I had a Centerforce puck clutch on another turbo project and it did wear the thrust washer....If you can machine your own with the oil grooves, that will probably work

Luckily you did the right thing and tear the engine down BEFORE any more damage......

just curious which kind of head gasket do you plan to use??
fredcsl
Silver
Silver

Post by fredcsl »

I ordered a set of Corteco at Rockauto, i am not sure this is the best product in the world but if i have to reopen again i don't want to put to much money in. In addition i will use Loctite black paste, i know it shouldn't be used with these new gaskets but i experienced that on a 3.6L BMW M5 engine and it runs perfectly !

I may found the trouble from my oil mixing, i tried to put my heads on the block without sleeve and gaskets and i discovered that the oil plug (the one with the o'ring) didn't matched correctly with the head. I can imagine that when assembling the overall thing and torquing the head, the tightening was not applied correctly on the head surface. Hopefully they are not wrapped (just been controled).
I solved the problem by wearing the plug with sand paper and drilled lightly the hole on the head. Of course i'll be obliged to use more paste in this area ... but i don't care if it works !

The incriminated area:

x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

depends how far you want to go, but you could plug that head galley hole and do something like this
Attachments
tap lines to back of head oil galley
tap lines to back of head oil galley
IMG_2621.JPG (123.39 KiB) Viewed 7588 times
fredcsl
Silver
Silver

Post by fredcsl »

Hey interesting !

Did you experience same trouble ?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Not me, but the guy who rebuilt a racing engine 2.5 did have oil galley leaks and blocked off his head to use this system instead. It just came with all the internal parts I bought from him (he actually converted a 2.5 block to 3.0 liners and 10.5:1 pistons, with 2.5 crank, and 2.5 heads, C+B cams....quite a Frankenstein) I bought the parts after the car was wrecked for Very good price to go into my rebuild.....

Also, Reinz head gaskets are now available in the USA for 3.0 12V, seems like a quality product...maybe they make for the 24v??
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

Do the grooves on the thrust washer face towards eachother or away from eachother?
Thanks,
Victor
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Towards the crank.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

thats what i thought... just wasnt sure what the word "shoulders" referred to in the shop manual.
grazie mille!