bcal
Gold
Gold

Brass and aluminium

Post by bcal »

I made up some brass coolant inlets to replace the rusted out steel ones in my heads.
I thought I was a real clever dick until someone pointed out that brass and aluminum ain't real good bedfellows.

I ask a guy who's into boats and told me the same thing.
Electrolysis results in corrosion of the aluminum.

But I'm confused because both the heads and the block contain screwed brass plugs and upon removing them I could see no sign of corrosion.

I can make these fittings up easy enough from aluminum if I have to.
Brett
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Re: Brass and aluminium

Post by GarthW »

Yep brass is good, thats why our standard radiator's are so good for a 2 core.

I wouldnt go ali from brass.

Now i just ordered a new radiator for mine, i had the $700 option of having a custom made aluminum, or have one made for nearly half that consisting of brass and copper, which will last alot longer than the aluminum and wont corrode. I had to order it from interstate, for i didnt want to wait till jan of next year to have one made, yep their that busy!

So for only $420 i have a new 3-core radiator which is more efficient of course, but the down side is that its heavier, but how much more, i dont know, but wont matter, so after all my blurble, i'd go brass anyday over aluminum! :lol: :D

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Al_Cam
Silver
Silver

Post by Al_Cam »

I'd say Brett is more worried about the electrolysis when installing brass tubes into his aluminium heads.

From a lot of time with yacht masts, Aluminium and Steel is bad. Chromate paste fixes that, but that doesn't have a temperature issue.

I understand that brass is factory original on some ALFA engines. If no one comes up with any experience here, maybe have a look in the engine rebuild section of www.alfabb.com.

Also I've always noticed on another Italian product, an old Bialetti coffee pot. It's cast aluminium with a brass safety valve. I've got one that's over 50 years old and no sign of corrosion. That gets heat and water.

I'll try to remember to dig out an old metallurgy text book and look it up.

AL
Al Campbell
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

Yep, i reckon its mainly a problem with salt water.
Provided I use good coolant inhibitors there shouldn't be a problem.

I made up some brass fittings and then some out of aluminium.
I prefer the aluminium.
Brett
BaloccoRob
Silver
Silver

Post by BaloccoRob »

I have been wondering about this "electrolysis," can it occur from using stainless steel hardware in the aluminum engine?

I am sick of broken water pump bolts and thermostat bolts. I want something that wont corrode in the engine, but then again... I don't want the engine corroding away!!!
-1985 GTV6 3.0L
-1982 GTV6 Balocco #140
-1983 Spider Veloce

Driving an Alfa Romeo is my life, everything else is just waiting.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Don't use stainless steel bolts in the engine! They will break when trying to remove them from the engine. The material reacts to the heatcycles it goes through and they won't come loose anymore.
Drive it like you stole it...