Exception
Silver
Silver

Catalytic converters needed for CSC exhaust

Post by Exception »

Hi!

Im moving to the states and taking my GTV6 with me. It needs to have CAT's installed, and I have the CSC exhaust system.
does anyone know of any cat's I could fit in, which arnt' rediculously priced?

All I could find were these on the following page. They're hard to get by though and I can't seem to get a price...
http://www.alfacentro.com/features/csc/
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

you could get any free flow cats and have an exhaust shop weld them on... how about magnaflow?
Exception
Silver
Silver

Post by Exception »

Ok, that is good news. Do I not need to know certain sizes, gauges and so on?

How much money are we thinking about for two of these little babies?
Exception
Silver
Silver

Post by Exception »

I'm looking around, but dont seem to be able to find the correct sizes. Is this something I can just measure up under the car, and then hope when the exhaust moves a bit it won't rattle against the tunnel, or should I really get what is 'supposed' to go under the car?

I think these come in the neighborhood of fitting:
http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/universal/531.aspx
Exception
Silver
Silver

Post by Exception »

Ok, found what I was looking for. For future reference, you take the smallest cat's you can find in diameter (4 inch or so) and you have them fitted by an exhaust shop behind the flex pipes, under the heat shield. You will need to make four sets of flanges, one on the center muffler, and one on the end of the headers. The cat's take two as well. The things then fit in between, protected by the heat shield, and eliminating the nasty slip-fit connection between the headers and the center muffler.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I would suggest that you investigate the practicallity in bringing your GTV6 into the US. I'm not sure where you are coming from, and whether the importation of your GTV6 is beyond 1 year (possibility of excemption), but if you are unfamiliar with US regulations I suggest to double and triple check everything and consider if it makes sense. When I moved from Europe to the US in 1995, I quickly realized that things work very differently.

Good luck!

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Exception
Silver
Silver

Post by Exception »

Hi Jess,
Ive been investigating it for a while now, and although its not easy, it doesnt seem impossible either.
It is indeed for more than one year, so no exemption o that account. The car IS older than 21 years so no EPA check, but it is both EPA and DOT certificated, since it is a US spec car. Makes it a lot easier.
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I did the random tech cats and the CSC headers on mine, the cats were expense, random tech is only about 20 miles from where I live, but still not very cost effective, plus I was charged about $165 to have them installed along with bolt up flanges to the center section (well worth the cost, no more slip joints). I forget what I paid for the cats, but it weren't cheap...