Alfahannen
Silver
Silver

Timing Belt

Post by Alfahannen »

Hi Folks!

Can anyone describe the procedure of how to assemble the timing belt on the GTV6? (including the tricks not described in the workshop manual). I haven't managed to get it on yet. The problems arise when I when it's time to seat the belt on the second cam-wheel.

Best Regards Jonas
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Here is what I do, hope it helps.

Start with making sure the belt teeth are seated on the crank pully (and it is at top dead center, cams should be lined up with marks on head), get the belt as tight as you can between the crank and the right head (looking at the engine while standing in front of it, technically the left cam), and then turn the cam clockwise so it is one (maybe two, depends on how tight you got the belt) tooth off from the marks on the cam and head, move the other cam the same amount, the two should be equally off to start since there is very little distance between the two cams. run the belt over the oil pump/distr drive gear making sure all the time the belt is still tight on the right (tech left) side, and that the rotor button on the distributor is pointing towards the head bolt above the sparkplug well for the #1 cylinder (this is not as important, but it helps get the cap pointed in the right direction so the plug wires fit well). If you are using the mech tensioner, put it on the long stud first and against the belt (making sure it is still tight) and rotate it till the other hole lines up with the short stud while pressing against the belt, then push the whole thing all the way on the studs and put the nuts on,but leave loose. Use a 3/8 Torque wrench with a short adaptor, set to something like 17 lbs/ft or what ever the book says and turn the tensioner until the arrows slightly pass each other or until the torque wrench clicks, if it clicks before the arrows line up, go ahead and line the arrows up, just make sure you dont go too far past the arrows and then have the wrench click. While holding that, tighten up the nuts, the turn the engine over by hand and watch for the lines on the cams and head to line up when the mark on the crank lines up at "P" (I think it is "P", it is the second line to pass the marker, the first is the fire line...) If the cams don't line up, turn the engine over back to "P" and then take of the tensioner and relign up the marks making the apporpriate adjustments for the amount they were off the first time. If the marks on the cams line up, the readjust the tensioner to make sure the arrows point at each other, but don't let them go past each other, just let them ease down till the point, then retighten nuts. Go ahead and turn the enigne over a few more times just to make sure everything still lines up and you should be done. If you have the Hyd tensioner I will let someone else tell you how that works, I have not use one, but need to learn myself.

A lot of this is straight out of the book I think, but I am typing this from memory... Hope it helps.