MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

High efficiency V6

Post by MALDI »

Check this out, Alfa's development of a high efficiency engine from the Busso V6.

http://www.gtv6-156gta.be/LaGTV6present ... rmodulaire

Google automatically translated text:

"Designed technically very interesting, but which has never been known for mass production: the V6 configuration "modular engine"! If today it seems only natural that all manufacturers are interested in the production of engines known as "clean", which pollute less and consume less, it must be remembered that this concern is not new . In early 1980, Alfa Romeo had developed a system called "modular engine" that the firm had applied to the 4-cylinder engine (a dozen taxis rolled with 2 L 4-cylinder leading to a decline in consumption on the order of 15%), but especially at 2.5 V6. It is a design in which an engine turbo is grafted onto a bench of cylinders, the other being fed bench cascade by exhaust gases from 1 bench! The V6 develops and configured the power of 192 hp at 5800 rpm with a maximum torque of 26 kgm at 4500 rpm, an increase of around 20%. The engine is capable of running most of the time on his bench 1st cylinders and may even reach a speed of 162 km / h in only récourant only one bench. All this is accompanied by a reduction in consumption of 29%! The 1st bench cylinder (4-5-6) is fed by a turbo-compressor powered by fresh air and subjected to a compression ratio of 12:1 (to recall the compression ratio is 9:1 in all cylinders the V6 atomosphérique the GTV6). The 2nd bench (cylinder 1-2-3) is financed by gazs exhaust from 1 bench with an intercooler (for cooling) and with a compression ratio of 8,3:1."

The exhaust of one bank powers the turbo which feeds the other bank.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

the pic makes it clear.

but I do not know why you would want to turbo only ½ of the motor..

seems like it would run strange too. stong pop, weak pop, strong pop,weak pop, etc
just seems like it would start to shake.

I see the gas saving of shuting down ½. the caddy did somthing like that too.
Attachments
GTV61987AutomobilismoP65det2.jpg
GTV61987AutomobilismoP65det2.jpg (37.49 KiB) Viewed 8999 times
1987 black Milano Verde
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

the theory behind it is that the turbo presure on one side is FORCING the pistons on there way up very hard....its a nice theory but i dont think id trust it in the long run

much like the caddy 4-6-8 that sucked!
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

It runs on the normally-aspirated cylinder bank in low power situations (at idle, highway cruising, etc), then when you want power it sends fuel to turbo charged bank of cylinders.

Notice that it has a knock sensor, something that was thought to be impossible to implement on the Busso V6.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I don't get it. There is a turbo on the non-turboed side? so you runt it with restriction when you don't need power and then power up the other side when you need boost? That sounds backwards...

Why would it be impossible to have knock sensors on the V6? Lots of solid lifter cars have it (including the 75 T).
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Mats wrote:I don't get it. There is a turbo on the non-turboed side? so you runt it with restriction when you don't need power and then power up the other side when you need boost? That sounds backwards...
Well, not reading Italian or Dutch I can only piece the story together. I guess you could run it on the three turbo charged cylinders without boost (because the normally aspirated cylinders would be off and they power the turbo) and then for power add fuel to the normally aspirated cylnders to get their power as well as an extra kick from the turbo for the forced -induction cylinders. But to me that seems backwards...

Anyone out there actually able to read the two articles on the site given in the first post???
Mats wrote:Why would it be impossible to have knock sensors on the V6? Lots of solid lifter cars have it (including the 75 T).
I was under the impression that the valve train noise from the push rods prevents the use of a knock sensor on the Busso V6, but I am not certain.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Italian or Dutch
This is no Dutch or the spelling suddenly changed :wink:

ps: It is French

Edit: Aaah, I see, on the bottom of the page there is a dutch press paper from '87.

ok ask:

They run a NA side with 12:1 CR
The other bank runs a 8.3:1 CR with a garrett T2

When cruising the car only runs on the na bank, the other bank only gets air pumped in from the turbo, to reduce pump losses. The turbo is powered by the exhaust gas of the na bank.

The idea behind it was that during cruising, the efficiency of an engine goes down due to pump losses and the lesser degree of filling of the combustion chamber.

On the test bench they had:
- 192 hp @ 5800 rpm
- 26 Kgm @ 4500 rpm and a 29% fuel saving

wrt a na 2.5 V6 with 165 hp and 22 Kgm

hmmm sounds like a fun engine to work on.... both banks have their own electronics :lol:
Last edited by Maurizio on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Maurizio wrote:ps: It is French
We Americans prefer to ignore the French. :wink:
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Maurizio, thanks for the translation! It is an innovative idea but I'm curious how it drove having unbalanced cylinders? Also, I wonder, does the car still exist? Perhaps in the Arese Museum Collection (but not on display) or rotting in some corner of a Milan warehouse.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

They actually calculated that the fuel savings could go up to 34% if they installed single throttle bodies on each cylinder of the NA bank.

In the paper is a phrase that there is a prototype alfa 90 with this engine.
And that they are currently (during the write down of the article :lol: ) testing engine in several cars.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

OK I see now so the fule is cut on the boost side but it gets full boost all the time WOT
so the boost pushes the pistons down on the intake stroke. if the valves could change it would work even better. say no compression stroke. just push down then open the exit valve on the way up. I would say have matches turbos on both sides and normal CR on both sides. or a bigger single turbo. and a bypass system to run the boost on both sides when you stomp on it.

Yes I want my cake and to eat it too...
1987 black Milano Verde
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I can't read the text, but I think I understand the reasoning behind this idea, and it could work.

This is an attempt to get around the problems of variations in effective compression ratios.

Most of us understand that under boost the cylinder's effective compression ratio is higher than the mechanical compression ratio because of the extra air in the cylinder. What's often overlooked is the opposite issue. When cruising at part throttle, off boost the effective compression ratio is well below the mechanical ratio due to the low manifold pressure resulting from the throttle blockage. This is inefficient, but we put up with it because we need to aviod knock at higher manifold pressures.

This engine runs three cylinders with very high compression normally aspirated for off boost fuel economy. Of course the compression in the normally aspirated cylinders is too high for boost so they only boost the other side. That other side is very inefficient during off boost driving so they shut it down under those conditions.

This idea is probably sound in theory, but I would do it differently.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

MALDI wrote:
Maurizio wrote:ps: It is French
We Americans prefer to ignore the French. :wink:
That is obviously a mistake on your behalf.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Greg, would you guess that the engine would have a 'rough' or 'unbalanced' feel to it because in many (most? all?) situations it would have different amounts of fuel in the cylinders of one bank versus the other and/or different peak pressures in the cylinders of one bank versus the other?

Mats, it is a pun, French being both a people and a language...
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

ah, got it. :wink:

Saab did make a v6 with half the engine boosted, or was it half the engine spinning a turbo? Anyway, it was deemed sucky by all and now they use both banks to feed the turbo.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!