Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Maldi,

I suspect vibration would be a serious issue. Under boost I think it could be tamed easily because they could adjust the boost so all 6 cylinders put out the same amount of power. I have no idea how they handle the off boost issues, but they may have had a mechanism to keep the valves open on the unused cylinders. That should keep vibration down.... The bottom line is I really don't know, since I never even thought if this idea before, and I have never seen or worked on an engine like this.

For a high fuel economy V6 I think they should shrink it to about 1.8 liters with 11:1 compression and use boost and water injection to get the power back up. That should yield the 20% savings they were looking for, probably more.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

I think you missed that they run hi boost in to the dead side. so the air of the turbo is pushing the pistons. so some power is comming in on the dead 3.
so they are takeing power from the turbo.

so you have 3 good pistons and 3 weaker pistons pushing the car. in enco mode.
so they use the turbo pump as 2nd motor in this mode. and use the other 3 pistons as a transmission to extract power from the turbo.
if you ran the cam on the dead side at 2x or crank speed in enco mode it would even work beter grabing power from the turbo. might want to only do so under 3K to protect the valvetrane as 3k would be like 6K in normal mode
Last edited by slyalfa on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1987 black Milano Verde
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

You are correct, I did miss that aspect of it. My brain hurts from thinking about this engine.
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

it is kinda is growing on me but I would do it a bit different. but as gas prices climb I might try some sort of version. as it seem straight forward and if I could go from my 30-35MPG to 40-45MPG that would be worh it and get a more powerful boosed motot to boot.
1987 black Milano Verde
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Re: High efficiency V6

Post by MALDI »

For completeness, US patents 4452208 and 4455984 describe this invention in more detail.

To find the patents simply type the patent number into the Google patent search page:

http://www.google.com/patents

If you do that you'll also see that Ford followed up with two patents on the same theme:

US Pat. 6276138 - Filed Sep 10, 1999 - Ford Global Technologies, Inc.
US Pat. 7240480 - Filed Feb 17, 2006 - Ford Global Technologies, LLC

The second Ford patent is for an engine where half the cylinders are spark ignition and half are compression ignition!
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9