Veglia Borletti
Silver
Silver

24 v performance cam on standard engine..?

Post by Veglia Borletti »

Hello!

I just wonder if there are anybody out there who have tried some performance cams on a 24v engine with standard comp ratio. The engine is for my GTV6 track car, and I would love to have som more action in the high rpm range..

Anybody who can giv me som advice?

Cheers! :)

I know cat cams have severeal cams:

http://www.catcams.be
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: 24 v performance cam on standard engine..?

Post by Mats »

Just out of curiosity, is this Mats old car?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Veglia Borletti
Silver
Silver

Mats wrote:Just out of curiosity, is this Mats old car?
Hei!

No its not Mats old car. But I will drive in the same class with it :) There is also a 75 with 24v engine in the series. But both that car and Mats old car have stock engines I think? Would be fun to have just a little bit more power than them :wink: .. I can change my cams without changing class. :)

Her is my car:

I won class 3 in the corsa italaniana series this year, with an quite worn out 12v QV engine.

Her is the battle of first and second place in tha last race this year. My car infront of the camera car. (164 3,0) I had problems with my differential and overheating.. but i managed to win.. But it was close.. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZtfTQ0Pjts

Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Maybe GTA cams? I communicated with Jim K about 24V cams, and he told me the profile from Clio Grp N is good. 9.9mm 286*. This is just as a side note as I have no real insight or experience with 24V cams.
Dr. Alban
Veglia Borletti
Silver
Silver

Yes.. something like that maybe.. Has anyone tried GTA cams in a 3 litre?

:)
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

Veglia Borletti? named after a famous instrument?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi, this is a bit of a pointless post as I dont know of the specs of my inlet cams I have on my standard 166 3.0l engine. BUT I do have 20kw more than the standard motor through 'high cams', non restrictive exhaust, custom intake and really good mapping on dyno with an after market ecu (pro ex gotech). This extra power gave me a serios edge on my rivals on long high speed tracks but sadly I am no better on the shorter twisty tracks as I have lost a lot of midrange punch. If I had a gearbox with correct ratios for every track it would be no problem. The motor came out a rolled 166 and all i did was check journals and send valves off to be lenghtened to accomodate the lift of the cam. In order to stay in the power you need to shift at 7000rpm to as peak is about 6200-6300 to catch the curve in the next gear. I have compared this motor to my other three 3.0 24v motors.
Sorry got no specs on intake cams.
Must say your car looks really good.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Wow! 20kw is not small, especially coming from a stock engine with just cams, exhaust and tuning. I guess one could also ring up AHM as those chaps must know a thing or two about 4-valve cam profiles. Another alternative is to get Newman cams, but I do not know how reliable they are. Price is quite reasonable.
Dr. Alban
Veglia Borletti
Silver
Silver

I have mailed AH motorsports, but no answer yet.. Maybe its because of my bad english.. :roll:

Kevin, do you know who made your cams? :)
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

For 24v profiles, ask Barry. I sent him 2 profiles a while ago, one fast road and one Godzilla. Maybe he made a couple of sticks and would be willing to part with them! :wall:
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi . My cam design(GTA 2) comes from Glenwood motors. Dawie does not cut them himself. Ironically it get cut from the chaps who runs one of the works BMW team. He was an ex Alfa driver in his day. As JK said maybe barry has a set still. If Barry is not available or in Angola mail JJ in the States and he will get for you.
Veglia,Are you going to use solid lifters, shims with hydraulic lifters or lenghten valves. Nothing wrong with your English.
Veglia Borletti
Silver
Silver

Thanks!!

I am open for suggestions.. :D 24v is all new for me..

The engine is now completely standard, with hydraulic lifters etc. I dont have the money to build something crazy just now, but I would love to buy cams that are just a little bitt more agile than the standard ones. After all, this is a track car. :)

Do these GTA stage II cams work with hydraulic lifters?

I also plan to buy an aftermarket ECU.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Veglia
After re reading this post i forgot to mention that I compared my 166 3.0 engine with a 164 3.0l 24v engine which in standard trim already has more power. 166 has 45mm intake runners while 164 has 41mm and I think the compression ratio is differnt. Maybe some one could clarify that.
You can use hydraulic lifters with GTA 2 spec but then you must lenghten the valves. The chaps who did my cams did my valves so there is no error.
Cheers
Kevin
Veglia Borletti
Silver
Silver

Hello!

I know about the intake runners.. Squadra tuning and alfissimo have them for sale.. :) I will buy them if I dont go for throttle bodies..

My cams are now in england for regrinding.. Hope it will turn out fine..

Here is my engine:

Alfa 90 2,5 donor engine:

A friend of mine who has build this 75 will help me with the convertion!

kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

While we are on subject of intake runners can anyone explain this. If the 3.0 166 and 3.2 gta went up to 45mm intake runners why have they all still got same diameter headers of 41mm like the 3.0 164. I have a set of 45mm custom made headers but never put them on my 3.0 166 motor as I thought if Alfa did not think it was necessary and they already upgraded the intakes .
Bottom line is should intake runners match headers diameter. Mats, Jim , MD anyone, anyone ..