Enrique
Silver
Silver

Cold Start Problem

Post by Enrique »

Normally, after the car has not been driven for a day or more, it will not start on the first try. It cranks fine (I let it crank for around 5 seconds), but it doesn't start up. On the second or third try, it sputters, then starts. Then it runs great.

The weather has recently become colder. I tried to start it this morning and it took about 10 tries. I let it crank for up to 10 seconds during each try (I waited 30-45 seconds between tries). The temperature was around 45 Fareneheit. Finally it started. Then it ran great.

How can I fix this cold start problem?

Thanks, as always.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

check cold start injector...and

check cold start injector filter (tiny little nylon filter in jinector inlet)
Enrique
Silver
Silver

Where's the cold start injector filter?

Post by Enrique »

While cold outside, I removed the cold start injector from the plenum, cranked the engine, and no fuel squirted out.

Next I want to check the filter, as suggested. Where exactly is it? Is it in the injector body? Or, is it in the air intake plenum?

Thanks in advance.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

in the injector body....where the hose joins the body. You will have to remove the fuel hose to see it...its a very fine screen made out of plastic. You can use air to clean it out. Also check to see if you are getting the signal to fire the injector at the injector.

hth,
Scott
Enrique
Silver
Silver

problem solved - for now

Post by Enrique »

Using a test light, I confirmed that the injector was getting power when while the engine was cranking.

I removed the fuel hose from the injector, but I found no filter inside. Am I correct to assume that the filter is supposed to be inside the plastic fuel inlet tube over which the fuel hose fits?

In any event, using a needle, I cleaned inside the plastic inlet tube. Now the injector sprays. Now the Alfa starts when it's cold.

Question: Where can I get an injector filter so that this doesn't happen again?
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Enrique,

You were in the right spot.

I THINK (not sure) that you will have to buy new injectors as the filter screens are a part of the injector. :(