DrMPH
Silver
Silver

First Post, another 3.0 12V

Post by DrMPH »

This is my first post on this forum, though I have been working on Alfa's for years, and have had many Milano/75s.
I am building an engine, and am going to lay my ideas out, any suggestions would be appreciated.
3.0 12V
Lightened flywheel,
balanced rotating assembly.
10.0:1 "S" pistons.
"S" cams (something larger later?)
1mm larger intake valves (not sure if "back cut" still at machine shop)
std ex valves
Cleaned up/ported heads, may post pictures for your approval
currently using ceramic coated 3.0 manifolds. port matched/smoothed as well as gasket will allow.
Total Seal rings
MegaSquirt
27Lb/hr injectors, at standard Alfa fuel pressure

Either Milano/75 plenum with enlarged runners and modified runner bosses. easy
OR
164 L? intake plates with SPICA 42mm throttle bodies (split, turned, and bolted to the manifold), with whatever kind of runners I come up with (Length suggestions?) FUN!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
This is the first time I have had the chance to hot rod one of these engines, and it is for my car (not a customers), so I am looking for streetability, power, and flexibility. Roughly in that order.
Thanks
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Post, another 3.0 12V

Post by Zamani »

Have you built the engine? Why don't you just buy my engine? I have an engine with 10.5:1 JE Pistons, total seal rings (Paul Spruell) and CB Stradale Medio cams, SZ exhaust manifold, big injectors and ported runners. Is pretty quick (just as quick as a stock 75 3.0 24V). Probably cheaper to get this engine from me than building one from scratch :) .
Dr. Alban
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

DrMPH wrote: Either Milano/75 plenum with enlarged runners and modified runner bosses. easy
OR
164 L? intake plates with SPICA 42mm throttle bodies (split, turned, and bolted to the manifold), with whatever kind of runners I come up with (Length suggestions?) FUN!
If you're feeling adventurous with building an inlet manifold, longer runners of about 400-450mm from the back of the valve should achieve a decent improvement in low and mid range torque. If made with a nice taper from about 45-50mm (+ some good bell mouths) down to port diameter it should go on to get dcent power too.
450mm length should be tuned to give a torque peak around 4000rpm. What the cams are best suited for is another story, tho.
DrMPH
Silver
Silver

Post by DrMPH »

I appreciate the offer on your engine, though shipping may be a deal breaker, and I have already begun the process on my engine.

As far as intake runners go, a trip to the junk yard this weekend should yield some interesting ideas. Some of the more modern cars these days have plastic runners, very long, which should be easy to play with and not absorb heat as much.
I re-measured the SPICA throttles, they are acutally right at 39.5mm, which seems ideal to me, luckily I have piles of these things!