SPAIN
Silver
Silver

ENGINE REBUILD

Post by SPAIN »

Hi, my name is Pancho, I was born in Australia but live in South-east Spain. I have a 1986 standard gtv6 2.5 bought in Spain 10 years ago. It has been laying on bricks for 7 years and now I have decided to repair it and drive it regulary. I had to stop the car due to high water and oil consumption. I have no knowledge on mechanics therfore a local work shop will do the job. I will be working on a budget sorting out the engine and bodywork first. Later I will upgrade suspension and brakes. I enjoy this forum but must confess I am more confused than ever. Could somebody please resume the tasks I should deal with whlie the engine is out of the car. I want it to be realiable and would prefer some extra torque and power but for street use only. I want to leave it as 2.500 cc if possible (legal problems here in Spain if I dont) . I read Paul Mitchells article suggesting to change the cam belt tensioner but have read otherwise in your forum. What should I do? Thanks.
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Hi Pancho!

...and Welcome to AlfaGTV6.com.

I´m sure you´ll get plenty of answers from better knowing, so I´ll leave it to them.

Hope You´ll like it here with us!

Seb
Last edited by Seb on Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of Team Rauk Race.

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
75 3.0 Race Car "The raukster"
SPAIN
Silver
Silver

engine rebuild

Post by SPAIN »

thanks Seb for your welcoming. Anybody willing to help?

Regards,

Pancho
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Hi Pancho,
If you follow this link it may be of some assistance.I have just completely rebuilt my 1986 2.5L engine.I have it running and so far am very satisfied with the results.If you have questions feel free to ask.

http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=40
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
SPAIN
Silver
Silver

ENGINE REBUILD

Post by SPAIN »

thanks Murray,

I'll read through it and get back to you.

Adios.
SPAIN
Silver
Silver

engine rebuild

Post by SPAIN »

Thanks Murray for your info. My engine is currently in peices and having the engine bay painted. Increasing compression to 10:1 by reducing the heads, will this affect the engine in the future? I am more interested in torque than Hp at high revs. How would this increase in compression affect my engine?

Regards,

Pancho
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Pancho shaving the heads slightly to increase CR shouldn't have any negative effects on your engine and will give it a little more "snap"Keep in mind that you will be moving your camshafts a little closer to the top of the engine block and you'll have to re-time the cams to compensate.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with black staining around the water jackets of their engine blocks (After removing the heads)? Mine has them and it's possible to lightly scratch the surface with a small pick whereas it's much harder scratching on the shiny alloy areas. The surface looks ok inside the jackets though. My mechanic thinks that the alloy has corroded and I would be better off getting a new block/engine. Anyone care to comment? Thanks,
Brian
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Does anyone have two nice heads to go on a 2.5L in Australia? Mine's both corroded and I have just found from the local dealer who has a set but he wants AUD$1650 each (USD$1155) each!!!! That's without valves or cams!!
The other option is to find a good 3.0L motor. Hope someone in Oz can steer me in a positive direction. Cheers,
Brian
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Yes Brian
Pm me I have a complete 2.5 motor and live in your area!
John
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw