mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Cam belt change

Post by mjr »

Hey all. My water pump packed in yesterday, :x and I have to change it fast tommorow. I dont have access to a timing gun or the tools I normally would have to change the cam belt where I am, and I dont have the time to take the cam covers off either. I have about 4 hours to do it all tommorow. My intention is to cheat, by removing the belt cover and locking out the cam sprockets with two ring wrenches locked together using beefy grips. I will also mark the pulleys in relation to the heads, along with marking the front crank pulley. Then remove the belt, and change the water pump. I haven't changed the cam belt using this "iffy" cheat method before, but have no choice where the car is at the moment. Any one else changed the timing belt this way before??
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cam belt change

Post by Zamani »

Make sure the crank position, and distributor position are also marked. Use lots of marker/white out/liquid paper to mark those positions. It's possible to do it with lots of mark on the various pulleys and block.
Dr. Alban
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I would still put crank at TDC, cams at marks, etc. Even if you don't have your 41 mm socket to turn the crank this is doable by putting the car in a high'ish gear and push it to turn the engine over. This way if something does go wrong you are in a well-known position, making it easy to recover. If you have computer access, which it seems you do, you can print the cam template, and you have all the reference points (even if your cam covers don't have the cam marks). The template seems more accurate anyway.
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

good point Jes, I will rotate her to TDC to start, before locking the cams out (will have to dig out car disk, can't remember what TDC is on the 2.5 euro crank? if memory serves me right it's T mark?????, anyway no big deal, I'll look it up). Mine has the early cam covers with no marks unfortunately :roll: . wheres the cam template at to download?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

'P' as in punto
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

mjr wrote:wheres the cam template at to download?
I don't recall the URL. It was created by a 164 alfista. I have a pdf version stored I can email if you PM me your email address. It will not let me attach the pdf file here...
Jes
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

cheers mats, jes I'll mail ya :D
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

by the way, here is the cheecky monkey!!! :D

ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

mjr wrote:by the way, here is the cheecky monkey!!! :D
Is that the anthracite color? One of my favorits for both GTV6 and 75/Milano. BTW, emailed you the template.
Jes
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

jes, received, many thanks, appreciated. yes its factory "Nero 909", slightly lighter than anthracite, though it seems darker in the picture.
kanga
Silver
Silver

Post by kanga »

4 hours!!, I am in the process of doing the water pump and cam belt and I have done the belt on a 164 before, but this is something else. The manual is vague, trying to locate the lower tensioner bolt took 2hrs as it is hidden behind the spring and no where does it say release the spring. Everything has to come out, inc radiater and bonnet. What a nightmare.14 hours i may be lucky! anyone who has not done it before and does it in 4 hours is a genius. It took me ages to get the coolant plugs out to flush the coolant alone. you need the hands of a child and the strength of strong fit man to do these jobs as well as the skills of a circus contortionist to do this job, I bet you were late for your appointment.