Alan Dezzani
Silver
Silver

No OIl Pressue (?)

Post by Alan Dezzani »

When first start my GTV6 in the morning the oil pressure gage indicates about 55 PSI. But after some typical city driving, by the time the engine temperatures reaches 175°, the oil pressure drops to zero and stays there regardless of the engine load. Other than that engine appears to be fine. (No abnormal engine temperature and no burning of oil). Is it possible for the oil pump to stop working as the engine temperature increases?
I’ve heard the oil pressure measurement on the GTV6 can be incorrect. Is there a way to determine whether this is an electrical or mechanical problem? Is there a port on the block I can connect a mechanical gage to check the oil pressure?
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

At the rear of the block just below the head on the left side is a metal bulb about the size of a 2yr olds fist. It has one wire connected to the top....that is your oil pressure sender. If you can remove it without damaging it you can replace it with a test gage or another oil pressure sender.

Try checking your oil in the usuall manner....if you see sparklies in the sunlight you are making metal and the current pressure gage isn't lying to you. If you drain the oil (do an oil change) and you see sparklies in the oil your gage isn't lying to you. If your oil looks like oil with no sparkle then your sender or dash gage have problems.

The pressure senders on these cars are a bit notorious for failure.

hth,
Scott