bcal
Gold
Gold

Alfarod goes V6

Post by bcal »

Just thought I'd share a few pics of the trial fit of a 2,5L into my 28 Ford hotrod.

Out goes the old 4 banger. I have plans to put this into a lighter rod at some stage.

And in goes the big block Alfa (Well in sheer physical size at least).

Looks sweet 8) fills the whole engine bay. Looks a bit like a Hemi with 2 pots lopped off.

This is just the bare block with heads etc to check how/if it will all fit in this very narrow engine bay. Fits like a glove. :D

Only problems I have so far are: the stock exhaust manifolds don't fit so I'll have to custom make some new ones, I have to put a dog leg in the steering shaft which also involves rotating the rack 45 deg, and I need to fab up some new engine mounts.
All in a days work for a rodder :)

Can't wait to get her on the road this coming spring.
Brett
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Alfarod goes V6

Post by MD »

Nothing wrong with choice of power plant. Makes a welcome change from all the Yank stuff. Will be even sweeter when you put a supercharger on it and give the donk a chance to strutt its stuff.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That's very cool. I like to see this sort of thing. There are plenty of Alfa V6s around, they look great and provide good power and fuel economy. I think this is a good choice for a hot rod. I would rather see it with yellow powder coated head covers and plenum, and of course with yellow vacuum lines.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

The covers etc are just temporary. Sandblasted and sprayed with red crinkle paint (red or black are the only options unfortunately).
Eventually I will fit the earlier GTV6 plenum and covers, fully polished.
I may even grind off the Alfa logo just to keep 'em guessing.
I have the plenum and if anyone here in Oz has a spare set of covers I'd be very interested.

Blowers? they suck!
Eventually maybe but I'll have to beef up the rest of the running gear, brakes etc.
But for the moment this rather modest increase in capacity and performance will keep my engineer happy. After that :twisted:
Brett
bialbero-racing
Silver
Silver

Post by bialbero-racing »

Hi Brett
Good to see you have finally gone the V6 route

I like the idea of no-name rocker covers I have already started down that route.
I am also taking my 'A' to the next level of deception with a homemade intake manifold with three old style twin choke carbs acting as butterflys for the efi and a pari of old school cone exhausts.

to see further pictures of the model A running the alfa V6 go to
http://www.norfolkstreetcruisers.741.com/A_Build.htm

Lionel
Attachments
carbside.JPG
carbside.JPG (24.01 KiB) Viewed 8783 times
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

Hi Lionel, she's lookin good mate.
There are several alfarods currently under construction. Over here there is a V6 (75/ 32 coupe) in WA and a 4 banger (alfetta/T model) in Tassie (currently for sale).

There was also another A closed cab in the UK with Giulia running gear. The website was called A Bones or something like that. Do you know of it?

I've posted a link to your site on the aussie hotrod forum I frequent. I have a thread there on my v6 install.
http://www.ozrodders.com/board/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
Brett
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

bcal, just a quick point, you really can't polish the head covers and plenum, at least not in the normal sense of the word. They are made from some type of metal that will not get shiny without some sort of coating. It's not like polishing aluminum. You can powder coat them, nickel plate them, or chrome them. Polishing them will just result in essentially the same dull finish you started with, only smoother.

Greg Gordon,
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

Thanks for that tip Greg, saves me a lot of time on the buffing wheel.
I did manage to get a nice shine from the old Nord cover so i thought these would be the same.
Smooth with a powder coat yellow would look nice.
Brett
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

This is about as much shine as you can expect if you have a go..I'd go the yellow.
Attachments
3 Litre Plenum Convesrion.jpg
3 Litre Plenum Convesrion.jpg (186.74 KiB) Viewed 8718 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

Some more progress.
Engine is now fully rebuilt to stock specs.
Old liners were rehoned and crank linnished and fitted with standard bearing.
Bottom end was rebalanced and heads slightly ported.
Cams, valves etc all stock.

All fits snuggly under the bonnet (hood) except for the alternator.
Need to get a smaller unit, any suggestions?

I also need to find a V6 font yoke and spline to weld to my 4 cylinder tailshaft, so if anyone in Oz has any leads on where to find one I be much appreciative.

Now for the wiring of the megasquirt and all the other little fiddly bits.
Brett
bialbero-racing
Silver
Silver

Hi Brett
have you thought of using the Gotech engine management system.
I an told that unlike the megasquirt is will read the standard Alfa trigger wheel instead of having to have a ford pattern made.
i little more cost on the initial outlay but no additional non alfa parts to have made and fitted.
My V6 A is also moving along. latest updates can be found on
http://www.norfolkstreetcruisers.co.uk/A_Build.htm
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

Yours is coming along just nice Lionel.
I already have a megasquirt (2 in fact) and have loads of experience with them, so using one was a no brainer for me.
Besides I had no trigger wheel to begin with, nor any other alfa sensors besides the CLT sensor which I swapped out for a GM anyway.
I also used a GM MAT sensor and a Ford TPS sensor as the alfa only has a switch.

I used the same basic setting as I had been running for the 4 banger, except changing to 6 cylinder where appropriate and flattening out the VE table.

She failed to fire first go on account that I had wired up the ignition relay back to front and blew a fuse.

Second attempt... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGTd4brn51Y :D :D

The exhaust is now fitted and she's much quieter. Engine is running real smooth and she's very responsive to the throttle.

I'm now just waiting on delivery of a V6 tailshaft to adapt to my existing one and then I can get on with the rest of the tuning.
Brett
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

It looks really nice. I like to see an old fashioned hot rod with something other than a Chevy V8.

Greg Gordon,
bialbero-racing
Silver
Silver

Hi Brett
'A' is coming along slowly
club site address is now www.norfolkstreetcruisers.co.uk

I have just taken the leap to Megasquirt
is there and chance you could send me a copy of your map as a starting point?
is there anything I need to look out for?

Lionel Body